Ground beef and tot casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I guess this has been around a while, but this was the first time I tried it. I kicked it up just a little.

preheat oven to 375

Brown 1 1/2 lb of seasoned ground beef with a can of mushrooms and a whole onion diced. When all pink is disappearing add 1/2 cup masala wine and work until beef looses it chunks like a sloppy joe.Drain fat when cooked to your liking.

Add 3 cups beshamel with your favorite cheese melted in or a jarred white sauce. (I went easy tonight and used the white sauce-Classico brand)

Add some fresh green herbs like thyme and oregano or maybe savory or even rosemary.

Spread mixture in a baking dish and cover with tater tots and shredded cheese. Bake for about 40 minutes or until cheese browns and beef is bubbly.

This came out better than expected and I would make it again. This has got to be a 70's throwback dish but still good.

I served with chokes,corn and broccoli, but a salad would nicely too. I think you need a screwtop wine for this one!

Yum! Nice variation, 4me!

One of the first dishes I made in a microwave was TT Casserole, from one of the first cookbooks written for microwaves, back in the 80‘s. I still love it!

I think you need a screwtop wine for this one!

Hey - no need to EVER talk down to what's essentially "comfort food"! ;)

And what could be more comforting with "comfort food" (unless you're enjoying it while feeling ill) than a nice glass of wine. Oh - and quite a few very good wines come in "screw tops" these days.! :)

Thanks for the recipe - duly saved & in my "to try" file.

How'd that Classico white sauce cook up and Taste?? I bought two jars and don't remember Why I bought it now. Probably to put on the "emergency" shelf in case we got snowed in, but that didn't happen this winter.

If I recall, a bag of tater tots has more tots than fits on top of my casserole, so I butter the dish, line it with some tots, then the meat- mix and top with more tots and cheese. It's done when the cheese melts and the sauce bubbles up over the tots. Mm-mmm.

I am surprised Jennyma hasn't joined in here. She has to be the Queen of Tater Tots. It is her comfort food. :angel:

How'd that Classico white sauce cook up and Taste?? I bought two jars and don't remember Why I bought it now. Probably to put on the "emergency" shelf in case we got snowed in, but that didn't happen this winter.

Actually, it's not really a "white" (aka Bechamel) sauce, but an "Alfredo" sauce. I've tried Classico, Newman's Own, & a few other brands over the years (all with parmesan &/or romano cheese), & have found them all WAY too salty for my taste.

I think you're better off making your own white/Bechamel sauce & adding your own shredded cheese to it. This way you can control the seasoning.

Actually, it's not really a "white" (aka Bechamel) sauce, but an "Alfredo" sauce. I've tried Classico, Newman's Own, & a few other brands over the years (all with parmesan &/or romano cheese), & have found them all WAY too salty for my taste.

I think you're better off making your own white/Bechamel sauce & adding your own shredded cheese to it. This way you can control the seasoning.

Yes, it is an "Alfredo" sauce, but I knew which you meant. I most often don't use added salt in cooking, especially if there are other components or herbs that bring up the flavor of a dish. It is unlikely that I will run out of parmesan or things that you should Plan Ahead for yet I do run out of milk or cream. Go figure. I suppose I should find a way to use these jars this summer or else they will just get too old. It looks kind of concentrated, so will see how it thins out on heating, and perhaps thin the sauce or alter it so it doesn't taste too salty. I appreciate your comments.

The original recipe called for cream of mushroom soup but I didn't have it and I was looking for something quick to toss together. The amount of salt in the sauce worked good for me since the tots are not salted and the beef is not salted.

A homemade sauce would no doubt kick it up a notch though. I will probably make it that way next time if I have more time.

Back
Top Bottom