Greek beef sandwich I once had

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
It wasn't a Greek gyro, which is probably the most well known
Greek sandwich. It was beef that had been marinated until it turned white and looked like chicken. I'm not sure what that sandwich was called, but I'm thinking of doing the same...marinating beef until it turns white, like they did.
That place closed down long ago, but oh...that Greek sandwich was good.

What's that Greek sandwich called? Has anyone here ever had one? The beef looked like chicken. It must have been marinated 48 hours or something. Damn, it was good tasting. it wasn't a Gyro.

Last edited:
Hm. Beef turned white and looked like chicken. I have no idea what that might be.

My shish kabob with beef has always been beef-colored.

It was beef marinated until it looked like chicken, and cooked, put into a sandwich roll. I'm telling you all...it was gooooood! :yum:

Last edited:
It was probably marinated in either white vinegar or citrus juice. No beef that I'm familiar with.

Last edited:
I can't imagine beef marinating until it turned white, Caslon...? :ermm: Unless it was lamb in tzatziki until it just looked white.

Last edited:
If it was Greek, the acid was probably lemon. A strong acid marinade can make beef paler than its original red.

Maybe it was other than beef, I didn't ask. I believe it was beef. From what I read, if it does turn white, it's not harmful.

It was a drive-thru joint long past. It was so simply good.

I think it's called a Greek kabob sandwich or something. It's not a gryo.

Anyways...I sort of want to marinate beef chunks until they turn white like they did. :yum:

Edit: I marinated beef for a long time in the fridge once, it turned white. Not that mushy either. I'm thinking of doing this again.

Especially for kabobs using cheaper tougher cuts of beef.

Last edited:
"Marinating beef will not make it turn white".

Are you casting that in stone, GG?

Can we get some Greek relief here?

Last edited:
HUH?:ermm: Care to explain?

GG boldy states marinating beef won't turn it white, as I know it will.

I posted a reply advisory post to GG, asking if she's sure she knows all there is to know.

And like I asked...

...is there a Greek in this house?

Last edited:
"...as I know it will."
But HOW do you know?

Maybe it was other than beef, I didn't ask. I believe it was beef. From what I read, if it does turn white, it's not harmful...

I'm not Greek, I'm of Polish decent. But I have some Greek yoghurt everyday. Will that count? :LOL:

I just spent the last ten minutes of my life (that I won't get back :( ) googling the phrase "beef marinade to turn it white" and variations thereof. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. All my results turn up is that a marinade will turn chicken and pork white, beef fades to gray.

Your emboldened comment says "maybe" and "I didn't ask". So I'm guessing that you're guessing, right? The part I underlined said "From what I read...". You had better luck googling it than I did? Or is that memory from reading something in a book or magazine a while back? If you googled that, I'd be interested in the magic phrase you used to find it. I'd then have to pass my crown to you, since Himself calls me the "Queen of Googling".

IF you ate this a looong time ago, I'm going to guess you're remembering wrong. Trust me, as I've gotten older my rememberer isn't as good as it used to be. I'm afraid the only way to test this is to find Greek marinade recipes for beef and test them. Have fun!

GG boldy states marinating beef won't turn it white, as I know it will.

I posted a reply advisory post to GG, asking if she's sure she knows all there is to know.

And like I asked...

...is there a Greek in this house?

Heh. You have a weird way of saying things, Caslon. Reply advisory post question? ;)

I've done a lot more cooking, and studying cooking, than you have. I can say unequivocally that marinating beef will not turn it white. If you want to interpret that as saying I know everything... well... Okay. :) Whatever you say :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom