"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
View Poll Results: What's your favorite way to cook a steak?
BBQ baby! 13 36.11%
pan fried 6 16.67%
broiled under the broiler 3 8.33%
other, discuss... 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcrosson
In my family we have always "pan broiled" rib eye and strip steaks. It's the same method without the oil.
Heat a dry cast iron skillet over medium high flame for 3 - 4 minutes, throw in a little kosher salt, then your room temperature dry steaks. 1 inch thick takes about 4 minutes a side for a nice brown crust with deep pink interior.
Caution!
This method does create a lot of smoke, so turn on the fan and open the windows. You'll have the neighbors at your door
'cause it will smell just like your favorite steak house.

That sounds like the way I like my steaks...Philidelphia style...charred on the outside and red on the inside. My favorite steak is a good top sirloin.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I voted "other" - bbqing and grilling aren't the same for me either. I like mine grilled.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #23
Head Chef

My DIL (who is from Kansas) believes BBQ means with sauce and grilling is what we REALLY do to good steak. So the first time she visited and DH cooked steaks on our BBQ she asked for the BBQ sauce as he served them! Thought he was gonna drop the plates then and there!!!

Far as I'm concerned just kick ' in the "rump" and walk them over the coals!

Old 09-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
2-3" Porterhouse from Neiman Ranch simply marinated in extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon; fresh rosemary, thyme, and oregano, then grilled to medium-rare.
I'll have to try that marinade. Wouldn't have occurred to me to use lemon. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #25
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Favorite Steak

Wash the steak and pat dry. Generously coat with balsamic vinegar and your favorite seasoning and grill. The Balsamic vinegar gives a tangy sweet taste. Yum! I also like to serve it with lemon. The recipe with the Italian marinade is also very good.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #26
Cook

Jeesh. BBQ definitions. Quite the hot button. I'n my fog of a Friday workday, I slipped. By BBQ, I meant, grilled over a flame or coals.

My favorite pan seared steak is a rib eye or a filet.

Drew

PS: BBQ is tofu hot dogs on a charcoal BBQ!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #27
Master Chef

BBQ to me means coating the meat with BBQ sauce so I put mine under other because my favorite way is a fresh cut of meat (ribeye or new york strip) just with S & P and thrown onto a charcoal grill.....ummmmmmmm!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #28
Executive Chef

on the grill

hot & fast=grilled
low & slow=BBQ
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Hmm...I haven't seen the method I use on here yet so I'll toss it out there.

I beer bake steaks, then grill them over mid-high heat to crisp them.

Take your oven, put it around 235-255 degrees, take a large baking pan and pour a good can or bottle of beer into the pan. Add a small wire/metal rack into the pan and place your steak on it. Then cover with aluminum foil and cook for about 40-60 minutes. Turn it over at around 40 minutes if you want, otherwise just leave it. The beer baking gives a nice slow cooking to the meat, and opens the texture of the meat for marinades or just for tenderness. If it's a steak with bone, the meat actually starts coming away from the bone very easily. The beer also adds a good flavoring without being overpowering. The big upshot of this is that the flavor can really be brought out and marinades can really infuse the meat totally.

So, once you've baked it, go ahead and marinade it if you like or season it with salt and pepper (after drying it). Then toss it on the grill for only a few minutes per side to crisp the outsid. You don't need to cook it very long though.

For my Plum Ribs, I do the same thing with a rack of baby back ribs, marinating them after baking (but I toss them back in the oven for a bit after marinating).

fcrosson, I'm going to try that "pan broiled" method too. Maybe a cross of these two methods would work? Bake then pan cooking?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Beer bake

Copper, I have used essentialy the same method you're describing to cook things like chicken quarters, or chuck steaks.

Tags
None