Great Tasting Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lifesaver

Executive Chef
This is the way i have made my meat loaf for several years and my family just goes crazy over it.

1 pound ground beef or ground chuck, which ever you decide. I use ground chuck.
1 pound ground pork
1/4 of each (green, red, yellow and orange) bell peppers chopped or diced
1 medium to large white onion chopped or diced
1 small can of mushrooms (stems and pieces) drained
4 large eggs
1 pkg. seasoned croutons or 1/2 cup of italian flavored bread crumbs
1 small can tomato sauce or 1 cup ketchup
salt and pepper, to taste
extra ketchup
Desired amount of grated cheddar cheese

In large bowl, mix all ingredients, except fot extra ketchup and grated cheddar cheese.
Mix well and put mixture into cake pan.
top loaf with ketchup, spreading over top of loaf and then sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over all.

Cover with aluminum foil and place in pre-heated oven 350 degrees for at least 1 hour. When done remove from oven and let set at least 30 to 45 minutes before serving.

Katie, could you mix it all up and then
cut it in to single size portions? Freeze until ready to bake?

I made some meatloaf a couple of nights ago. I just used ground beef. My other half asked if I was going to use sausage, but we didn't have any thawed. I diced up lots of onions, some celery, and some green bell pepper, as well as minced some garlic. The veggies got sauteed until tender. I always pre-cook the veggies for this, as I find they don't get soft when I bake the meatloaf.

I seasoned the meat with some McCormick's Broiled Steak Seasoning (PeppA's favorite seasoning blend), and some seasoned salt.

I added some eggs and crushed crackers.

It was pretty darn good.

I did think of something else I would like to try. Mix it all up, but instead of baking it, how about smoking the meatloaf? Someone on the BBQ forum mentioned what they called a "fattie", just a large sausage "loaf" that they smoked. I'd probably top the smoked meatloaf with BBQ sauce instead of ketchup.

DH has talked about making a smoked meatloaf. I'm going to have to remind him about that.
Truthfully, I love about any kind of meatloaf, but yours sounds extra good, Lifesaver.

Oh, I feel like I am going to die of hunger reading such a tasty stuff! :)) Have to lift myself to kitchen :))

Iw ould try a bit more mushrooms (there are plenty of them bought recently :))

I hated meatloaf as a kid. My mother made the general meatloaf with the ketchup topping - not my cup of tea. When my wife & I were dating (a few decades ago) she said she was going to make me meatloaf for dinner. I told her not to bother, I didn't like it. I don't have the exact recipe, but she would take ground beef, bread crumbs, garlic (lots), salt & pepper and mix it all together. Then she presses it out until it's thin. Puts a layer of mozzarella cheese on the meat and rolls it up and seals it. The loaf goes into a baking dish and gets covered with a can of cream of mushroom soup. FANTASTIC!

Back
Top Bottom