Grass Fed Beef Top Round Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Folks,

I have a 3 lb. organic grass fed beef top round roast that I need some ideas for. I don't really want to prepare it as a roast per sey, but I would like some ideas of what else I could do with this cut of beef. Maybe the best way to prepare it is as a roast. If so, does any have any TNT recipes for grass fed beef?

I appreciate any tips/ideas for this.

That should be a good roast. Prepare it as you would a regular roast beef so you can appreciate the difference in flavor.

Miss Sattie

I think I am agreeing with Andy here. Pot-roast it, and keep it simple.
Grass fed beef will offer a somewhat different taste and texture. Enjoy that!
Monitor you cooking times/temperatures closely!

Enjoy!!!!

Not Sure

Once, I went to someone who told me his cows ate nothing but grass that was in the field. I was prepared for something good plus being healthy. Well, I fixed the same way any other meat and everyone could not eat due to the fact it was so tough. Later, I found out that when meat does not have the normal amount of fat it tends to be tough. I never went out there again. I did ask him why the roast turned out tough and he said I was first person who told him about this. I only wish I would have known maybe I could have baked it on lower temperature. What do you do when you have tough piece of beef? You don't know this ahead of time. My cousin gave me side of beef t hat they couldn't eat because of same reason. I gave it to someone else. I do feel bad about this experience but will not try something that someone else hasn't had good luck with. Cost too much.
I wish you good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

It's likely to be dry and tough. I suggest adapting a venison recipe or making a goulash with a sour cream sauce. Slow low temperature cooking with moist heat would be advisable.

Could also be used to make chili or a sauerbraten. If you do the latter I'd suggest going with a recipe that includes ginger.

Last edited:
Thankful

justplainbill said:
It's likely to be dry and tough. I suggest adapting a venison recipe or making a goulash with a sour cream sauce. Slow low temperature cooking with moist heat would be advisable.

Could also be used to make chili or a sauerbraten. If you do the latter I'd suggest going with a recipe that includes ginger.

Thanks for advising about the meat. I only wish I had known this BEFORE the fact. Ours was surely tough and dry. I did not make very much gravey as there was hardly nothing o work with. Makes a big difference about the kind of meat you choose. I sure won't forget it.

Thanks for your advice justplainbill.

In the Kitchen said:
Thanks for advising about the meat. I only wish I had known this BEFORE the fact. Ours was surely tough and dry. I did not make very much gravey as there was hardly nothing o work with. Makes a big difference about the kind of meat you choose. I sure won't forget it.

Thanks for your advice justplainbill.
I wish I had seen this before the fact. I would have dry-roasted as Andy M. said, but would have larded with bacon. When it comes to meat, the flavor and texture is all about the fat. Look for the marbling; if its not there, you need either a slow cook, high liquid method or an additional way of infusing fat.

I have been buying all my meats from this local ranch that raises all their livestock organically/naturally. I have not had any issues with any of the meats being dry or lacking fat/marbeling. As Andy stated, it does have a different texture than the meats you get at the grocery store. To me, and in particular with the roasting cuts, the meat is denser. I really enjoy the flavor and I like knowing that the livestock lived a somewhat normal life compared to what you may get at the gstore.

Andy, I'm with you, I'm thinking simply seasoned, roasted in the oven at a very low temp. On the website for where I purchase the meat, it suggests to cook it to a medium rare / medium and slice thinly.

Here is where I purchase from in case anyone is interested, it's pricey, but I like quality meat and I like knowing who's backyard it came from.

Burgundy Pasture Beef, Grandview, Texas, 817-866-2247

ITK... I agree, I think it is very helpful to know that the meat your in possession of is grass fed or not. It really does have to be handled differently and you also have to be prepared for the difference in the flavor.

sattie said:
...Andy, I'm with you, I'm thinking simply seasoned, roasted in the oven at a very low temp. On the website for where I purchase the meat, it suggests to cook it to a medium rare / medium and slice thinly...

sattie, sounds great except I'd go with a higher temp for dry roasted beef. I tend to do oven roasts at 350-400 F.

At 350 F I'd estimate 25 minutes per pound but verify with a meat thermometer. Three pounds would figure to 75 minutes (1 hour 15 minutes). Check the temp at 60 minutes. Pull the roast out at 135-140 F internal temp and let it rest, covered for 20 minutes before carving.

sattie

you piqued my interest about the website. Is this near you or do you have it delivered to you? I am curious as to how this tastes compared to what I have been buying at Whole Foods. Not much difference in the price but I will have to pay for shipping. Since you have tried it before I feel confident in your opinion. I normally buy a Chuck Roast. Is Top Round the same cut?

I just hope you have good luck and not have the experience I did. Never wish that on someone what surprise when you can't get a good piece of meat tender.

My goodness. I get google alerts for 'grassfed beef' and thought I would just offer a reply for this one about 15 minutes ago. I have now finished the registration and will try to remember what I intended to say!

We are a family owned/operated grassfed beef producer. I assume a "top round roast" is what we call an "Eye of Round Roast". If so, we normally put this cut into our ground beef because it is too lean/dry for most people's taste. But we do sell a few so I am interested on how to cook them. We also are looking for a good way to cook a round steak!!!! I am the fence builder (my wife is the expert on the meat but is at a retreat) but would suggest slow cooking at say 350 degrees for 5 or more hours in a covered pan in the oven. Make sure your favorite marinade or a can of beer is in the pan to keep it moist. I am not that familar with a crock pot but am interested as to why the one post said to use an oven instead. I thought they were pretty much interchangeable.

My main purpose in this reply is not to teach cooking (althought I have learned to do it as a salesman at the farmers markets) but to discuss why grassfed beef cooks faster...which is true and important to know since most beef is overcooked thus by reasoning would mean even more grassfed beef is over cooked.

Our beef is grass fed & finished and is not lean. We are about 85% lean with lots of intermuscle fat and marbling. But our beef also cooks much faster than cornfed beef. My guess is that is has something to do with all the chemicals and preservatives in feed lot corn fed beef rather than anything to do with the grassfed beef? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom