Favorite way to cook a steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's your favorite way to cook a steak?

• BBQ baby!

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • pan fried

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • broiled under the broiler

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • other, discuss...

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SilvrBck

Cook
I think that here in America when most people think about steaks they think about flame grilled steaks on a BBQ. Recently, I tried a new method that is a more traditional French approach. That is to preseason the steaks and then pan fry them over a fairly high heat in a cast iron skillet and, when they are done, use the pan drippings to make a sauce. The first time I tried this, people gave me a very hard time as if I was performing some sort of sacrilege by cooking a steak on a stovetop as opposed to the BBQ. But once they tasted it, they almost all voted that the steak was better than BBQd. I think the key is that you can get a cast iron skillet SUPER hot and keep it that way to get great carmalization on the outside of the meat while the inside is a beautiful pinkish medium rare. IMHO, the tenderness of even the best cuts begin to suffer exponentially with every degree of doneness above medium rare. BBQs are often uneven in heat and not hot enough to cook a good steak. Plus, the pan sauce goes great on garlic mashed potatoes. My favorite accompanyment to a juicy steak! :chef:

Enough of my soapbox. What's your favorite way to cook up a steak?

Drew

Last edited:
BBQ'd for me by someone else. I've been known to pan fry them though.

In your opinion what cut of steak is best for both of the above? I know nothing about steak at all. :)

Grilling a steak doesn't have to mean uneven heating. Try smoking it or cooking with indirect heat. Dont' put it right on the fire the entire time that you are cooking.
I'm sure AllenMI or Michael will be along anytime to put in his thoughts, use the grill quite a bit it seems. I love grilled steaks, there no better way to cook T-bone or Sirloin.

Last edited:
pdswife said:
BBQ'd for me by someone else. I've been known to pan fry them though.

In your opinion what cut of steak is best for both of the above? I know nothing about steak at all. :)

IMHO the best steaks are NY strip or rib steaks. So tender you can cut them with your fork.

I like to grill sirloin strips and rib eyes. (Iassume that's what you meant by BBQ Baby)

I like to pan roast filet mignon.

Alix:

Sure!

As a great man once said, "My door is always open!". No, wait, that was GB who said that. :ohmy:

You were right. A great man DID say it...TWO of them! Thanks Andy, expect me in oh....a month or so.

My favorite steaks

In my family we have always "pan broiled" rib eye and strip steaks. It's the same method without the oil.
Heat a dry cast iron skillet over medium high flame for 3 - 4 minutes, throw in a little kosher salt, then your room temperature dry steaks. 1 inch thick takes about 4 minutes a side for a nice brown crust with deep pink interior.
Caution!
This method does create a lot of smoke, so turn on the fan and open the windows. You'll have the neighbors at your door
'cause it will smell just like your favorite steak house.

:chef:

Y'all will have to excuse me, as to me, the terms "BBQ" and "Steak" just don't go together. To me, "BBQ" means smoking, low heat, long times, etc. Steaks are meant for quick cooking at high heat, either directly over hot coals (grilling), or in a really hot pan.

Personally, I like to grill steaks over a really hot fire, until they are medium. However, I really love to blacken steaks in a cast iron skillet over high heat, with clarified butter and lots of seasoning mix. I've also done steak au poivre (sp?) a few times, years ago, and I need to do it again to show my other half, PeppA, how steak can be done.

BBQ to me means on a cast iron grill over flames or heat beads. I love BBQ steak, quickly done so that its still rare inside. I love scotch fillet and eye fillet, especially if they have been marinated first.

I think Australians call BBQ something different to in the US. If we throw something on the BBQ grill then cook it its called BBQed here.

I like it grilled (MR) with a piece of foie gras on top and a little truffle demi.

I'll eat any way it's cooked...especially smothered with onions. I wouldn't mind this cut either. Anyone know what cut it is? (Prime rib I think.) Had to share this because it's such a great pic from Lawry's.

lawrysmainimage8gd.png

mrsmac said:
I think Australians call BBQ something different to in the US. If we throw something on the BBQ grill then cook it its called BBQed here.

Same here mrsmac. But folks in the US use BBQ as a noun. What we call BBQing they call grilling. There have been many passionate battles over the term. Fortunately, here there is room enough for all uses of the word

mish, I am pretty sure that is prime rib. Oh my it looks tasty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom