"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Cook

Easiest and best tasting sloppy joes

This is a recipe I got from my aunt and I make these at least a couple times a month, super easy and tastes WAY better then the canned crud!

I start with about 2.5 lbs of 90% lean hamburger. I find I don't drain the 90% and it leaves just enough fat for great taste but not greasy. Brown the hamburger on high heat until all of it is brown AND most of the liquid is also gone. It does take a while for the liquid to evaporate, you can drain instead but I prefer the flavor with that little bit of fat left in. turn the heat to medium-low. I don't have measurements for the rest, its really up to your personal taste. Ketchup and regular yellow mustard, probably 5-1 ketchup to mustard, Mccormick's chili powder (yes, using this brand is very important, it has a different taste the is perfect for this recipe) and Siracha.

The method I use is to add the ketchup first, I squirt it directly in the pan and then a couple small squirts of mustard. Add much less ketchup then you think you need at first, it goes farther than you think once it heats up. Sprinkle chili powder on top, I would say start with about a tablespoon. Then add a little or a lot of siracha, depending on how spicy you like things. Mix it all together well and taste it. If its too dry or too sour add more Ketchup, carefully, too much and it can ruin it. If there is plenty of sauce but its a bit too sweet add a little more mustard and/or chili powder. Once you have it right let it cook for about 5-10 more minutes to get the raw chili powder taste out and taste it one more time, adjust if needed.

Serve it on nice soft buns with dill pickle chips, I like tater tots on the side.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds interesting. We have settled on Aaron MC Cargo Jr.'s recipe from the Food Network, but use 90/10 ground beef in place of the tenderloin he uses. I have way better uses for beef tenderloin than sloppy Joe's.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Sounds interesting. We have settled on Aaron MC Cargo Jr.'s recipe from the Food Network, but use 90/10 ground beef in place of the tenderloin he uses. I have way better uses for beef tenderloin than sloppy Joe's.
I prefer mine with no veggies, its a texture thing and I don't like mine very sweet, so his recipe would not work for me. I am not an A1 fan either, his recipe seems like it closer to the "manwich" type that I don't care for. My recipe is kind of the anti-manwich.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
I prefer mine with no veggies, its a texture thing and I don't like mine very sweet, so his recipe would not work for me. I am not an A1 fan either, his recipe seems like it closer to the "manwich" type that I don't care for. My recipe is kind of the anti-manwich.
Doesn't taste like any manwich I've ever had, (stopped eating that stuff close to 30 years ago). But to each his/her own.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
We don't like manwich either. To sweet. I use McCormick sloppy joe mix. We rarely have them so McCormick is fine for us.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I actually am not fond of any of the heavy tomato/chili sloppy joe recipes anymore. I much prefer scramburger loose meat type recipes like this one Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!! | Roadfood.com Discussion Board
Old 07-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Does anyone put pork n beans in their Sloppy Joes? My recipe is exactly the same as bossman minus the chili powder plus the pork n beans. Has to be Van de Kamps brand.

Put the beans in first, then the mustard, and the ketchup last.

Everyone turns up their nose until they try it. Its the way grandma use to do it.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Sous Chef

The manwich stuff in the can is horrible. My first wife made it that way. Most of it went to the cats.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Does anyone put pork n beans in their Sloppy Joes? My recipe is exactly the same as bossman minus the chili powder plus the pork n beans. Has to be Van de Kamps brand.

Put the beans in first, then the mustard, and the ketchup last.

Everyone turns up their nose until they try it. Its the way grandma use to do it.
Hmm never heard of that but I would try it. I use to use Van de Kamps pork and beans until I tried Bushes, can't go back to Van de Kamp now. I tried once, just didn't taste right anymore.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Our kids and our grand kids all love Manwich.
I learned many years ago to pick my battles.
My wife will make it when she knows I will not be joining them for dinner.

Tags
None