"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
For those who don't like eggplant, I've read suggestions to peel about half of the skin off the eggplant, as that's where a lot of the flavor is. Never tried it, as it wouldn't be eggplant without that taste. You would also lose some of the nutritional value.
It's more the texture I don't like. And other than fiber, there's not much nutritional value in eggplant.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's more the texture I don't like. And other than fiber, there's not much nutritional value in eggplant.
There are quite a few sources that don't agree with you. Here's one.

The Nutritional Benefits of Eggplant | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 01-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

That article talks about antioxidants in eggplant. It doesn't say whether it's a good or significant source for them, or whether they survive the trip through stomach acids and bile to be absorbed into the blood. The research it talks about is probably basic research, not clinical, and isn't intended to be taken as nutritional advice.

The USDA says eggplant is not a significant source of vitamins or minerals, so I'm going to go with that.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I use hamburger in this recipe, but I think you can sub for it with the crumbles.

I just take a box of chicken-flavored Rice-a-Roni and when I pour in the water, I also throw in a pound of cooked hamburger, along with some garlic, onion powder, a little basil, and some parsley flakes, plus some salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. It actually comes out pretty good.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Zucchini boats. Mexican, Italian, Greek flavors

Stuffed acorn squash, ditto or make with Thanksgiving stuffing with apple added.

Biscuits and gravy. I didn't see Morningstar sausage crumbles, just breakfast sausage. Even when I buy bulk sausage, I spiff it up with more sage, a few pinches cayenne and then some Not all --- thyme, marjoram, savory, whatever herbs you like and depending on, maybe a splash maple syrup.

Breakfast strata. Ditto the sausage flavors. Either with hashbrown or bread cubes base. I like this for dinner more than breakfast.

I have had meatless dolmades, rice and ?. so skip the crumbles if you prefer.

Sweet and sour meatballs. If you get meatballs perfected, standard Am- Chinese take out. Add bell pepper chunks, perfect tomato chunks, pineapple. Serve over rice.

Stacked taco enchiladas aka Mexican lasagna. When life's too busy to roll enchiladas. When our son was little, he thought he invented this dish.

Tater tot hot dish. Kick it up a notch w/ a jalapeno béchamel sauce instead of cream mushroom soup, a few shakes tabasco, pepper jack cheese, shrooms, red bells, corn + any preferred veggies.

A can of Rotel, a block of Velveeta and some Crumbles. Melt a few chunks cheese at a time, stirring before adding more. The crumbles add needed texture. Serve w/ tortilla chips and a bowl of guac. Great super bowl/ football snacks.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
There are quite a few sources that don't agree with you. Here's one.

The Nutritional Benefits of Eggplant | LIVESTRONG.COM
My digestive tract cannot digest the skin of veggies. Only that of a baked potato. In order to continue feeling good after I eat a meal, I am willing to give up the benefits of eating the skin on eggplant. I get enough of the taste of that veggie sans the peeling. Eggplant Parm is my favorite dish for that vegetable. But I have learned to not order it at a restaurant. In the rush to prepare a large amount for the day's menu, they leave the skin on. A PITA to try and remove it. Not worth the effort to me. At home I peel every last piece of skin. I am quite happy with whatever taste is left, and don't even notice the loss of the nutrients.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My digestive tract cannot digest the skin of veggies. Only that of a baked potato. In order to continue feeling good after I eat a meal, I am willing to give up the benefits of eating the skin on eggplant. I get enough of the taste of that veggie sans the peeling. Eggplant Parm is my favorite dish for that vegetable. But I have learned to not order it at a restaurant. In the rush to prepare a large amount for the day's menu, they leave the skin on. A PITA to try and remove it. Not worth the effort to me. At home I peel every last piece of skin. I am quite happy with whatever taste is left, and don't even notice the loss of the nutrients.
There is minimal loss of nutrients, Addie. You'll lose some of the fiber, that's all.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
There is minimal loss of nutrients, Addie. You'll lose some of the fiber, that's all.
Thank you. I love the taste. My daughter, Pirate and myself love it dipped in egg and then quickly fry it. The problem is that we have to do two or three eggplants. Each of us! Because we eat it as we are making it. We all slice it into round pieces, not the long way. Slices fit into the egg wash better. Sautéed in olive oil and then made into Eggplant Parm, is to die for. That is if we can stop eating the slices as fast as we cook them. One time I asked Pirate to do the frying, thinking it would be safe and make it to the Parm stage. As they say, "it was the thought that counts."
Old 01-17-2016, 04:08 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

You've been a vegetarian for years. You have to have some great recioes using eggplant. I love eggplant. I have been smoking it lately. Please share your favs.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:10 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Then you must not like mushrooms. Eggplant has the same texture if you cook it right.

Tags
beef, ground beef, recipe, recipes

Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions Ok, so here's the catch. As some of you know Im a vegetarian. I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef. This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***) This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me. Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions. Chili Tacos/ taco salad "Beef" burritos "meat" sauce Stuffed Cabbage Stuffed Peppers Stuffed Tomatoes Stuffed Eggplant Sloppy Joe Lasagna Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it) There are probably others that have slipped my mind. So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it. All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines. Larry 3 stars 1 reviews