Filet Mignon for 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstarr

Cook
I found the following recipe and wanted to get the thoughts of this board.

• 2 (4 ounce) filet mignon steaks
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
DIRECTIONS

Sprinkle freshly ground pepper over both sides of each steak, and sprinkle with salt to taste.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place steaks in hot pan, and cook for 1 minute on each side, or until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add balsamic vinegar and red wine. Cover, and cook for 4 minutes on each side, basting with sauce when you turn the meat over.

Remove steaks to two warmed plates, spoon one tablespoon of glaze over each, and serve immediately.

A few thoughts:
Do you think that a non-stick pan would be the best way to cook the meat?
What kind of red-wine would you use for the sauce?

Sounds like it would be good, simple is better. However I was watching an episode of Alton Brown on tenderloin and he suggested that balsamic vinegar may be too brash for the delicate meat of the tenderloin. But hey... that is what he said, I would try this recipe!

jstarr, 4 ounces is a bit small for my tastes, and if a hunk o' tenderloin is cooked for that long, i'd think it would come out fairly well done. yuk.

it's a delicious cut of meat that should be enjoyed rare to medium rare, imo.

you could follow those instructions, but with more like 2 eight or 10 ounce pieces.

i would cook the (8 ounce, salt and peppered) meat over high heat for 4 minutes a side, then remove it from the pan.

then add the wine, bring it to a boil, add the balsamic, reduce the heat and let it reduce by at least a third. put the meat back in, spoon with the sauce for a minute.

serve immediately. :chef:

Balsamic vinegar has a powerful flavor. I'm not sure that I'd cook a steak in it. Have you had Balsamic vinegar before?

So do you think a pan sear in a SS saute pan would be the best way to go? I'm not completely sold on this recipe so I'm willing to hear other suggestions.

If you want a killer sauce, swap the balsamic for beef stock, add a teaspoon of prepared demi and a teaspoon of dijon mustard. Whisk and reduce. Pool the sauce on the plate and place the medallion on top, a fresh sprinkle of kosher salt, maybe a tiny bit of horseradish.

Almost forgot:

When simmering the sauce, add some fresh thyme sprigs. I put the whole sprig in there then just remove it when the sauce is done.

Once you turn the heat off for the sauce, add one pat of COLD butter and melt into your sauce.

......I'm giving away most of my secrets here. :glare:

:mrgreen:

I'd do it much the way Jeekinz suggested.

Balsamic and red wine will make for a puckerish result. But if you use beef stock or demiglace and the wine you'll get something nice and savory, but with a touch of sweetness and piquant.

I found the following recipe and wanted to get the thoughts of this board.

• 2 (4 ounce) filet mignon steaks
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
DIRECTIONS

Sprinkle freshly ground pepper over both sides of each steak, and sprinkle with salt to taste.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place steaks in hot pan, and cook for 1 minute on each side, or until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add balsamic vinegar and red wine. Cover, and cook for 4 minutes on each side, basting with sauce when you turn the meat over.

Remove steaks to two warmed plates, spoon one tablespoon of glaze over each, and serve immediately.

A few thoughts:
Do you think that a non-stick pan would be the best way to cook the meat?
What kind of red-wine would you use for the sauce?

Jstarr if you like the recipe then go for it.:chef: For me personally, I do not care much for sauces, marinades, etc. on meat. I just love the taste of great beef, or pork or whatever with a little salt, pepper, garlic.

I do not think a non-stick pan would be your best choice of pans...Cast iron would be my weapon of choice...

Kind of wine? A dry red -- Maybe a Burgandy -- One that you like to drink for sure...

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Would a pinot noir work in the sauce, or am I better off with a Cabernet Sauvignon?

I, too, would go with cast iron in this case, and would also hesitate on the balsamic vinegar... but that is up to your taste there and what you like.
Myself I am like UB, don't usually like sauces or glazes or such on my steaks.

Balsamic and red wine will make for a puckerish result.

considering the recipe, i think that's supposed to be the result. i happen to like a tart sauce on a steak, as a change of pace.

jstarr, i would use pinot noir, and also finish the sauce with a little butter.

I'm going with Jeekinz recipe. I picked up a cast iron skillet. Can't wait to use it!

Now onto the sides. I'm thinking of matching it with asparagus and roasted red potatoes.

Do you think steamed asparagus would pair better than sauteed?

His suggestion on the beef stock, demi, and what was the other ingredient? I am not sure, not much experience with asparagus, but probably sauteed?

His suggestion on the beef stock, demi, and what was the other ingredient? ?

Red wine...of course. :chef: lol

Sometimes I'll make the sauce ahead of time. I simmer beef stock with mire poix, bay leaf, pepper corn, thyme, dijon, red wine, demi. When that has reduced, I strain and add that to the pan the meat was in. Finish with butter.

That's it! No more of my secrets! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom