Flat iron steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks for the info marm. i have heard of flat iron steaks referred to as a "butcher's cut" of meat, because of it's flavor and lack of demand for the cheaper meat.

edited:eek:ops, i goofed. the steak i was referring to is also known as a hanger steak. the flat iron is from chuck, hanger is from the skirt/diaphragm, but it's the same idea.

here's some info on the beef: http://www.jsonline.com/entree/cooking/sep04/258782.asp

Last edited:
Marm:

The 'blade steak' has been sold around here for decades. That's the flat iron steak with the connective tissue still there. I think you'll enjoy it.

Ooooh - now blade steak I know - I sure wish they'd 'standardize' cuts of beef and pork, lol!

And Bucky, you have to say han-ger with that Joisey accent!:mrgreen:

:mrgreen: for Bucky!

As for the flat iron. Well. I would hope that Whole Foods isn't selling folks up the creek with their 'flat iron' cut - supposed to be tender, right? Well, I could barely cut through it with my just sharpened Wusthoff, let alone a regular steak knife. Flavor - shrug. IMO, definitely would NOT buy this again!

Try a hanger or skirt steak marm from the flank area of the cow.All these cuts need to be cooked medium rare at most and sliced thin on the bias,but they're extremely flavourful.Had a casual party and grilled flank steak for 30 people Saturday night that I dry rubbed for 24 hours,everyone went nuts over it.

I'm very familiar with flank and skirt and hanger steaks; just wanted to try the flat iron 'cause it was 'all the rage' lately. I would prefer any of those to the toughness of the flat iron I had.

So "flat iron" is really blade steak? The only thing those are good for is marinating or stewing IMO.

Alix said:
So "flat iron" is really blade steak? The only thing those are good for is marinating or stewing IMO.

It's blade steak cut differently from the individual crosscut steaks with the gristle running through the middle.

You end up with a piece of meat that's sort of like a flank steak with the grain of the meat running lengthwise. I would treat it like a flank seak.

marmalady said:
I'm very familiar with flank and skirt and hanger steaks; just wanted to try the flat iron 'cause it was 'all the rage' lately. I would prefer any of those to the toughness of the flat iron I had.

Whoops....sorry,I'm new and don't know everybodys expertise yet.I should have known anyone that talks flat iron would know flank.:mellow:

Back
Top Bottom