"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Master Chef
Give us your meatball recipes

I wan't meatball recipes, from and for all of us. We all make them, and none of us have experienced every great kind of meatball out there. They can be any kind of meatballs, made any way you want. The more unique they are, the better.

Oh, by the way, we need a category for foods like force-meat, meatballs/loaf, pate', terrines, sausages, etc., you know things that are made with multiple kinds of meats, and other ingredients. If I'm making a meatloaf with ground beef, cudaghi sausage, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, and seasonins, it doesn't really belong in the beef category, as the eggs are dairy, and the sausage is pork. I'll give a couple of my favorite meatball recipes when I have more time. Lunch is over and I need to get back to work.

I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Head Chef
You read my mind. I was going to start a topic re same. Just posted a different Venetian-style meatball recipe. Hope you'll take a look & give it a try.

Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Spicy Pork Meatballs

•1 pound ground pork
•1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
•4 garlic cloves, minced
•3 green onions, finely chopped
•1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
•1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (such as sriracha)
•1 tablespoon sugar
•2 teaspoons cornstarch
•1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
•1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil

•Line rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Gently mix all ingredients in large bowl. Using moistened hands and scant tablespoonful for each, roll meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

•Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat sesame oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of meatballs. Sauté until brown and cooked through, turning meatballs often and lowering heat if browning too quickly, about 15 minutes. Transfer meatballs to another rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Master Chef
The only meatballs I like, the recipe is probably not any different than most of common recipes, the only thing I like it cooked in a gravy instead of tomato sauce.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Wow, Chief, what a great idea! I love meatballs! I have some ground beef and pork in the fridge just waiting for inspiration!

If anyone has a way to make them on the grill, I'd love to hear it. I usually roast them, but it's going to be hot this week.

I'll get mine typed up, too. I have a great recipe for Greek meatballs and one for sweet and sour meatballs. Mmmm ... meatballs.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Master Chef
This recipe was a winner in our local March Meatball Madness contest.

I am going to try it this year during zucchini season.

I will substitute grated raw zucchini, squeezed dry, for the spinach.

I am always looking for a way to rid the world of another zucchini!

Dominick's Florentine Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
10 ounces of frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 minced onion
3 eggs
3 slices day old Italian bread soaked in water and squeezed dry
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 t dry parsley
2 t black pepper

Mix well and portion using a 2 ounce scoop. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and simmer in sauce for 10 to 15 minutes prior to serving.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Head Chef
We love these and have them often:

Chicken Meatballs w/ Peperonata

jar of roasted bell peppers, drained and diced
1 t red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 1/2 T capers, drained
1/4 t hot red pepper flakes

1-lb ground chicken
1 c Italian bread torn into peices (about 3 slices worth)
1/3 c milk
2 T olive oil
1/4 c flat-leaf parsley
1 T tomato paste
1 large egg
3-oz pancetta, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced

Heat roasted peppers, capers, vinegar, 1 T oil and pepper flakes over medium heat until warmed through.

Soak bread in milk until soft, 5 min or so.

Cook the onion, garlic and pancetta in 1 T oil until onion is softened. Cool slightly.

Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, Discard the milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl, then combine with the pancetta mixture, bread, chicken and parsley. Form 12 meatballs and arrange in a 4-sided sheet pan.

Stir together tomato paste and 1 T oil. Brush over the meatballs. Bake @ 400F until meatballs are just cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve meatballs with peperonata.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
This is an extraordinarily tasty and tender meatball recipe. It is part of a broader recipe for a Sunday Ragu which also includes tomato sauce, Italian sausages and a pork braciole.

I have served them to many in that form. I have also served them in sauce on a buffet table and in meatball subs. Everyone raves over these meatballs in sauce.

I use a FP for the veggies because I don't like the odd big chunk of onion in my meatballs.

Meatballs (Polpetti)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
½ Lb Ground Pork
1¼ C Bread Crumbs
¾ C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian Parsley, chopped
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients including the cooled onion mixture.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in the remaining olive oil. Add them to the Sunday Ragu recipe to complete cooking. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce and return it to the pot.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Giada's turkey meatballs are BY FAR the best meatballs I've ever had. I completely lost my taste for the traditional pork/beef/veal meatballs afterward. Give it a try, the flavor is outstanding.

Penne with Turkey Meatballs Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network

Never made the sauce and I serve them with linguine so I can't comment on the recipe as a whole.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Nothin' here, other than I want to try all of these recipes.....

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote