"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 11-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Sous Chef
dunno jenny...i posted a link to the recipie..so u can tell me!!

i have never had bulgogi, so i dont know what it is! lol

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
mugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
Executive Chef
You never mentioned the degree of doneness that you cooked the steak to. My first thought was that you overcooked it.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Head Chef
I have made Flant Steak medium rare and it always turns out just fine. I don't like Skirt Steak. I just make sure to slice on the diagonal very thin.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
Master Chef
Originally Posted by mugsy27
dunno jenny...i posted a link to the recipie..so u can tell me!!

i have never had bulgogi, so i dont know what it is! lol

Bulgogi is Korean grilled marinated flank or skirt steak. I asked you that in case the original poster needed to google a recipe for it.

The recipe you posted looks very good, but isn't actually Korean -- but that's RR, not you. Sauerkraut isn't kimchi
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
Sous Chef
I love kimchi - have not had it since i was very young - It was my favorite food when I was 2 years old and lived in Hawaii!!!
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye - but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those!"
Reanie525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Yes, I did let it stand and I did cut across the grain.

I used Masterpiece Steakhouse marinade, which smells good and strong.

I'm not a fan of Rachel Ray's either, but I see she cooked her flank steak on an indoor electric grill or stove top grill pan. I do have an electric grill and tried it and it did come out better, but still not like I had in the restaurant. I wouldn't even try it on the stovetop, as in the past have not had luck with steaks that way.

The one I had in the restaurant had a totally different texture and was very, very tender. I ordered it med/well. It came in the whole piece and not sliced, so I was cutting it myself.

I think the ones I made were as you said "Muscley" and "Gamey" (Oops! hope I don't sound like Rachel Ray making up expressions and words). but that's a good analogy, since you said it comes from the muscle section- and I did cut across the grain in very thin slices.

I didn't realize that these were tough cuts of meat, as they are expensive on Long Island, NY. You can get porterhouse or ribeye for the same price or even cheaper when they have a sale. I've rarely seen flank or skirt on sale and they seem to be hard to get, as most times the store doesn't have them.

I have 2 more in the freezer. I'll try this again. If not, I have 2 dogs, who will enjoy them.
peppe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Found out something interesting today. I decided to give up on supermarket beef because I have been so consistently disappointed.

I stopped into one of the last butcher shops around here and the butcher said flank, skirt, and hanger steak used to be considered a waste cut and butchers would take it home. Then, all of a sudden restaurants starting serving it and the price has gone up and up. Also, it's hard to find in supermarkets because the restaurant wholesale trade buys it up quickly.

peppe2 is offline   Reply With Quote