Family chuck roast recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
This is the only recipe I have from my father's side of the family, its his mothers pot roast recipe. The basic recipe is very simple and I am sure lots of other people use very similar ones.

Basic recipe:
Chuck roast, I don't trim the fat, really helps the flavor
one can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup mix
Water, enough to come up about half way up the roast

Cover very tightly with foil and cook at 200 for about 8 hours until the roast is fork tender.

This is the recipe I had growing up and always loved it. This is my take on the recipe:

Chuck roast fat not trimmed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet Lipton Onion soup mix
1 32oz box beef broth low sodium (may not need it all)
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp Lowry's seasoned salt
2lbs of Gold potatoes cut into 1inch sliced skin on
1lb baby carrots
1 medium-large Vidalia onion cut into quarters
1lb whole small button mushrooms
Optional -1 small quality jar beef brown gravy, or you can use homemade if you have it.

Place the roast in the middle of a roasting pan, arrange veggies around the edge. Add in the soup, onion soup mix and spices and add in enough of the beef broth to just about cover the veggies. Place in a 200 degree oven for about 8 hours or until the roast is fork tender. I personally like the veggies to be in the entire time, the potatoes will turn almost the color of the broth and take on loads of flavor. If you prefer your veggies less done you could of course add them later in the cooking process. In a saucepan add the jar of beef gravy and 2-3 cups of the liquid from the pan, depending on how thick it is. You want to keep a gravy consistency but add the flavor from the roast into the gravy. This is completely optional, the natural gravy in the pan from cooking the roast is very good on its own. I like the added gravy for a bit of extra flavor and more gravy for dipping bread in.

This is one of those meals that just makes me drool thinking about it!:)

When you put the roasting pan in the oven, do you cover the roast?

Yes, if you are using a true roasting pan use the lid, if you don't have a lid cover tightly with foil. Also if you are not sure how well your pan will hold in moisture, its best to check it at the half way point and then an hour or two later and make sure there is enough moisture to finish cooking. I have had some get dry, although the veggies taste wonderful that way if it happens with too much time left obviously the meat will dry out.

Back
Top Bottom