"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Caslon, do you remember the cost per pound? Grass-fed is usually much more expensive than grain-fed - like twice as much.
It was $3.99 a pound Eye Round Roast 2.5 lbs.

Grass fed beef is more healthy for you, but grain fed beef (especially a lean cut like eye round) has more fat content and therefore tends to be more tender and flavorful. I realize eye round is lean to begin with. Maybe it was grain fed seeing as how its $3.99 lb.

I'm gonna try msmofet's method. I like the way msmofet's roast has a gradual transition from the outer doneness to center redness. Mine cooked up with too distinct a band of doneness surrounding the center redness, no gradualness.
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
At $3.99/pound, I'm positive it was grain-fed Grass-fed is very expensive, no matter which cut you're talking about.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
At $3.99/pound, I'm positive it was grain-fed Grass-fed is very expensive, no matter which cut you're talking about.
I think Costco charges more than $3.99 a pound for eye round. And I am not at all sure its "grass fed"?
In fact I am fairly certain its not "grass fed" and is more expensive than $3.99.
I need to check on this as I am not sure about Costco beef. I know its the best beef i can get in my area, but I have no idea of the origin of the beef.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I think Costco charges more than $3.99 a pound for eye round. And I am not at all sure its "grass fed"?
In fact I am fairly certain its not "grass fed" and is more expensive than $3.99.
I need to check on this as I am not sure about Costco beef. I know its the best beef i can get in my area, but I have no idea of the origin of the beef.
Well, I wasn't saying that eye round would or should cost $3.99/pound. I was saying that there's no way grain-fed would be as cheap as $3.99/pound.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've used msmofet's method with success in my gas oven.
I only cook with gas. I had an electric stove/oven and HATED it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
It was $3.99 a pound Eye Round Roast 2.5 lbs.

Grass fed beef is more healthy for you, but grain fed beef (especially a lean cut like eye round) has more fat content and therefore tends to be more tender and flavorful. I realize eye round is lean to begin with. Maybe it was grain fed seeing as how its $3.99 lb.

I'm gonna try msmofet's method. I like the way msmofet's roast has a gradual transition from the outer doneness to center redness. Mine cooked up with too distinct a band of doneness surrounding the center redness, no gradualness.
I that eye round was from my Fairway market. It was a Prime cut not the usual choice cut sold in the markets. I can't remember the price but the flavor was out of this world fantastic.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, I wasn't saying that eye round would or should cost $3.99/pound. I was saying that there's no way grain-fed would be as cheap as $3.99/pound.
Then I misunderstood you GG.
I did check Costco and their eye round is $4.99 a LB. I still have a half eye left. I am going to try Craig's roasting method when I roast it.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roast

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.