"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Filet. Only have it a couple times a year - don't eat much red meat. I love it with a gorgonzola roasted garlic butter I make.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

i've really thought about this, and i can't decide. it all depends on the cut and method of prep.

i love a good tenderloin, plain or with a nice red wine sauce.

a bone-in prime rib, with lots of freshly grated horseradish, not the sauce.

then there's mom's rump or top/bottom round pot roast, and an old friend's garlic and teryaki marinated skirt steak.

a local steak place does grilled porterhouses like no one else. the chef says he just uses s&p, but i know there's something else in the stuff he sprinkles on the meat as it grills. someday, i'll get my hands on some to analyze it.

a local mexican place has ny strips, covered in salsa and queso, that i'd kill for.

finally, my dry rubbed angus london broil, cooked over the coals of a campfire, is always a hit.

so, i'll take the whole cow, please.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
depends on the moo'd! I like rib eye or prime rib, medium rare. Got to be charcoal-grilled. kosher salt and cracked pepper are seasoning enough for me. My fav is mediterranean steak salad, with feta, kalamata olives, pepperoncini peppers and lemon vinaigrette, pita and extra garlic hummus on the side. But when I want a big steak and nothing else, stay outta my way.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

My two favorites are ribeye and skirt.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
...I never use sauces for a good cut of meat - but for a T-Bone or something less ... nothing wrong with some Heinz 57, A-1, or my fave from England, HP.

For a fliet mignon - recipe would have to be for "Steak Diane" as favorite.
Michael, speaking of T-Bone... you reminded me of a restaurant I thought was "It", growing up as a kid in New York City called Tad's Steakhouse. For a few $, you got a huge steak, baked tater, garlic bread AND a bowl of salad. It was not a gourmet cut, and the wallpaper was red flocked velvet(?) , but a pretty good meal, for almost nothing. Looks like it's still around today. Here's some info & pics in San Fran:

Tads History

Sizz, when you go to NYC (after the theatre?) and don't want to spend big $ or expect a gourmet meal, I think there are two Tad's around.

They prices were a little higher when I was there.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #26
Cook

I am a T-Bone kind of guy.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Rib eye or shell steak (NY Strip?) sprinkled with Adobo and pan fried in butter. Deeeelicious! Of course that was the old, unsophisticated Carl so I guess I'll be experimenting soon as I've found what appears to be a good butcher.
I remember Tad's Steaks as well and its clone The Flaming Embers around east 86th St. Wow, those were the days!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

mmmm, reading this is making my mouth water. I'm a huge steak fan, but being a poor university student I generally only buy myself the really cheap inside round steaks and such, and haven't had the chance to cook any really good cuts.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Is it too late to say, I love steak!
Gotta be a ribeye or Delmonico, as they're sometimes called in the summer around here. If it doesn't have fat for flavoring, it's not my kind of steak.
I've only ever grilled steaks, but I see a lot here pan fry in cast iron.... naw, I think I'll stick with the grill Nothing but Kosher salt and ground pepper as it's cooking. Pink inside and grill marks outside. Garlic bread to sop up the juices with, mmmm.

Dandelion, after I do some searching today I may get a hold of you. I bought a side of beef a couple months ago and have a bunch of packages in my freezer called round steak. I'm clueless
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #30
Executive Chef

How about a 3 1/2-minute steak?!? What will people think of next?!

Merv's Pitchfork Fondue

Alix, if Merv comes to your neighborhood, let us know what you think.

Tags
None