Easiest and best tasting sloppy joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
This is a recipe I got from my aunt and I make these at least a couple times a month, super easy and tastes WAY better then the canned crud!

I start with about 2.5 lbs of 90% lean hamburger. I find I don't drain the 90% and it leaves just enough fat for great taste but not greasy. Brown the hamburger on high heat until all of it is brown AND most of the liquid is also gone. It does take a while for the liquid to evaporate, you can drain instead but I prefer the flavor with that little bit of fat left in. turn the heat to medium-low. I don't have measurements for the rest, its really up to your personal taste. Ketchup and regular yellow mustard, probably 5-1 ketchup to mustard, Mccormick's chili powder (yes, using this brand is very important, it has a different taste the is perfect for this recipe) and Siracha.

The method I use is to add the ketchup first, I squirt it directly in the pan and then a couple small squirts of mustard. Add much less ketchup then you think you need at first, it goes farther than you think once it heats up. Sprinkle chili powder on top, I would say start with about a tablespoon. Then add a little or a lot of siracha, depending on how spicy you like things. Mix it all together well and taste it. If its too dry or too sour add more Ketchup, carefully, too much and it can ruin it. If there is plenty of sauce but its a bit too sweet add a little more mustard and/or chili powder. Once you have it right let it cook for about 5-10 more minutes to get the raw chili powder taste out and taste it one more time, adjust if needed.

Serve it on nice soft buns with dill pickle chips, I like tater tots on the side.

Sounds interesting. We have settled on Aaron MC Cargo Jr.'s recipe from the Food Network, but use 90/10 ground beef in place of the tenderloin he uses. I have way better uses for beef tenderloin than sloppy Joe's.:LOL:

Sounds interesting. We have settled on Aaron MC Cargo Jr.'s recipe from the Food Network, but use 90/10 ground beef in place of the tenderloin he uses. I have way better uses for beef tenderloin than sloppy Joe's.:LOL:

I prefer mine with no veggies, its a texture thing and I don't like mine very sweet, so his recipe would not work for me. I am not an A1 fan either, his recipe seems like it closer to the "manwich" type that I don't care for. My recipe is kind of the anti-manwich. :cool:

I prefer mine with no veggies, its a texture thing and I don't like mine very sweet, so his recipe would not work for me. I am not an A1 fan either, his recipe seems like it closer to the "manwich" type that I don't care for. My recipe is kind of the anti-manwich. :cool:

Doesn't taste like any manwich I've ever had, (stopped eating that stuff close to 30 years ago). But to each his/her own.

Last edited:

We don't like manwich either. To sweet. I use McCormick sloppy joe mix. We rarely have them so McCormick is fine for us.

Does anyone put pork n beans in their Sloppy Joes? My recipe is exactly the same as bossman minus the chili powder plus the pork n beans. Has to be Van de Kamps brand.

Put the beans in first, then the mustard, and the ketchup last.

Everyone turns up their nose until they try it. Its the way grandma use to do it.

Does anyone put pork n beans in their Sloppy Joes? My recipe is exactly the same as bossman minus the chili powder plus the pork n beans. Has to be Van de Kamps brand.

Put the beans in first, then the mustard, and the ketchup last.

Everyone turns up their nose until they try it. Its the way grandma use to do it.

Hmm never heard of that but I would try it. I use to use Van de Kamps pork and beans until I tried Bushes, can't go back to Van de Kamp now. I tried once, just didn't taste right anymore.

Our kids and our grand kids all love Manwich.
I learned many years ago to pick my battles.
My wife will make it when she knows I will not be joining them for dinner.

Do you really need a recipe for Sloppy Joes? Just brown some ground meat, drain off excess fat, add barbecue sauce, heat through, and pour copious amounts over burger buns.

I brown my basic meat ball mix (2 parts beef, 1 part pork, one part veal) add Grandma's spaghetti sauce, and serve over crusty rolls. I call them Sloppy Giuseppes!

Never tasted Manwich, that I know of. When it was introduced I was in a sort of hippie, eat the earth phase.
:ermm:
Come to think, might still be in it.

This is a recipe I got from my aunt and I make these at least a couple times a month, super easy and tastes WAY better then the canned crud!

I start with about 2.5 lbs of 90% lean hamburger. I find I don't drain the 90% and it leaves just enough fat for great taste but not greasy. Brown the hamburger on high heat until all of it is brown AND most of the liquid is also gone. It does take a while for the liquid to evaporate, you can drain instead but I prefer the flavor with that little bit of fat left in. turn the heat to medium-low. I don't have measurements for the rest, its really up to your personal taste. Ketchup and regular yellow mustard, probably 5-1 ketchup to mustard, Mccormick's chili powder (yes, using this brand is very important, it has a different taste the is perfect for this recipe) and Siracha.

The method I use is to add the ketchup first, I squirt it directly in the pan and then a couple small squirts of mustard. Add much less ketchup then you think you need at first, it goes farther than you think once it heats up. Sprinkle chili powder on top, I would say start with about a tablespoon. Then add a little or a lot of siracha, depending on how spicy you like things. Mix it all together well and taste it. If its too dry or too sour add more Ketchup, carefully, too much and it can ruin it. If there is plenty of sauce but its a bit too sweet add a little more mustard and/or chili powder. Once you have it right let it cook for about 5-10 more minutes to get the raw chili powder taste out and taste it one more time, adjust if needed.

Serve it on nice soft buns with dill pickle chips, I like tater tots on the side.

where's the small pieces of bell pepper??? :LOL:

I either just wing sloppy joes or use McCormicks. It's not the kind of thing that needs a recipe.

I often use turkey because it benefits from aggressive seasoning

Once in awhile I'll make Iowa Maidrites, which are a terrific alternative to saucy sloppies

Tater Tots are always a preferred accompaniment!

Hmm never heard of that but I would try it. I use to use Van de Kamps pork and beans until I tried Bushes, can't go back to Van de Kamp now. I tried once, just didn't taste right anymore.
I always buy Bushes but I found they are too thick for sloppy Joes. So I keep a couple cans of Van de Kamps around just for that.

I tried Manwich once, way back when it first appeared on grocer's shelves, and I thought it was pretty bad. Just did not like the flavor of it. But then I've always made my own since I was in my early teens, starting with my Mom's method, then adding or modifying as I got more into exploring.

I brown the hamburger with chopped onion. I make it with a splash of cider vinegar along with Ketchup and a shot of mustard. I don't use any chili powder (nothing against that, just never thought to try it). Depending on my mood, I may add some Hunt's fire roasted tomatoes to it too, usually the roasted garlic flavor. It's pretty hard to ruin it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom