Export rib?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
We ordered rib-eye roast, but instead they got Export-rib. Whatever that means. Tried to Google it, could not find any good information. Is anybody familiar with that cut of meat? How should I cook it? How is it different from rib-eye?:(

We ordered rib-eye roast, but instead they got Export-rib. Whatever that means. Tried to Google it, could not find any good information. Is anybody familiar with that cut of meat? How should I cook it? How is it different from rib-eye?:(

That just means short cut, do the same as a rib-eye roast...

Sometimes I cut them this way, I like the thicker fat layer but if I am going to use bacon I will "short cut"... Normally it is more expensive of a cut too, so if they charged you the same you got a deal...

Cook it the same way you cook your roasts. Is this already all tied? If you are worried about not enough fat {I am not there to see it} cover it with bacon. Normally you only do very well marbled cuts in this way, since they have good fat in them they dont need that fat covering them, also I like to cook them lower in temp than a normal 109 or 112...

Prime rib is easy, I like to dry it, then coat it with lipton onion soup mix, then 15-20 minutes HOT, lower the temp, pull out at 120-125, cover with a towel until it hits 130ish, and cut and serve..
most important things about a rib roast is never put a cold or wet roast in the oven, never cover it, never go over medium {some go med well, I wouldn't}, let it sit before serving. You follow them tips and you cant mess it up..

I baste it sometimes, sometimes I dont, I rub butter on the end cuts, some times I dont, I trim more fat off sometimes sometimes I leave a ton of it on there, I tie it sometimes sometimes I net it, sometimes I go boneless, sometimes I do the bone on, sometimes I cut it from the bone and then retie it to the bone... Just depends on what I feel like doing, its a really easy cut to get perfect everytime...

Good luck with it, now I want to cook a rib...

Last edited:
I just called my butcher, short cut prime right now is $12.49 lb, primal which is just cut from the animal no tying or trimming is $5.80, I normally get a type of primal some call OP {oven prepped}, its about $6 and change depending on the time of year. It allows me to trim and tie it how I like, but I don't get all the extra bones, cartilage, and fat {blade and chine bones are useless why pay $6 a lb for them}...
The most popular cut I see is hotel, or buffet, or RR {roast ready} which is cut tied, bone in, trimmed and ready for you to basic prep and cook, that is a bit less money than short cut... Personally if I were buying a piece of meat already done, I would do restaurant style which is boneless and about the same price in most cases...

A lot of people call these cuts a lot of different things, my butcher uses numbers like 107, 109, 112, etc but he has a big chart with picture to explain them on his wall, I will take a picture of it next time I go there...

Yes, thank you we did. By we I mean my wife was in charge of taking roast out of the oven. Big mistake. It came out when it was already 140-145 degrees. Way over cooked for my taste. But everybody loved it. I've been eating leftovers cold for two days now. And it actually quite amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Yes, thank you we did. By we I mean my wife was in charge of taking roast out of the oven. Big mistake. It came out when it was already 140-145 degrees. Way over cooked for my taste. But everybody loved it. I've been eating leftovers cold for two days now. And it actually quite amazing.

Wow, yah 145 is overdone, but as long as it tasted good, thats all that matters.

Well I did not like it when it was hot. I like it rear on the row side. But cold it tastes really good. Like a very good quality cold cuts. Which I love.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom