"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Do a search for Keema Chatamari with Momo Achar. It is on my bucket list. It is also called Napali pizza.

BTW, could you please post some of your fav Recipes?

Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I occasionally make a Greek influenced ground beef and macaroni dish (pastitsada, but I don't think this is anywhere near authentic). Saute a pound of ground beef and two thinly sliced onions in olive oil until the beef is browned. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a couple of large pinches of cayenne and ground cloves, saute a few more minutes. Add a small can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce, a healthy splash of red wine, and a couple of cut up tomatoes, simmer a few more minutes. Toss with macaroni (or your choice of pasta).
As a vegetarian, I doubt he will be able to make this dish. It has hamburger in it.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a vegetarian, I doubt he will be able to make this dish. It has hamburger in it.
Addie, this whole thread is about recipes in which he can use a vegetarian substitute for ground beef. Pastitsio is a great idea.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
Head Chef

I got one.
Season the crumbles with salt and smoke flavoring.
Make german potato salad subbing the crumbles for the bacon. I'd guess you'd have to add quite a bit more oil since the crumble probably don't have any to give.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Addie, this whole thread is about recipes in which he can use a vegetarian substitute for ground beef. Pastitsio is a great idea.
Yes, I know. But the recipe listed by tenspeed called for one pound of ground beef.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yes, I know. But the recipe listed by tenspeed called for one pound of ground beef.
So Larry would replace that with one pound of Morning Star Crumblers. Just like he would replace ground beef with Morning Star Crumblers in tacos, etc.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Moussaka, which is kind of like a Greek version of lasagna. Eggplant is used instead of pasta, and it's a different collection of seasonings. To me, it's the ground lamb that gives it a distinct flavor, but that's obviously not an option for you.

You can also try dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves (mini stuffed cabbage). It's a bit labor intensive, but the grape leaves have a distinct flavor. They're generally served as an appetizer.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Moussaka, which is kind of like a Greek version of lasagna. Eggplant is used instead of pasta, and it's a different collection of seasonings. To me, it's the ground lamb that gives it a distinct flavor, but that's obviously not an option for you.

You can also try dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves (mini stuffed cabbage). It's a bit labor intensive, but the grape leaves have a distinct flavor. They're generally served as an appetizer.
I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #19
Head Chef

Great Ideas guys and gals , keep them coming.
And yes, the crumbles would just replace the ground beef.
Sure , its not going to be exactly the same, but they can be used interchangeably ( to some extent) with a little creativity. Sure , there will be a few flops, but hey, thats part of the fun, learning from your mistakes.
Since Im a vegetarian, i often come to roadblocks as to what I can do with what Ive got. Therefore, Im reaching out to the meat eating community, to help me find my way

Larry
Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
For those who don't like eggplant, I've read suggestions to peel about half of the skin off the eggplant, as that's where a lot of the flavor is. Never tried it, as it wouldn't be eggplant without that taste. You would also lose some of the nutritional value.

Tags
beef, ground beef, recipe, recipes

Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions Ok, so here's the catch. As some of you know Im a vegetarian. I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef. This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***) This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me. Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions. Chili Tacos/ taco salad "Beef" burritos "meat" sauce Stuffed Cabbage Stuffed Peppers Stuffed Tomatoes Stuffed Eggplant Sloppy Joe Lasagna Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it) There are probably others that have slipped my mind. So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it. All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines. Larry 3 stars 1 reviews