"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Head Chef

Finally found a good cut and then....

ok, DH has been buying a big thing of top sirloin at BJ's. We just cut it ourselves into steaks or steak tips. At least he says that's what he thinks he gets.

What we like about it, is it's not too expensive AND you can just throw salt and pepper on it, throw it on a grill or in the broiler and it always comes out good. It's sometimes a tad fatty (only some of the pieces) and well just doesn't take much effort on our side. Even if you overcook it a little, it's still juicy and good.

So with that said: I'm looking to try at least once some naturally free range, hormone and antibiotic free meat from a farm near by. They don't have top sirloin to choose from. The list is: top round steak, top round roast, eye round, ny sirloin, porterhouse, tbone, flank, short ribs, whole top round.

Is there any that fits the description we are experiencing?

Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
...ny sirloin, porterhouse, tbone,

flank, short ribs...
The first three are very good steaks. None are top sirloin.

Flank steak is a broad thin cut that has to be handled carefully to get a good result. Short ribs are a good cut for braising.

For a good visual comparison, look at the different cuts in the meat department.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks. I'll look around.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Mr. Greenjeans

Anything just past the nose and before the tail tuft is good for me!!

Opps, forgot the tongue. Ok, from before the nose...
Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

Well I picked up a few pieces, but there waiting for another shipment so they were low. I got a few small pieces of strip steak and a few small pieces of top round.

Are they not good steaks? Any suggestions on cooking these types of steaks?
there 100% grassfed cows!! fresh from a farm. well other than them shipping it to be slaugthered and cut.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
100% grass fed beef is going to be quite a different texture experience for you if you are accustomed to corn-fed beef. Personally we prefer the grass-fed,. but for some folks it does take getting used to.

Actually, there is no such cut of beef as "top sirloin" That is a made-up name by some distributors to sell lesser quality cuts and get you to think it's tops.....

It's important not to overcook grass-fed beef, or it will become tough and chewy. I don't know how you prefer your beef, but medium is really the most "done" this beef should ever be.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Try this site * They have sent me some really good recipes for my site and now I use their site quite a bit. It has all kinds of cooking tips and some healthy recipe ideas.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Actually, there is no such cut of beef as "top sirloin" That is a made-up name by some distributors to sell lesser quality cuts and get you to think it's tops.....
The NAMP (North American Meat Processors Association) and the IMPS (Institutional Meat Purchasing Specifications) state other wise...It is, in simplest of terms the top portion of the primal Sirloin which lies between the short loin and round. The Lower or bottom sirloin section/portion lies between the flank and rear shank where the muscles form a triangle of sorts...The trendy Tri-Tip cut comes from this section...Top Sirloin is not a creative name, but rather a recognized cut of beef in the industry. Cut to a thickness of at least 11/2 inches and not cooked passed medium rare it is an excellent, flavorful steak...Not as tender as those cut from the short loin, but very palatable and full of flavor. HTH

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The NAMP (North American Meat Processors Association) and the IMPS (Institutional Meat Purchasing Specifications) state other wise...It is, in simplest of terms the top portion of the primal Sirloin which lies between the short loin and round. The Lower or bottom sirloin section/portion lies between the flank and rear shank where the muscles form a triangle of sorts...The trendy Tri-Tip cut comes from this section...Top Sirloin is not a creative name, but rather a recognized cut of beef in the industry. Cut to a thickness of at least 11/2 inches and not cooked passed medium rare it is an excellent, flavorful steak...Not as tender as those cut from the short loin, but very palatable and full of flavor. HTH

Enjoy!
I dunno, Uncle Bob. I looked on my chart from the National Cattlemens Beef Assn that has every cut delineated on the outline of a steer, and there is no "Top Sirloin" on it. I also come from a family of farmers who raised beef for market, and they never heard of that, either.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Item No. 181 - Beef Loin, Sirloin - This item is the posterior section of the full loin. The short loin shall be removed by a straight cut anterior to the hip cartilage and approximately parallel with the round end exposing the M. gluteus medius. The round shall be removed by a straight cut anterior to the ball and/or protuberance of the femur. The flank shall be removed by a straight cut ventral to, but not more than 10.0 inches (25.4 cm) from, the M. longissimus dorsi on the short loin end to a point on the round end ventral to, but not more than 1.0 inch (25 mm) from, the M. tensor fasciae latae. The fat covering the lumbar, sacral, and tenderloin regions shall be trimmed NTE 1.0 inch (25 mm) in depth at any point. ~~~ This describes how the primal cut Sirloin shall be produced.

Item No. 181A - Beef Loin, Top Sirloin - This item is described in Item No. 181 except that the bottom sirloin is removed. The bottom sirloin shall be removed by straight cut along the natural seam (between the M. gluteus medius and sirloin tip) and continues to the outside surface leaving a portion of the M. tensor fasciae latae attached to the top sirloin. The protruding points of the hip bone socket and the first sacral vertebrae shall be removed to facilitate handling and packaging. ~~~ This describes how the bottom sirloin is removed leaving the Top Sirloin to be cut/trimmed into steaks/roasts. ~~~ The Sirloin is simply cut into....A Top and Bottom piece..It is a recognized cut of beef by the NAMP/IMPS.... Top Sirloin is very common in your grocer's meat case....Often advertised and is a good value! Meat so labeled does not violate the FDA Truth in Labeling Laws! It is what it is...Top Sirloin

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None