Going to try high heat roast - eye of round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Going to try high heat roasting - eye of round

I've cooked eye of round quite a few times with the conventional one temperature method. I always try for medium rare. It came out ok, but eye of round is hard to get just right. Anyways, I bought a 2.6 lb eye of round roast and will try the high heat method. You cook it for 7 minutes per pound at 500F, then turn down (or off?) the oven and let it cook for 2.5 hours.
It's not an old electric oven, so I don't think heat leakage will be a problem.

Can anyone tell me if you tried this method and whether or not you turned off the oven after the 500F cook time? Some feedback says they left it in at the ovens lowest temperature (170F?) for the 2.5 hour cook time. I think that's because they had a gas oven or their oven leaked heat.

Did anyone have success just turning off the oven or did you set the oven temp at its lowest temp for the 2.5 hours (not gas oven)? Also...their recipe started out with a 6 lb roast. I should adjust that 2.5 hour time because my roast is 2.6 lbs?

Any feedback welcomed on how your eye of round roast came out using the high heat method and a 2.5lb eye of round roast.

Last edited:
I like to roast at high temps, I start with a 475 degree pre heated oven and roast for 20 minutes then turn the temp to 375 until done; 135-140 degrees. Wrap in foil for 20 minutes and serve.

I've roasted only standing rib roasts with the "high heat/turn off and don't open the oven door" method. If you try this on the eye of round and it doesn't turn out perfectly, you can always chill the beef, slice it thin, and simmer in BBQ sauce for barbecue beef sandwiches.

Eye round is my favorite cut for a roast beef and it always comes out perfect. Great flavor and tender.
I cook my eye round roasts 15 minutes per pound or to an internal temp of 120F. ok so this roast was just 3 lb. so my formula is 15 minutes per pound so my 3 lb. roast will cook 45 minutes. I set my oven to convection roast and 500F. I rub the roast all over with olive oil then rub all over with spices. place in roasting pan (no rack) and roast at 500F for 15 minutes (I always cook high the first 15 minutes no matter what the poundage). after 15 minutes turn oven down to convection roast 350F and roast for another 30 minutes for my 3 lb. roast (or what every the rest of 15 minutes per pound time you calculated for your roast size) for total cooking time of 45 minutes. I sometimes check about 15 minutes early because there is always an exception to the rule. so be safe and check temp (I use an instant read not the leave in probe thermometer).

img_1349826_0_e4770d09e8f2a6a49439e5e68592c710.jpg

img_1349826_1_83bb4e5a5e8bdd1410f9a11cf7a40bb1.jpg

Ya, I'm looking to cook it to about that doneness. Looks tasty. I'm looking over recipe sites for a good marinade mix. I don't have any garlic cloves, just minced garlic.

I've cooked eye of round quite a few times with the conventional one temperature method. I always try for medium rare. It came out ok, but eye of round is hard to get just right. Anyways, I bought a 2.6 lb eye of round roast and will try the high heat method. You cook it for 7 minutes per pound at 500F, then turn down (or off?) the oven and let it cook for 2.5 hours.
It's not an old electric oven, so I don't think heat leakage will be a problem.

Can anyone tell me if you tried this method and whether or not you turned off the oven after the 500F cook time? Some feedback says they left it in at the ovens lowest temperature (170F?) for the 2.5 hour cook time. I think that's because they had a gas oven or their oven leaked heat.

Did anyone have success just turning off the oven or did you set the oven temp at its lowest temp for the 2.5 hours (not gas oven)? Also...their recipe started out with a 6 lb roast. I should adjust that 2.5 hour time because my roast is 2.6 lbs?

Any feedback welcomed on how your eye of round roast came out using the high heat method and a 2.5lb eye of round roast.

Why the mention of a gas oven? How is that different?

I buy whole eye of rounds and cut them up into approx 2 lb pieces. One thing I do is cook some up for sandwich meat for my daughter to take in her school lunches. A couple of days ago I slow roasted one in the counter top convection oven at 250. I put a thermometer in it set to go off at 115. It turned out great. The outside didn't have much of a crust but for sandwich meat I didn't require one. After it sat and cooled, I put it in the fridge. The next day when I sliced it, it turned out beautiful. Pink throughout, begining right under the surface. It had really firmed up and with a sharp knife I could slice it super thin. It's the way to go for me from now on....

Last edited:
I like Craig's roasting method. I have not tried it yet, but I too have a eye round in the freezer and thats how I will make it when I roast it.

Craig. Its 500 for 5 minutes and then what again? Sorry I could look that up.

I like Craig's roasting method. I have not tried it yet, but I too have a eye round in the freezer and thats how I will make it when I roast it.

Craig. Its 500 for 5 minutes and then what again? Sorry I could look that up.
I saved it to my recipe file:

Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Room temperature roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f6/how-to-cook-tender-juicy-beef-roast-89171.html#post1349305

I guess I'm not going to try this because I have a gas oven.

CarolPa, read the comments from the OP's site post. Some have success with gas ovens. It seems the way gas ovens vent, there may be an issue with the oven cooling down too fast. In cases like this, gas oven owners keep the oven temp set at the lowest temp setting after the high heat part.

One such comment from the original posters (OP's) site comment section:

"It will work in a gas oven…..but instead of turning the oven off…..turn it down to 150 degrees and leave it alone for 2 1/2. Worked great for us!"

Why do so many recipes say cook 2.5 hours after you've turned off the heat without mentioning the weight of the roast? I'm going to use a remote thermometer stuck in my roast. Does it not matter? 2.5 hrs. for all weights?

The recipe below starts the roast at 450F. They don't even mention the weight of their roast. Some commenters say their roast came out raw, tho these may have been gas oven owners.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/za1nw8c8/eye-of-the-round-beef-roast.html

My 2.5lb eye of round roast poked with holes is marinating as I type (about 18 hrs now). I guess I'll set the probe to 140F for medium rare? I'll use the 500F at 7 min a pound method, I guess.

Last edited:
CarolPa, read the comments from the OP's site post. Some have success with gas ovens. It seems the way gas ovens vent, there may be an issue with the oven cooling down too fast. In cases like this, gas oven owners keep the oven temp set at the lowest temp setting after the high heat part.

One such comment from the original posters (OP's) site comment section:

"It will work in a gas oven…..but instead of turning the oven off…..turn it down to 150 degrees and leave it alone for 2 1/2. Worked great for us!"

OK, now I understand. I thought it was UNSAFE to do this with a gas oven.

The roast cooked up ok, not fantastic. I set internal temp for 145F for medium rare but should have set it for 140F. It came out a bit toward medium. However, I've only cut off 1/4 of the roast end and not the middle of the roast yet. For a 2.5lb roast, the entire cook time from start to finish was 1.5 hours (including 17 min at 500F). I'm going to shorten that to 80 minutes next time for a more medium rare appearance. Also, I find that this cut of meat chews better if it's cut thinner than usual. Also, I read that beef from grass fed is a bit more chewy than grain fed beef. I'm not sure what type I bought at Albertson's supermarket, probably grass fed meat.

Last edited:
I was curious as to what it's going for now but when I was in the store over the weekend they didn't even have any. They had a small meat department. They will have it in Giant Eagle.

OK, now I understand. I thought it was UNSAFE to do this with a gas oven.

No, not unsafe. Because a gas oven may cool more quickly, the meat won't cook to the degree of doneness you expect. That's why you are instructed to leave the oven on at a very low temp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom