Frozen Concentrated Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbqbrisket

Assistant Cook
From a Food supplier, I purchased a large block of frozen concentrated gravy. It was a about 3 lbs frozen.
To use, all that was required was adding 6 to 8 cups water.

How is a condensed concentrated gravy made so that I can just add water.
It would seem that the flour has to be pre-cooked but I don't know how to do this.

Any ideas?
Thanks

They just make a gravy that doesn't have enough liquid in it.

After you defrost it, it will probably be a thick gelatinous blob that too thick to be gravy. The. You add water and heat it up.

They just make a gravy that doesn't have enough liquid in it.

After you defrost it, it will probably be a thick gelatinous blob that too thick to be gravy. The. You add water and heat it up.

I doubt she would want to use the whole three pounds all at once. So how would you determine how much is what you need at that moment? I wouldn't want to thaw out the whole block. Then refreeze what I didn't take. :angel:

I doubt she would want to use the whole three pounds all at once. So how would you determine how much is what you need at that moment? I wouldn't want to thaw out the whole block. Then refreeze what I didn't take. :angel:

You don't have much of a choice. The product was intended for restaurant use. If it's defrosted in the fridge and broken down onto serving-sized amounts, it can safely be refrozen. Texture isn't an issue as it's a liquid. Then just defrost, heat and add water to the desired thickness.

From a Food supplier, I purchased a large block of frozen concentrated gravy. It was a about 3 lbs frozen.
To use, all that was required was adding 6 to 8 cups water.

How is a condensed concentrated gravy made so that I can just add water.
It would seem that the flour has to be pre-cooked but I don't know how to do this.

Any ideas?
Thanks

You could try making a dark roux, similar to this one, and flavoring it with granulated chicken or beef bouillon.

Deep South Dish: Easy Dark Oven Roux

You could also make a powdered version of the mixture similar to this.

DIY Brown Gravy Packet - Dave's Homestead

Good luck!

Thanks all for you input. To clairfy what I want to do; is create a concentrated form, freeze it and then (break off what I need) reconstitue it with water. It is the flour part of how to cook it with out adding alot of fat or water to cook it.
Just as an example, I saw one recipe that wanted 1 cup flour to 1/2 lb of suet. But that volume of fat/oil would not be an option for me.

Thanks all for you input. To clairfy what I want to do; is create a concentrated form, freeze it and then (break off what I need) reconstitue it with water. It is the flour part of how to cook it with out adding alot of fat or water to cook it.
Just as an example, I saw one recipe that wanted 1 cup flour to 1/2 lb of suet. But that volume of fat/oil would not be an option for me.

For gravy, you usually make a roux. That's equal parts of a fat and flour that you cook together until the flour darkens. You can make as much of that as you like and freeze meal-sized portions. Then, when you want gravy for a meal, just heat it in a pan and whisk in the broth of your choice.

If you don't want to use fat, you can brown flour on a cookie sheet is a 350ºF oven until it's golden brown. Then, if you whisk in broth, you'd have a thicker liquid. Without fat, it wouldn't be a very good gravy.

Hmmmm, Ok..
I don't have a problem with using fat; it's just the quantity.
How much fat can I get away with using for say, one cup of flour?

Hmmmm, Ok..

1 part fat to 1 part flour is pretty standard

When making a concentrate look at the fat in a 1/4-1/2 cup of the finished gravy, it might not be so scary.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hmmmm, Ok..

A cup of flour weighs about 4.5 ounces. The fat quantity for that cup of flour should be 4.5 ounces of fat. If that's too much for you, just use an amount you're comfortable with. Then you can determine if you like the result.

You don't have much of a choice. The product was intended for restaurant use. If it's defrosted in the fridge and broken down onto serving-sized amounts, it can safely be refrozen. Texture isn't an issue as it's a liquid. Then just defrost, heat and add water to the desired thickness.

Thanks Andy for the info on refreezing liquid food items. I did feel that the whole block was meant as a day's supply for a restaurant. I had visions of her getting out a hack saw and cutting off a piece. And having never refrozen any liquid food item, I didn't go that route. :angel:

You can also just make a slurry, which is a thick mixture of water and flour. Whisk it until smooth, then add it to your thin beefy broth, while continuing to whisk it in. Let it simmer on low for 5 or 10 minutes to cook the flour. If it comes up lumpy, just strain your gravy before serving..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom