"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Flank Steak Pinwheels

This one came up on my recipe radar screen, as I'm always looking for something new for flank steak/London Broil. Thinking out loud, I might incorporate some pine nuts and/or roasted red peppers with the spinach and cheese filling.

Flank Steak Pinwheels

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness 1 clove garlic, peeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

In a large resealable bag, combine the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper. Squeeze the bag to blend well.

Pierce the flank steak with a knife, making small slits about 1 inch apart. Place the steak into the bag, and seal. Refrigerate overnight to marinate.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Crush the remaining clove of garlic on a cutting board with a large chef's knife. Sprinkle the salt over the garlic, and scrape with the blunt side of the knife to make a paste.

Remove the steak from the bag, and discard marinade. Spread the garlic paste over the top side of the steak. Place layers of chopped onion, bread crumbs, spinach, and cheese over the garlic. Roll the steak up lengthwise, and secure with kitchen twine or toothpicks. Place the roll in a shallow glass baking dish.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the internal temperature of the roll is at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees F) in the center. Let stand for 5 minutes to set, then slice into 1 inch slices to serve.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We really enjoy stuffed flank steak and I'll add this recipe to the files.

TIP: Make sure that when you roll up the flank steak, the muscle fibers are running lengthwise along the roll. That way, when you slice the roast, you'll be cutting across the grain. This will ensure a tender result.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks, Andy. Appreciate the tip. May I suggest serving with garlic smashed potatoes and brussel(s) sprouts? Like the idea of making a garlic paste and spreading on the meat. Usually for a roast, I cut little slits and insert garlic cloves. Since this is a flat cut of meat, the paste is something I will keep in mind for flank steak.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I would try this in a pressure cooker instead of baking... it will keep the meat wonderfully moist and tender...cook with some red wine, green peppercorn and bayleaf, it will also make a nice sauce to drizzle over...with this size it should be ready in about 40-45minutes...
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I would try this in a pressure cooker instead of baking... it will keep the meat wonderfully moist and tender...cook with some red wine, green peppercorn and bayleaf, it will also make a nice sauce to drizzle over...with this size it should be ready in about 40-45minutes...
Can you post the recipe for us in the beef section or pressure cooker section? TIA. If the recipe appeals to you, might want to try it as is, to see if you will like it. An afterthought - I don't own a pressure cooker, but if you want to prepare it differently (cooking method), might consider how toothpicks or twine will react in a pressure cooker.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes I have a similar recipe... I am fixing to go to the gym now, I will post it later or tomorrow for sure!!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Thanks! I've saved this one. Sounds wonderful.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks, pds. Sounds good to me too, as is.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Can you post the recipe for us in the beef section or pressure cooker section? TIA. If the recipe appeals to you, might want to try it as is, to see if you will like it. An afterthought - I don't own a pressure cooker, but if you want to prepare it differently (cooking method), might consider how toothpicks or twine will react in a pressure cooker.
Okay sorry mish it took longer than I thought, I wasn't on the net at all during the weekend... I posted the recipe here

Savoury beef roll with red wine sauce (pressure cooker recipe)

It also has the instruction on cooking in the conventional oven. Also with pressure cooker, tooth picks and twines are not affected at all, you can safely use them!!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Thanks, pds. Sounds good to me too, as is.
The votes are in.

I made this last night. We didn't have any red wine so I used white instead. I also added extra garlic.

I loved it.
David liked it.
Paul didn't care for it.
I think that he might have liked it better had I used
fresh spinach instead of frozen. I did add some pinenuts as you sujested. I'm having the left overs for lunch. Yummy!

Tags
None