"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Google 'Forfar Bridies'. I make them often.
The chances of these delicious 'bridies' originating from the Scottish coal mines and the basic recipe getting to Jamaica are pretty much 100%. I use ground chuck, sweet onions and some Keen's mustard powder and puff pastry.
For a 'potluck' I make a few dozen bite size ones. Adding some Jamaican flavors would be easy to do.
Ah yes... I love a good Forfar Bridie although I've never made one myself.
When I travel south, I usually stop in Forfar where there is a butcher who makes most excellent ones. Your recipe sounds pretty good, though there are quite a number of variations eg. minced lamb instead of beef.

Tags
beef, ground beef, recipe, recipes

Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions Ok, so here's the catch. As some of you know Im a vegetarian. I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef. This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***) This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me. Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions. Chili Tacos/ taco salad "Beef" burritos "meat" sauce Stuffed Cabbage Stuffed Peppers Stuffed Tomatoes Stuffed Eggplant Sloppy Joe Lasagna Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it) There are probably others that have slipped my mind. So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it. All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines. Larry 3 stars 1 reviews