"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Head Chef

Flanken Ribs

When we were in Safeway last week, I was thinking about buying some beef short ribs to braise. However, the prices on them have gotten completely out of control - I can't see paying steak prices for a lot of bone and fat. Ridiculous.

In the next compartment were something I've never heard of before - beef chuck flanken ribs. They are strips cut across the rib bones, about 1" wide and 3/4" to 1" thick and 4 bones long (about 7-8 inches raw). I decided what the heck, so I bought them for about half what the short ribs cost.

Last night I braised them traditionally in red wine and beef stock with mirepoix and herbs. They were every bit as good as any short ribs I've ever made, and not nearly as much waste. I cut each strip in half so they were only 2 bones long, seared, then braised for 1 hours. They were perfectly tender without falling apart.

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with this particular cut?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Flanken ribs are just cut thinner and are typically what you would use for Korean short rib recipes. They don't usually need to be cooked as long, either.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Flanken ribs are used for Korean grilled short ribs. They're marinated overnight with Asian pear or pineapple juice in the marinade. Those fruits contain enzymes that help tenderize the ribs.

http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2013/08...hort-ribs.html
Old 07-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Flanken ribs are just cut thinner and are typically what you would use for Korean short rib recipes. They don't usually need to be cooked as long, either.
They're cut across rather than between the bones. We made them for DH's teacher retreat several years ago and I had to ask the butcher to cut them. They weren't available then, but I've seen them in Kroger recently.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Master Chef

Yeah, I regularly see them at Ralph's (Krogers).
But at a Korean butcher nearby they'll slice them to order, thickness and all...
Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Like I said, I had them cut by a butcher several years ago; that was at Harris Teeter. I'm sure the butchers at Kroger would cut them to my specs if I asked.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They're cut across rather than between the bones.
I wonder if that's a regional thing. All the short ribs I've seen sold here look like the ones in the top photo below. I've never seen them cut between the bones. But, sure enough, I Googled it, and there is a variation like what you describe. It's apparently called an English cut.

The bottom photo below is what I sometimes see packaged as "flanken" or Asian-style ribs. The only difference I've observed is that they are sliced thinner, approximately 1/2", or about half the thickness of the regular cuts.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

We have both styles around here. I've only used the English cut or boneless.

Tags
ribs