"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Head Chef
Got my timing all wrong with my steaks

Latey, I've been trying to sear my steak on the stove and than putting the same pan with the steak in it, into the oven. sometimes I will pour some red wine into the pan before putting it into the oven. I will usually salt and pepper the steak and will put some oil in the pan to heat before searing.

However, my timing keeps on being wrong. The last time, it was a pretty skinny piece of steak. I think it was a T Bone.

I did 1 minute and 50 seconds on each side and than I THINK I did 4 minutes in the oven. Overdone, plus it sat for a few minutes afterwards.

Once again, I'll be cooking steak tonight. I tried measuring it with a ruler and some sides are 1.5 inches and some sides are 2 inches. I think this one is bigger than the last one I tried to cook.

Any advise on timing? I think I'd like it a nice Medium but not well done and not rare either. I usually cook 2 steaks.

My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Sear well on both sides and put tthe pan into a 400 F oven with no added liquid. Check the internal temperature after 8 minutes. It may take 10 minutes for medium rare.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef
You can't go strictly on timing alone, you need to go by the feel.

Steak Doneness

Steak Doneness - From Rare to Well, How to Cook a Steak

If you're still having trouble, then get a thermometer. You will never be able to get a consistent doneness by just going by a time.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
You can't go strictly on timing alone, you need to go by the feel.
That is so true. A screaming hot skillet for one person might be different for another, or maybe one has an electric oven (dry heat) compared to a gas oven, or for grilling, different BTUs or more flare ups.... too many variables.

Legend, go get yourself a loin cut into steaks and practice til you get "the feel". IMO, that's really the only way you can get several items to all be done at the same time anyway, you need to get the feel for how and when to adjust midstep.
Besides, you'll have fun practicing
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Also, the length of time it sits when you get it out of the oven will affect it's done ness.

It will continue cooking in it's own heat when you take it from the oven, so take it out a little earlier so when you actually eat it, it will be medium or whatever you like.

I had this issue as well doing the same thing. The next time I cooked like this, I put the steaks on later and had the rest of the meal plated right when I got the steaks out of the oven.
Vegemite - Just say no!!
knight76 is offline   Reply With Quote