Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My standard go to seasoning is salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I like to use my taco meat mixture for things other than just tacos and burritos, like:

Taco rice
Taco Mac & Cheese
Nachos
Chili

Ohhh, I forgot this one Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!! | Roadfood.com Discussion Board . It's kind of like a sloppy joe but not as tomatoey.

Except for the garlic, sugar, and relish, that's pretty much what I grew thinking of as BBQ beef or sloppy joes.

I still make a slight variation of my Mom's version. She used ground beef, chopped onion, vinegar, ketchup, a dash of yellow mustard. It was one of my favorite meals growing up.

I usually add to hers whatever store bought BBQ sauce I have on hand in about equal ratio to the ketchup, then simmer long enough to reduce some of the liquid so it's not overly sloppy. If the BBQ sauce I have isn't spicy hot, I will also add pepper flakes or hot sauce to add zip to it. The other day I had some Famous Dave's Devil Spit, so that added some heat, and some KC Masterpiece added with the Spit (the Spit alone is a bit too much heat). I also had some chopped green bell pepper so I tossed that in with the onion. Some chopped celery works with it too. As long as you don't add anything too weird, it all works out pretty well. I add extra veggie stuff so I can fool myself into believing that it's healthier than Mom's version was.

I don't have any quantities because I've never measured anything - just 3 squirts of this and a blop of that. I never use any tomatoes or tomato sauce, although the tomatoes might work if well drained. Otherwise I'd simmer longer to cook off the excess water.

I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades :yum: They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
I'm not a fan of eggplant either. Stirling dislikes it and dislikes mushrooms, but can tolerate some on occasion. When I make moussaka, I chop up the eggplant after I fry it. That way I never get big chunk of eggplant in my mouth at once. Works great for us.

When i was a kid, I remember eating a Jamaican Meat pie. Kind of half circle shaped, orangish flaky dough filled with a very spicy ground meat.

Anyone know what Im talking about, and if so, anyone have a suggested recipe ?
Google 'Forfar Bridies'. I make them often.
The chances of these delicious 'bridies' originating from the Scottish coal mines and the basic recipe getting to Jamaica are pretty much 100%. I use ground chuck, sweet onions and some Keen's mustard powder and puff pastry.
For a 'potluck' I make a few dozen bite size ones. Adding some Jamaican flavors would be easy to do.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, Jamaican patties are based on Cornish pasties, with Indian spices thrown in. But, I think the Forfar bridies sounds at least as plausible, since I have never seen potato in Jamaican patties and apparently Forfar bridies don't have potatoes either. There seems to be a bit of samosa influence too.

Google 'Forfar Bridies'. I make them often.
The chances of these delicious 'bridies' originating from the Scottish coal mines and the basic recipe getting to Jamaica are pretty much 100%. I use ground chuck, sweet onions and some Keen's mustard powder and puff pastry.
For a 'potluck' I make a few dozen bite size ones. Adding some Jamaican flavors would be easy to do.

Ah yes... I love a good Forfar Bridie although I've never made one myself.
When I travel south, I usually stop in Forfar where there is a butcher who makes most excellent ones. Your recipe sounds pretty good, though there are quite a number of variations eg. minced lamb instead of beef.

Back
Top Bottom