"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
...Andy, I'm with you, I'm thinking simply seasoned, roasted in the oven at a very low temp. On the website for where I purchase the meat, it suggests to cook it to a medium rare / medium and slice thinly...
sattie, sounds great except I'd go with a higher temp for dry roasted beef. I tend to do oven roasts at 350-400 F.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

Ok, about how long do you think it would take to reach a medium rare?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

At 350 F I'd estimate 25 minutes per pound but verify with a meat thermometer. Three pounds would figure to 75 minutes (1 hour 15 minutes). Check the temp at 60 minutes. Pull the roast out at 135-140 F internal temp and let it rest, covered for 20 minutes before carving.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

sattie

you piqued my interest about the website. Is this near you or do you have it delivered to you? I am curious as to how this tastes compared to what I have been buying at Whole Foods. Not much difference in the price but I will have to pay for shipping. Since you have tried it before I feel confident in your opinion. I normally buy a Chuck Roast. Is Top Round the same cut?

I just hope you have good luck and not have the experience I did. Never wish that on someone what surprise when you can't get a good piece of meat tender.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My goodness. I get google alerts for 'grassfed beef' and thought I would just offer a reply for this one about 15 minutes ago. I have now finished the registration and will try to remember what I intended to say!

We are a family owned/operated grassfed beef producer. I assume a "top round roast" is what we call an "Eye of Round Roast". If so, we normally put this cut into our ground beef because it is too lean/dry for most people's taste. But we do sell a few so I am interested on how to cook them. We also are looking for a good way to cook a round steak!!!! I am the fence builder (my wife is the expert on the meat but is at a retreat) but would suggest slow cooking at say 350 degrees for 5 or more hours in a covered pan in the oven. Make sure your favorite marinade or a can of beer is in the pan to keep it moist. I am not that familar with a crock pot but am interested as to why the one post said to use an oven instead. I thought they were pretty much interchangeable.

My main purpose in this reply is not to teach cooking (althought I have learned to do it as a salesman at the farmers markets) but to discuss why grassfed beef cooks faster...which is true and important to know since most beef is overcooked thus by reasoning would mean even more grassfed beef is over cooked.

Our beef is grass fed & finished and is not lean. We are about 85% lean with lots of intermuscle fat and marbling. But our beef also cooks much faster than cornfed beef. My guess is that is has something to do with all the chemicals and preservatives in feed lot corn fed beef rather than anything to do with the grassfed beef? Any ideas?

Tags
None