"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
chief, when i got my first apartment and started to cook, i was working with an old italian guy who often bragged about his momma's meataballs. he brought them on to work every now and then for a few of us, and they were fantastic. so i asked him to ask him mom for her recipe.

he eventually asked her, and having no written recipe the best he could do was just try to explain it.

he said you do everything in trees.

he went on describing it, and i realized that he meant every ingredienr was in some ratio of 3.

in order to make 12 meatballs (3 each for 4 people), tou start with about a pound and a third of ground meats. that would be 2/3 of a pound of 90/10 ground beef, 1/3 of a pound of ground pork, and 1/3 of a pound of ground veal. i like to sub 93/7 ground turkey for the veal.

after mixing it all together, place it in a large bowl, and eye out the measurements of dried parsley, grated romano, and seasoned breadcrumbs so each is equal to about 1/3 of the volume of the meat mixture.

then add 3 eggs and a splash of milk and combine everything into a uniform mixture.

roll out the balls by hand so you end up with about a dozen, and fry the meatballs in either olive or grapeseed oil on at least 3 sides, then put into tomato sauce to finish cooking.

ya see, everthing in trees.
Great story, great recipe. Thanks BT. Seeya in trees (unless you're just too old to climb the tree of knowledge anymore).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None