Got a couple of T-bone steak questions :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turkeyman

Cook
Hey all,

I'm new to this board and I would like to say I am very impressed with what I've seen so far. This forum seems to have just what I'm looking for -- advice in every possible category of the culinary arts -- relayed by real people. That said, I have posted in the beef section because the mastery of steak(or something relatively close) is certainly on my list of cooking goals. Here's my story and questions:

I bought a nice 3 lb package of T-bone two weeks ago for an absolutely amazing price. It was two full steaks, each 1.5 lbs...so I cut each steak into two for a total of four servings. Each Saturday I pull out one of the servings (I'm through two of them so far...and want the next two to be stellar) and do my best to turn it into something edible. With the two servings I've already cooked, the results haven't quite satisfied me -- the crust on the meat is great but the inside is bloody red(It's pretty much on the brink of rare) and some parts near the bone seem almost uncooked :LOL: . Keep in mind this is an almost 2" steak...so my technique might work for a normal sized steak but a T-bone seems to need something more!

My cooking technique is the following:
-No marinade
-Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil on the meat itself(of course patting it in thoroughly)
-Searing in an iron skillet on medium high with some olive oil --> 1 minute 30 seconds each side, for a total of three minutes
-After the searing, I turn it a third time(so it's back on the original side), and I stick it into a 350 degree oven(on bake, not broil) for about 5 minutes, and afterwards let it sit for another 5-10 minutes so the juices can redistribute.

This was actually what I did last Saturday...the Saturday before that I gave it even less time(seared for 1 minute on each side and 4 minutes in the oven hahaha).

I want my last two servings to be mega tasty and actually cooked! Medium is what I wish, so not as bloody a steak as I tend to get. Any tips/suggestions? Ah, and no marinades if you can help it...

I'm thinking that the oven should be more like 450, and I should leave it in there for a total of 8-9 minutes instead of 5. Also, I should maybe sear two or three minutes on each side...what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I can't give you what your looking for, although, there are some real good cooks in here that love to give wonderful advise with steaks and such.
I just wanted to tell you, Welcome to DC. Stick around and join a really fun gang of people!!
8.gif

texasgirl said:
I can't give you what your looking for, although, there are some real good cooks in here that love to give wonderful advise with steaks and such.
I just wanted to tell you, Welcome to DC. Stick around and join a really fun gang of people!!
8.gif

Thank you very much texasgirl! I have a ton of questions to ask but this one leads the line :D.

Sounds to me like you've already answered your question. It needs to cook a little more. Either higher heat, or longer time. What I would do, is use an instant-read or probe thermometer, and cook the steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 130°F, which is mid-rare. Then, pull it out and let it rest, as carry-over cooking should take it up another 10°F to medium.

Are you limited to pan frying or do you have access to a grill? My suggestion would be to do everything the same, but put it on a smoking hot grill. 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes EAT! If this steak is really that thick, maybe do 3 minutes for one rotation. Good luck. This method hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks for the thermometer tip Allen, I'll have to invest in one sometime soon.

And Alix, yes I have access to both a gas and charcoal grill. I usually enjoy steak off the charcoal grill though, and don't seem to have a problem with it on there. I put all the coals to one side so I have a hot side and a cold side...I usually sear on the hot side for 2 minutes/2 minutes(as you said) and then on the coooler side for about 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes. I then take it off the grill, wrap partially in foil, and let sit for about 10 minutes(at least with a normal 1" steak). I just wanted to find a method where I don't have to go outside, and I also like the crust you get from a panfry :D. Winter's coming up so I'll have to revert to staying inside for a bit :( .

Welcome to DC.

I recommend your try what you proposed in your first post.

Also, you could use your grill through the winter, I do, and I live well north of you.

Hahaha Andy, actually come to think of it I use the thing whenever I can :D. I guess the point of this post was that I wanted to succeed in cooking the dish when a grill wasn't available.

The whole panfry-and-stick-into-oven technique fascinates me as a new cook, especially because you can use it for all types of meat --> just need the right cooking times. Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions...nothing short of awesome.

You said you separated the steaks so you got four separate portions out of two steaks. How did you do that? Did you cut the sirloin and the tenderloin pieces off the bone and cook them separately? If so, I don't understand your comment that the meat nearest the bone was nearly raw. Did you leave one of the two pieces on the bone?

I used my caveman intellect on this one. If the T-bone was like such:

________
|
|
|

I just cut it around the middle of the second vertical bar...It's weird I know :O. The pieces I used two Saturdays ago and this past Saturday were the upper pieces...this weekend I'll be using the lower ones. I don't think I was supposed to cut it...but I didn't want to eat too much :-D.

edit: ack I can't get the spacing right...but if you look at the letter T, I cut the bone a little bit below the intersection of the horizontal T-bar with the vertical T-bar

Like AllenMI mentioned, you answered your own question. It just needs to cook a little longer. You mentioned that you were happy with the crust that formed, so you don't need to sear it any more than when you already have. that part is working for you. Instead of 5 minutes in the oven, try 7 or 8.

What kind of pan are you cooking these in? Cast iron is a favorite when cooking steaks because they hold onto the heat so well. If you are using cast iron then you could even modify your technique a little bit if you wanted. Sear the first side as you have been doing, then flip the steak onto the second side and place right in the oven. There will be enough heat left in the pan to sear that second side and form a nice crust without having it on the stove top.

Even if you don't do that, you probably do not need to flip the meat that third time. Just sear on side on, flip, sear on side two, put in oven. The way you did it won't hurt anything as far as I know, but it is just not necessary.

Good advice as always.The only things I'll add,make sure the steaks have come upto room temperature and that includes
the interior of the steak.Also you want to crank the oven as hot as it will go,500 if you can.And by all means use a themometer with it resting very close to the bone,but not touching,about 1/2" away.You might want to leave the pepper
off the steak at the beginning,it only burns and goes bitter,pepper after or very close to the end.

foodaholic said:
The only things I'll add,make sure the steaks have come upto room temperature and that includes
the interior of the steak.
Very good advice, especially with the thickness of your steak! Let it sit on the counter for at least half an hour before cooking.

Exactly what you said in your first post.

The oven absolutely needs to be hotter. 450 is good. Open windows!

The sear and blast (hot oven) method is pretty foolproof, once you get the hang of it.

The length of time you leave it on the oven depends on how done you want it. Use a meat thermometer but also press your finger or thumb on the meat so that you develop a good sense of how pliable (soft) the meat feels at different degrees of doneness.

Yeap it's a cast-iron skillet...I'll make sure to crank up that oven temperature and bring the steak fully up to room temperature. I think I may have only let my steak sit outside for around 10-15 minutes because I was eager to eat hahah.

Thanks for the tips everyone...I think I'll do it right this time, and I'll be purchasing a thermometer soon.

The advice about letting it come up to room temp is very pertinent, especially for a steak as thick as you are using. In 15 minutes, the center is still fully referigerated. I'd be inclined to let it sit for a full hour before cooking. I can't give much other advice about the pan fry to oven method, as I almost always grill my steaks completely on my Weber gas grill. It has excellent heat control, and I can sear the steak and finish it complete. I also never try to go beyond medium rare, but on a thick steak, using a thermometer is also a great idea until you get enough practice to know how long it takes. One more thing, go easy with the salt, as salting meat before cooking can have a tendency to make it dry out.

Good luck... nothing much beats a properly cooked steak. :chef:

That's the beauty of cast iron skillets. I love the ability to pop them into the oven, then after it's done, remove the item, and make a sauce from the pan drippings. Due to the time and temperatures used for this huge steak (I'm drooling!), the drippings might be burned, but if they aren't, I'd be itching to hit the pan with a little brandy or cognac, and once the flames die down, a little demi-glace and dijon mustard.

You know, I'm wondering what the point of the olive oil is?? Seems to me that would cause undue smoking, and you would'nt be able to taste it once the food was done cooking, not to mention that would cause the crust to form too quickly, making the meat still raw on the inside???

What I do is buy thinner steaks!!!, no really, I would use the cast iron, or I use a SS pan, personally for this stuff, but heat it over med mid-hi heat until droplets of water dance on the surface, then add my seasoned steaks to the dry pan. If the pan is hot enough when you add your steaks, they will release themselves once they are done caramelizing. Turn them over. Then you can place in the oven, or reduce the heat on the stovetop to about medium, and cook until they are done. This way, you have the, what does emeril call them, goonies, goodies, goombies... in the bottom of the pan, and you can make your pan sauce.
I do the same w/ pork tenderloin, but after I sear the outside, I place it in a hot over, say 425 for 15 minutes.
BTW, did you know that the larger part of the T-Bone is the NY Steak, and the smaller portion is the filet mignon, depends on how the butcher cuts that section of the cow??
My favorite way to cook a NY steak is by coating it w/ crushed pepper and cooking as above. The pepper doesn't get bitter for me, only makes the steak better.
B.

Let me see if I can explain this through words.

Make a fist with your left hand be sure your thumb is overlapping your fingers and not tucked inside your palm and fingers.

Ok......make a TIGHT FIST with your left hand and take your index finger on you right hand ..... with the tip of that finger touch the area on your left hand ..... that web of skin between your index finger and thumb = Meat is well done.

Ok.....loosen your fist just a bit = Meat is medium rare.

Ok.....relax the fist = Meat is rare.

I only use this technique on my steaks. With time you'll learn pretty much how long it takes to get your steaks the way you like them. However, I've been cooking steaks for quite some time and still have a tendancy to overcook mine at times or not cook DH long enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom