Flank Steak shredded beef tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flourgirl

Senior Cook
Instead of making tacos with a traditional ground beef, I make them with shredded beef made from flank steak. I learned this recipe from my mother, who always made them this way and claims that it a very commom taco recipe in her home country of Costa Rica. These are served with sliced tomato and finely shredded cabbage instead of lettuce, a tradition which goes back to my mother's childhood days. Cabbage was commonly used in Latin America when the poor economy meant that many families did not have proper refrigeration and cabbage didn't require the refrigeration that lettuce did.

Makes about 10 soft tacos...I like using flank steak because there is very little waste and very little fat. These are approximate measures, so adjust as you like...

1 whole flank steak, about 1 1/2- 2 lbs.
2 whole onions (1 1/2 coarsely chopped and 1/2 minced)
2 carrots, peeled & coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic (1 whole, 1 minced)
1/4 C. tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, saute 1 1/2 onions, 2 carrots, add a whole garlic clove, the whole flank steak and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to low and simmer until beef is falling apart tender. Takes about 4 hours.

When steak is tender, remove it and allow to cool, reserve the cooking broth. Shred the beef, removing what little fat is left. The beef will be in long strings (I cut them into thirds so they're not too long). In a saute pan, heat some oil, and saute the minced onion until soft, add minced garlic and saute briefly. Then add the shredded beef, the 1/4C. of tomato paste (if you like a stronger tomato flavor, just add more) and about a cup of the beef cooking broth, and the salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 25 minutes to allow flavors to mix and the beef to absorb the sauce. The shredded beef should be moist, but not dripping.

Serve as you would your favorite tacos. My family always used the small round soft tortillas and topped them with some sliced tomato, shredded cabbage and a dollop of mayo.

Oh yeah, that sounds good! I will be trying it soon.

There used to be a restaurant in Fayetteville NC called Pedro's. He had
the most amazing beef burritos, with little chunks of beef in sauce. Since
he closed, I have been searching for a recipe similar to his in taste, so I
LOVE finding new varieties!

Got a tasty refried bean recipe? Same story here. LOL!

Yes, this beef is really tasty. Wish I knew how to make refried beans, DH doesn't like them, something about the texture that he's not fond of, so I never make them, but I always eat his when we go out for Mexican!

Oh yum they sound great~ Thank you!
I bet the flank steak is cheaper than lean hamburger too.

thanks for posting this FG!! im gonna give it a try this weekend!

i do hav3e a question about the soft taco part...do you do anything to heat them up...or just serve at room temp?

I wrap them in foil and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes to warm them. You could also wrap them in paper towel and warm them in the microwave. Whether you use corn or flour tortillas, definitely warm them up a little! Enjoy!

For flour tortillas, I dampen 2-3 sheets of paper towel (all in one piece) and wrap a couple of tortillas in them and microwave for 20-30 seconds or just until they are nice and hot.

Does anyone heat the flour tortillas in a pan? I do mine that way, was wondering for those that have done it in the micro, oven and the pan which they prefer? Not that it is much of an option for me until I get a new micro, LOL.

I just heat them in a dry skillet one at a time for a min or less on each side or if I have used the outside grill I can heat several at a time. You should always heat the tortillas to warm the fat in them or they may break.

This sounds great. I actually have all the ingredients at home so I might have to try this over the weekend. Thank you!

We like tacos from flank steak too. We had them last night actually. We usually marinade in lime juice and red chile powder and grill the meat. Then we dice it up. We serve it with corn tortillas, guacamole, beans and all the other fixings.

This looks good too flourgirl. I'll have to try this out next time we have tacos.

Back
Top Bottom