Flank Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouyangl

Assistant Cook
Where can I find this???

I didnt find it at my local market basket, it seemed like the only thing at market basket is sirloin steak

ouyangl, does your market basket have a butcher? If so, I'm sure if you ask they would provide you with a flank. If not, most butcher stores will have. Can I ask what it is you’re looking to create with it?

Keith

i'm trying to create szechuan beef

i ended up using top round (i think??) steak or w/e

i'm a new cook and it didnt turn out like szechuan beef at all. Not spicy at all

maybe cause i got the recipe off of food network

Most supermarkets should carry it, but they might be out of stock when you check. Ask the person behind the counter. You can also check at price clubs like Sams or BJ's if you have any of those near you.

Hong Kong Flank Steak

I picked up a flank steak at the market a couple of hours ago to make Hong Kong Flank Steak. I haven't tried this recipe before, but I have made other Asian-style flank steaks, and this one looks pretty good to me.

Hong Kong Flank Steak

For the marinade:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil or other cooking oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Asian chili oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 flank steak (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

1. Remove any fat from the flank steak. Using a very sharp knife, make several very shallow parallel slashes diagonally across the surface of the meat, about 1 to 2 inches apart (i.e., just pull the blade of the knife across the meat without any downward pressure); turn the meat around and repeat so that you create a series of diamond-shaped slashes in the surface of the meat. Turn the meat over and do the same thing to the other side of the steak.

2. Combine the marinade ingredients in bowl and transfer to a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag. Add the flank steak, squeeze out all the air, and seal the bad, turning it over several times to coat the meat with the marinade. Marinate for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, turning once or twice. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.

3. Cook over high heat on a well-oiled grill, 3 inches from the heat source, for 4 minutes per side for medium-rare meat. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

4. Slice the steak thinly on the diagonal (i.e., don't cut straight down through the meat, but instead hold the blade almost parallel to the surface of the steak and cut on an angle so that you get slices that are much wider than the meat is thick, and be sure to cut across the grain). Arrange slices on a platter. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve.

Sometimes it's called skirt steak or hangar steak... Try asking for it by one of those names. It might help.

Vera, up here skirt and flank are different. They can be used in the same sort of preparations though. I prefer skirt over flank.

ouyangl - if your problem was the flavor of your dish not being what you expected - that's the fault of the recipe you used, not the cut of beef you used.

Assuming your local Market Basket is the one in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey - they should have someone in their meat department that can help you. Although, being such a high-end Gourmet Specialty Shop - they may not carry these "cheap" cuts of beef (flank, skirt, hanger). If they don't carry them you can probably find them in a "regular" grocery store without any problem.

Vera - yep, flank and skirt are from different areas. Here is Alton Brown's diagram of a steer showing the major primals and derivative cuts. Cook's Theasurus also has a site showing the primals and explains the characteristics of the cuts from that area ... and then you can click on a region and they give you more in-depth info on the cuts obtained from that primal ... like here for the cuts obtained from the breast and flank.

Back
Top Bottom