Give us your meatball recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmmm, meatballs. Let me count the ways.

Classic Italian is my favorite. Sometimes I push a small cube of mozzarella in the center.

Then there's:

Greek - ground lamb or combo of lamb and beef, feta cheese, greek seasoning (Cavender's or oregano). Served in pita pockets w/ Tzatiki sauce or with orzo. You can skewer the balls & place them under the broiler or bake.

Asian - ground pork, soy sauce, water chestnuts, cilantro... I have a recipe w/ lime dipping sauce.

Mexican - Enchilada sauce, crushed tortilla chips, etc.

Sausage, chopped apples, & sage.

Philly Meatball Sub - meatballs, onions, peppers & provolone.

Meatball lasagna

Meatball pizza

Just a few to whet your meatball appetite.

Last edited:
I like the sound of these :)

We love these and have them often:

Chicken Meatballs w/ Peperonata

Peperonata:
jar of roasted bell peppers, drained and diced
1 t red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 1/2 T capers, drained
1/4 t hot red pepper flakes

Meatballs:
1-lb ground chicken
1 c Italian bread torn into peices (about 3 slices worth)
1/3 c milk
2 T olive oil
1/4 c flat-leaf parsley
1 T tomato paste
1 large egg
3-oz pancetta, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced

Heat roasted peppers, capers, vinegar, 1 T oil and pepper flakes over medium heat until warmed through.

Soak bread in milk until soft, 5 min or so.

Cook the onion, garlic and pancetta in 1 T oil until onion is softened. Cool slightly.

Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, Discard the milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl, then combine with the pancetta mixture, bread, chicken and parsley. Form 12 meatballs and arrange in a 4-sided sheet pan.

Stir together tomato paste and 1 T oil. Brush over the meatballs. Bake @ 400F until meatballs are just cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve meatballs with peperonata.

I don't have a real recipe, but I make an Asian meatball. For a pound of ground beef, I add an egg, a cup of finely chopped cabbage or Chinese cabbage, a cup of minced onions or garlic chives, minced garlic, lemon zest and finely minced ginger. A little splash of fish sauce and maybe some sherry.

I also use this mix as filling for dumplings/potstickers, when I decide to go wild and eat carbs!

Asian Chickn Meatballs:

I've posted this recipe before, but it bears repeating.

Asian Chicken Meatballs
1 lb. ground chicken
1 stalk celery, minced
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1 small can water chestnuts, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. Chinese 5- Spice powder
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
3 tbs. soy sauce
1 large egg
2 tbs. AP Flour

Combine all ingredients; Lightly brown in a little oil on all sides. Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan, and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with noodles of choice, or brown rice, and Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce

Yooper Meatballs
2/3 lb. ground beef
1/3 lb. Chudaghi Sausage
1/2 onion, minced
3 tbs. dried bread crumbs
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried sweet basil
1 egg
S & P to taste

Form into 1 inch meatballs and brown on all sides. Then bake at 350' for 20 minutes. Serve on submarine buns with your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce, and provolone cheese.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A Northern Italian leftover recipe:

Amaretto meatballs with Risotto alla Parmigiana

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the Risotto:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rice (better Carnaroli rice)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 white onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meat broth[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grated Parmesan cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the meatballs (2 servings):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 oz. mixed boiled meat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-2 crumbled Amaretto cookies[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a little pinch of grated nutmeg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]salt, pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]white flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slice the onion and brown it in butter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add a big handful of rice per serving.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Toast the rice for a couple of minutes, stirring.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add a ladle of meat broth per serving, plus two ladles for the pot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let cook for about 15 minutes at a low heat, without stirring.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the broth is not salty enough, add some salt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A couple of minutes before the rice is done, add two tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese and a half tablespoon of butter for each serving.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stir, wait a couple of minutes and then turn off the stove and let the risotto rest for five minutes before serving.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This kind of risotto shouldn’t be too dry, it should be slightly creamy. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mince the meat and add the Parmesan cheese, the egg, the crumbled Amaretto cookies, the nutmeg, salt and pepper.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Knead and form little balls the size of a walnut.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Flour them and boil them in meat broth for 2-3 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serve the meatballs with the risotto aside.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you like the dish sweeter, sprinkle the risotto with Amaretto cookies crumbs.[/FONT]

chief, when i got my first apartment and started to cook, i was working with an old italian guy who often bragged about his momma's meataballs. he brought them on to work every now and then for a few of us, and they were fantastic. so i asked him to ask him mom for her recipe.

he eventually asked her, and having no written recipe the best he could do was just try to explain it.

he said you do everything in trees. :huh:

he went on describing it, and i realized that he meant every ingredienr was in some ratio of 3.

in order to make 12 meatballs (3 each for 4 people), tou start with about a pound and a third of ground meats. that would be 2/3 of a pound of 90/10 ground beef, 1/3 of a pound of ground pork, and 1/3 of a pound of ground veal. i like to sub 93/7 ground turkey for the veal.

after mixing it all together, place it in a large bowl, and eye out the measurements of dried parsley, grated romano, and seasoned breadcrumbs so each is equal to about 1/3 of the volume of the meat mixture.

then add 3 eggs and a splash of milk and combine everything into a uniform mixture.

roll out the balls by hand so you end up with about a dozen, and fry the meatballs in either olive or grapeseed oil on at least 3 sides, then put into tomato sauce to finish cooking.

ya see, everthing in trees. :chef:

chief, when i got my first apartment and started to cook, i was working with an old italian guy who often bragged about his momma's meataballs. he brought them on to work every now and then for a few of us, and they were fantastic. so i asked him to ask him mom for her recipe.

he eventually asked her, and having no written recipe the best he could do was just try to explain it.

he said you do everything in trees. :huh:

he went on describing it, and i realized that he meant every ingredienr was in some ratio of 3.

in order to make 12 meatballs (3 each for 4 people), tou start with about a pound and a third of ground meats. that would be 2/3 of a pound of 90/10 ground beef, 1/3 of a pound of ground pork, and 1/3 of a pound of ground veal. i like to sub 93/7 ground turkey for the veal.

after mixing it all together, place it in a large bowl, and eye out the measurements of dried parsley, grated romano, and seasoned breadcrumbs so each is equal to about 1/3 of the volume of the meat mixture.

then add 3 eggs and a splash of milk and combine everything into a uniform mixture.

roll out the balls by hand so you end up with about a dozen, and fry the meatballs in either olive or grapeseed oil on at least 3 sides, then put into tomato sauce to finish cooking.

ya see, everthing in trees. :chef:

Great story, great recipe. Thanks BT. Seeya in trees (unless you're just too old to climb the tree of knowledge anymore:LOL:).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom