"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Cook

Got a couple of T-bone steak questions :D

Hey all,

I'm new to this board and I would like to say I am very impressed with what I've seen so far. This forum seems to have just what I'm looking for -- advice in every possible category of the culinary arts -- relayed by real people. That said, I have posted in the beef section because the mastery of steak(or something relatively close) is certainly on my list of cooking goals. Here's my story and questions:

I bought a nice 3 lb package of T-bone two weeks ago for an absolutely amazing price. It was two full steaks, each 1.5 lbs...so I cut each steak into two for a total of four servings. Each Saturday I pull out one of the servings (I'm through two of them so far...and want the next two to be stellar) and do my best to turn it into something edible. With the two servings I've already cooked, the results haven't quite satisfied me -- the crust on the meat is great but the inside is bloody red(It's pretty much on the brink of rare) and some parts near the bone seem almost uncooked . Keep in mind this is an almost 2" steak...so my technique might work for a normal sized steak but a T-bone seems to need something more!

My cooking technique is the following:
-No marinade
-Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil on the meat itself(of course patting it in thoroughly)
-Searing in an iron skillet on medium high with some olive oil --> 1 minute 30 seconds each side, for a total of three minutes
-After the searing, I turn it a third time(so it's back on the original side), and I stick it into a 350 degree oven(on bake, not broil) for about 5 minutes, and afterwards let it sit for another 5-10 minutes so the juices can redistribute.

This was actually what I did last Saturday...the Saturday before that I gave it even less time(seared for 1 minute on each side and 4 minutes in the oven hahaha).

I want my last two servings to be mega tasty and actually cooked! Medium is what I wish, so not as bloody a steak as I tend to get. Any tips/suggestions? Ah, and no marinades if you can help it...

I'm thinking that the oven should be more like 450, and I should leave it in there for a total of 8-9 minutes instead of 5. Also, I should maybe sear two or three minutes on each side...what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help

Old 09-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
Master Chef

I can't give you what your looking for, although, there are some real good cooks in here that love to give wonderful advise with steaks and such.
I just wanted to tell you, Welcome to DC. Stick around and join a really fun gang of people!!

Old 09-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I can't give you what your looking for, although, there are some real good cooks in here that love to give wonderful advise with steaks and such.
I just wanted to tell you, Welcome to DC. Stick around and join a really fun gang of people!!
Thank you very much texasgirl! I have a ton of questions to ask but this one leads the line :D.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Sounds to me like you've already answered your question. It needs to cook a little more. Either higher heat, or longer time. What I would do, is use an instant-read or probe thermometer, and cook the steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 130F, which is mid-rare. Then, pull it out and let it rest, as carry-over cooking should take it up another 10F to medium.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Everymom

Are you limited to pan frying or do you have access to a grill? My suggestion would be to do everything the same, but put it on a smoking hot grill. 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes EAT! If this steak is really that thick, maybe do 3 minutes for one rotation. Good luck. This method hasn't failed me yet.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
Cook

Thanks for the thermometer tip Allen, I'll have to invest in one sometime soon.

And Alix, yes I have access to both a gas and charcoal grill. I usually enjoy steak off the charcoal grill though, and don't seem to have a problem with it on there. I put all the coals to one side so I have a hot side and a cold side...I usually sear on the hot side for 2 minutes/2 minutes(as you said) and then on the coooler side for about 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes. I then take it off the grill, wrap partially in foil, and let sit for about 10 minutes(at least with a normal 1" steak). I just wanted to find a method where I don't have to go outside, and I also like the crust you get from a panfry :D. Winter's coming up so I'll have to revert to staying inside for a bit .
Old 09-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

I recommend your try what you proposed in your first post.

Also, you could use your grill through the winter, I do, and I live well north of you.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
Cook

Hahaha Andy, actually come to think of it I use the thing whenever I can :D. I guess the point of this post was that I wanted to succeed in cooking the dish when a grill wasn't available.

The whole panfry-and-stick-into-oven technique fascinates me as a new cook, especially because you can use it for all types of meat --> just need the right cooking times. Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions...nothing short of awesome.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

You said you separated the steaks so you got four separate portions out of two steaks. How did you do that? Did you cut the sirloin and the tenderloin pieces off the bone and cook them separately? If so, I don't understand your comment that the meat nearest the bone was nearly raw. Did you leave one of the two pieces on the bone?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #10
Cook

I used my caveman intellect on this one. If the T-bone was like such:

________
|
|
|

I just cut it around the middle of the second vertical bar...It's weird I know :O. The pieces I used two Saturdays ago and this past Saturday were the upper pieces...this weekend I'll be using the lower ones. I don't think I was supposed to cut it...but I didn't want to eat too much :-D.

edit: ack I can't get the spacing right...but if you look at the letter T, I cut the bone a little bit below the intersection of the horizontal T-bar with the vertical T-bar

Tags
None