"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #41
Master Chef

My standard go to seasoning is salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #42
Head Chef

Ohhh, I forgot this one Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!! | Roadfood.com Discussion Board . It's kind of like a sloppy joe but not as tomatoey.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like to use my taco meat mixture for things other than just tacos and burritos, like:

Taco rice
Taco Mac & Cheese
Nachos
Chili

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Ohhh, I forgot this one Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!! | Roadfood.com Discussion Board . It's kind of like a sloppy joe but not as tomatoey.
Except for the garlic, sugar, and relish, that's pretty much what I grew thinking of as BBQ beef or sloppy joes.

I still make a slight variation of my Mom's version. She used ground beef, chopped onion, vinegar, ketchup, a dash of yellow mustard. It was one of my favorite meals growing up.

I usually add to hers whatever store bought BBQ sauce I have on hand in about equal ratio to the ketchup, then simmer long enough to reduce some of the liquid so it's not overly sloppy. If the BBQ sauce I have isn't spicy hot, I will also add pepper flakes or hot sauce to add zip to it. The other day I had some Famous Dave's Devil Spit, so that added some heat, and some KC Masterpiece added with the Spit (the Spit alone is a bit too much heat). I also had some chopped green bell pepper so I tossed that in with the onion. Some chopped celery works with it too. As long as you don't add anything too weird, it all works out pretty well. I add extra veggie stuff so I can fool myself into believing that it's healthier than Mom's version was.

I don't have any quantities because I've never measured anything - just 3 squirts of this and a blop of that. I never use any tomatoes or tomato sauce, although the tomatoes might work if well drained. Otherwise I'd simmer longer to cook off the excess water.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
I'm not a fan of eggplant either. Stirling dislikes it and dislikes mushrooms, but can tolerate some on occasion. When I make moussaka, I chop up the eggplant after I fry it. That way I never get big chunk of eggplant in my mouth at once. Works great for us.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
When i was a kid, I remember eating a Jamaican Meat pie. Kind of half circle shaped, orangish flaky dough filled with a very spicy ground meat.

Anyone know what Im talking about, and if so, anyone have a suggested recipe ?
Google 'Forfar Bridies'. I make them often.
The chances of these delicious 'bridies' originating from the Scottish coal mines and the basic recipe getting to Jamaica are pretty much 100%. I use ground chuck, sweet onions and some Keen's mustard powder and puff pastry.
For a 'potluck' I make a few dozen bite size ones. Adding some Jamaican flavors would be easy to do.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
According to Wikipedia, Jamaican patties are based on Cornish pasties, with Indian spices thrown in. But, I think the Forfar bridies sounds at least as plausible, since I have never seen potato in Jamaican patties and apparently Forfar bridies don't have potatoes either. There seems to be a bit of samosa influence too.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #48
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Click image for larger version

Name:	soboro-beef.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	24225
[photo courtesy of Bon Appetit]

Soboro Beef Recipe - Bon Appétit

This is as good as the korean beef bowl!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #49
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I was reading this blog post and thought of this thread.
Mexican Cornbread – What's for Dinner Moms?
I "pinned" this and I'm def making this recipe with some ground beef or HEH!
what about trying a veg version with this
Article | Trader Joe's
Soy Chorizo instead of the soy ground beef?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

My mom makes a delicious hamburger macaroni soup!

L.R. Knost
lynnkath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, ground beef, recipe, recipes

Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions Ok, so here's the catch. As some of you know Im a vegetarian. I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef. This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***) This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me. Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions. Chili Tacos/ taco salad "Beef" burritos "meat" sauce Stuffed Cabbage Stuffed Peppers Stuffed Tomatoes Stuffed Eggplant Sloppy Joe Lasagna Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it) There are probably others that have slipped my mind. So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it. All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines. Larry 3 stars 1 reviews