Filet Mignon - are there different types?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc9394

Assistant Cook
What is the difference between butt filet and peel filet? I saw two different type at my local Costco.

i believe the peel filet mignon is the steak cut from the smaller end of the tenderloin, near the 13th rib, while the butt is from the larger end.

You're asking two different things. The diagram shows the different parts of the tenderloin from which the filet mignon comes.

ordering.gif

The butt is the large end of the tenderloin.

A tenderloin can be peeled or unpeeled. Peeling involves the removal of external muscle and extraneous matter.

Costco around here sells the whole tenderloin (as pictured above) or a package with two butt ends. They also sell steaks cut from the tenderloin. I see them labeled as tenderloin steaks rather than filet mignon.

Taste is pretty much the same along the whole tenderloin.

Last edited:
the one i get to eat tastes much better to me! :)

thanks for the info andy. so a peeled filet is just one that's been trimmed. i had assumed it was the opposite of the butt end.

according to the hormel website food glossary, the french prefer the thinner end, americans prefer the thicker end.

i've bought whole tenderloins, and i prefer the butt end as it's easier to cut a nice thick steak. the thinner ends have had more silver skin as well.

Last edited:
If we're having a houseful of family for Christmas dinner, I buy a cryovac package with two butt ends in it for dinner and roast them. Always a hit with gravy and Bearnaise sauce.

I'm pretty sure that I saw a peel tenderlion in the Avon, MA Costco. If that is trimmed, it's suppose to more expensive than the non trimmed one?

Thanks for the question - Costo has great Filet Mignon's, Top Sirloins and large Porterhouse Steaks. I think I will buy some.

I am really not sure if there are different cuts of beef.

I think most tenderloins are now sold peeled--without the fat cap. At least it has been a good number of years since I have seen them untrimmed. And Sam's used to sell 2 butt portions in one cryovac package which was fine, unless you were were expecting a whole one piece tenderlon. I prefer the whole tenderloin and cook them fairly often. When bought at Costco prices it is a reasonably economic splurgy meal that goes a pretty long way. It is always on the christmas dinner table.
Costco and Sam's have consistently good meats. Their pork is very good and we recently had a rack of lamb that was TDF.

Me too, only complaint I have is the size of the package they have. Most of the time I have to freeze any unuse portion.

jc9394 said:
Me too, only complaint I have is the size of the package they have. Most of the time I have to freeze any unuse portion.

I generally wait until I have the occasion to use the whole tenderloin because we don't really care as much for tenderloin fixed as a steak--prefer other cuts. So, it's tough because to get the price "break" you have to buy the whole piece, or pay the higher prices for a smaller roast or the individual steaks. A vacuum sealer is a nice appliance to preserve the good meats--and much much more, of course.

As a warehouse store, Costco and the others deal in larger quantity packages. They began life servicing small businesses, not individual consumers.

I have no problem portioning a whole tenderloin, double wrapping and freezing it for later use. The savings are well worth it.

first off, hi guys! long time no see!

going to ressurect a slightly older thread here... i thought of my buds at DC just yesterday when perusing offerings at our local korean market (**awesome** produce, and everything's cheaper than regular store). there's always an abundance of things i don't recognize when shopping around there, and this was one of them. they had packages labelled "filet mignon - tenderloin" that contained an entire tenderloin in a vacuum pack. no big fatty cap like someone else on this thread described, so i'm assuming peeled, but all had an obvious strip of "silverskin" along the top. they were crazy cheap, only a couple bucks a pound, but it's money wasted if i don't know what i'm getting into. so the questions:
1. pretend i'm a little slow here, how tasty a cut is this?
2. how do i pick a good one?
3. what's the best/right way to slice it once it's at my house?

thanks guys!!

Andy M. said:
As a warehouse store, Costco and the others deal in larger quantity packages. They began life servicing small businesses, not individual consumers.

I have no problem portioning a whole tenderloin, double wrapping and freezing it for later use. The savings are well worth it.

I would agree that cutting up a tenderloin is probably the easiest cut of any there is. I have a FoodSaver which is great for really sealing meats for freezing.
We just prefer other steaks (for more flavor) to filets so it doesn't work that way for us--we use it as a roast for large holiday dinners or parties. And the savings are a number of dollars/lb. as Andy says. As a roast to serve as many as 12, for example, for christmas, it is a pretty economical "splurge" meal with a lot of WOW.
But even our supermarkets sell whole tenderloins now, as well as steaks (at a higher price).

fireweaver said:
...1. pretend I'm a little slow here, how tasty a cut is this?
2. how do i pick a good one?
3. what's the best/right way to slice it once it's at my house?

thanks guys!!

Good to see you again.

Fillet mignon/Tenderloin is considered the most elegant cut of beef for roasts and steaks. Château Briand is cut from the tenderloin. Other cuts have a more pronounced beef flavor but there is none as tender.

If you're getting a cryovac package of tenderloin, it's kind of difficult to do an in depth inspection. Pick any one. They all come with silver skin. It should be removed before portioning and cooking.

I choose to cut steaks from the thinner end, about 2" thick. I use the butt end for a roast. I also tie each steak with string to give it a nice round, uniform shape which promotes even cooking. I also tie the roast at 2" intervals.

I think the only difference between a tenderloin from a cow vs. a steer would be size.

If a cryovac tenderloin has a "fat cap", that is easily removed by just running your fingers under the membrane, pulling it away from the main muscle mass, then cutting the membrane where it joines the meat. The silverskin is a separate membrane that has to be cut away with a very sharp knife. There is also a "chain" of muscle, fat, and connective tissue on one side of the tenderloin. At work, I cut this off, but save it for later use (we usually remove as much connective tissue as we can, and grind it to make some really good hamburgers).

Back
Top Bottom