Going to try high heat roast - eye of round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caslon, do you remember the cost per pound? Grass-fed is usually much more expensive than grain-fed - like twice as much.

It was $3.99 a pound Eye Round Roast 2.5 lbs.

Grass fed beef is more healthy for you, but grain fed beef (especially a lean cut like eye round) has more fat content and therefore tends to be more tender and flavorful. I realize eye round is lean to begin with. Maybe it was grain fed seeing as how its $3.99 lb.

I'm gonna try msmofet's method. I like the way msmofet's roast has a gradual transition from the outer doneness to center redness. Mine cooked up with too distinct a band of doneness surrounding the center redness, no gradualness.

Last edited:
At $3.99/pound, I'm positive it was grain-fed :) Grass-fed is very expensive, no matter which cut you're talking about.

I think Costco charges more than $3.99 a pound for eye round. And I am not at all sure its "grass fed"?
In fact I am fairly certain its not "grass fed" and is more expensive than $3.99.
I need to check on this as I am not sure about Costco beef. I know its the best beef i can get in my area, but I have no idea of the origin of the beef.

I think Costco charges more than $3.99 a pound for eye round. And I am not at all sure its "grass fed"?
In fact I am fairly certain its not "grass fed" and is more expensive than $3.99.
I need to check on this as I am not sure about Costco beef. I know its the best beef i can get in my area, but I have no idea of the origin of the beef.

Well, I wasn't saying that eye round would or should cost $3.99/pound. I was saying that there's no way grain-fed would be as cheap as $3.99/pound.

I've used msmofet's method with success in my gas oven.

I only cook with gas. I had an electric stove/oven and HATED it.

It was $3.99 a pound Eye Round Roast 2.5 lbs.

Grass fed beef is more healthy for you, but grain fed beef (especially a lean cut like eye round) has more fat content and therefore tends to be more tender and flavorful. I realize eye round is lean to begin with. Maybe it was grain fed seeing as how its $3.99 lb.

I'm gonna try msmofet's method. I like the way msmofet's roast has a gradual transition from the outer doneness to center redness. Mine cooked up with too distinct a band of doneness surrounding the center redness, no gradualness.

I that eye round was from my Fairway market. It was a Prime cut not the usual choice cut sold in the markets. I can't remember the price but the flavor was out of this world fantastic.

Well, I wasn't saying that eye round would or should cost $3.99/pound. I was saying that there's no way grain-fed would be as cheap as $3.99/pound.

Then I misunderstood you GG.
I did check Costco and their eye round is $4.99 a LB. I still have a half eye left. I am going to try Craig's roasting method when I roast it.

Back
Top Bottom