"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
OK, 1.5 inches thick, more or less. (My wife's favorite joke is running through my head, but it's inappropriate for this crowd!)

Next question: do you want to grill it (i.e., over a real fire -- like a BBQ or whatever you call such contraptions on that side of the pond), or cook it in a pan on the stove, or cook it in the oven?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
Head Chef

What's your recommendation FryBoy?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I like my meat charred on the outside and rare -- but not bloody -- in the middle. That's the maximum flavor profile, IMO. I also like good meat done simply -- save the marinades and sauces for lesser cuts. Well, maybe a little Bordelaise or a port reduction on the side, especially with filet mignon, which is not the most flavorful cut of beef -- it's prized mostly for it's melt-in-your-mouth texture.

Assuming we're talking about individual 1.5-inch thick filet mignon steaks, I'd rub them with olive oil, a bit of salt, and a lot of coarsely ground black pepper, then grill them over a very hot fire about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Trim the fat to avoid excessive flare ups. Time varies depending on your grill, of course. You have to be careful with filet mignon not to overcook it or it will be dry and tasteless.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Everymom

Oh my word. I am drooling reading this. FryBoy is right on target with this recommendation. Tell us how they come out lulu.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
Sous Chef

BTW, what do you Brits call a grill? You know, the thing some of us Yanks call a BBQ, a metal or brick contraption in which you cook food on a metal grate set over a heat source.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Cook

do you have time to marinate it? maybe you can let it sit in a burgundy wine-oyster sauce mix for a few hours, then use a grill pan and fry it over high heat. then pat some burgundy-flavoured herb butter on top and let it ooze in a low heat oven till melted...of course, serve it with the rest of your burgundy wine.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #17
Executive Chef

In the UK 'grill' is what I think Americans call a 'broiler'. It's often part of a cooker or can be a separate device.

The outside thingy, whether charcoal or gas is called a barbecue.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #18
Sous Chef

When I say "grill," I mean the outside thingy, not the broiler in the oven.

Here in California, we also also call the outside thingy a barbecue. However, I understand that in some parts of the U.S., "barbecue" refers only to food that slow-cooked on the grill, not to the grill itself. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've been told.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Well, any time you see instructions on a recipe that I post which says 'grill for ..... minutes'... it means put it under the broiler.

I understand there is some controversy re barbecue terminology in the US - but as we copy the Australians, we call it a barbecue or a barby!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 AM   #20
Head Chef

Because we have no outside cooking facilities (see- I avoided grill and BBQ!) I did the hot frying pan method. And it was great..... I am quite smug actually! Very rare inside and deliciously soft.

Thanks everbody for helping me with my panic!

Tags
None