Grandma Snarr's Pot Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My grandmother was famous for her pot roast and brown gravy. Here's how she made it:

GRANDMA SNARR’S POT ROAST

Chuck roast
Canola oil
Flour
Salt & pepper
Water
Carrots
Russet potatoes
Celery
Onion

There are no amounts given on the ingredients, as that is up to you.
The most important part of this recipe is searing the meat. It must be done at a high temperature, and, as grandma said, you must “burn the meat”. You know it’s right when the smoke detector goes off.

Salt and pepper the meat. Season the flour (about 1 ½ cups), and dredge the meat in it.
Heat heavy Dutch oven on high heat, add enough oil to cover bottom of skillet, and add meat. Lower the heat just a tiny bit, then let meat brown, uncovered, without turning until it’s very dark brown, like a chocolate roux. Turn meat and let it brown on the other side.
Add about 2 cups off water, turn heat down to med/low, and place meat on trivet if you have one. Cover and let cook until meat is tender, but not falling apart. Lift up meat and put vegetables on the bottom, then re-cover and let simmer until they are tender.
Remove meat from pot, place on platter and keep warm. Spoon out vegetables, and put in a separate serving bowl. Remove trivet. Estimate how much liquid you have in the pan (you may a little beef broth if you want a lot of gravy) and make a slurry out of one tablespoon of flour and one tablespoon of water for each cup of drippings. Whisk into liquid in pan, turn heat up to medium high, and cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning, and pour into gravy boat.

I saw this recipe earlier, but didn't have time to comment. I think it looks lovely. I just did a pot roast a couple of days ago, but it's not something I've done that often, and for some reason, neither did my mom. Mine turned out okay, but I think it could have been better. I will try your Gran's method for sure next time. Actually, Shoprite had beef on sale last week - from $1.29 per pound, so you could get a good size piece for under $10! Thanks! Sandyj

Oh, I get it...when I said I saw the recipe earlier, I meant this morning. I was here for about two minutes but had to dash off and do errands. Sorry!

The most important part of this recipe is searing the meat. It must be done at a high temperature, and, as grandma said, you must “burn the meat”. You know it’s right when the smoke detector goes off.
LOL! :LOL: I'm all for searing, but I think I'd stop just sort of carbon :ROFLMAO: Lovely classic recipe Constance, thanks for sharing it!

speaking of missing members, whatever happened to picc?

connie, this looks great. it's pretty much the same as my mom's (also famous :chef:) pot roast recipe, including the notes about getting a good browning.

thanks!

This one is, Uncle Bob. Grandma taught it to my mom and my aunt, and mom taught me. Mother made sometimes made Yorkshire pudding to go with it, along with the caramelized vegetables and that wonderful gravy.

When I was living in Louisiana, my Cajun hubbie's aunt decided to make me a Yankee pot roast for my birthday. Bless her heart. It was a delicious piece of meat, full of garlic and spices, but it was hardly a Yankee pot roast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom