Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who don't like eggplant, I've read suggestions to peel about half of the skin off the eggplant, as that's where a lot of the flavor is. Never tried it, as it wouldn't be eggplant without that taste. You would also lose some of the nutritional value.

It's more the texture I don't like. And other than fiber, there's not much nutritional value in eggplant.

That article talks about antioxidants in eggplant. It doesn't say whether it's a good or significant source for them, or whether they survive the trip through stomach acids and bile to be absorbed into the blood. The research it talks about is probably basic research, not clinical, and isn't intended to be taken as nutritional advice.

The USDA says eggplant is not a significant source of vitamins or minerals, so I'm going to go with that.

Last edited:
I use hamburger in this recipe, but I think you can sub for it with the crumbles.

I just take a box of chicken-flavored Rice-a-Roni and when I pour in the water, I also throw in a pound of cooked hamburger, along with some garlic, onion powder, a little basil, and some parsley flakes, plus some salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. It actually comes out pretty good.

Zucchini boats. Mexican, Italian, Greek flavors

Stuffed acorn squash, ditto or make with Thanksgiving stuffing with apple added.

Biscuits and gravy. I didn't see Morningstar sausage crumbles, just breakfast sausage. Even when I buy bulk sausage, I spiff it up with more sage, a few pinches cayenne and then some Not all --- thyme, marjoram, savory, whatever herbs you like and depending on, maybe a splash maple syrup.

Breakfast strata. Ditto the sausage flavors. Either with hashbrown or bread cubes base. I like this for dinner more than breakfast.

I have had meatless dolmades, rice and ?. so skip the crumbles if you prefer.

Sweet and sour meatballs. If you get meatballs perfected, standard Am- Chinese take out. Add bell pepper chunks, perfect tomato chunks, pineapple. Serve over rice.

Stacked taco enchiladas aka Mexican lasagna. When life's too busy to roll enchiladas. When our son was little, he thought he invented this dish.

Tater tot hot dish. Kick it up a notch w/ a jalapeno béchamel sauce instead of cream mushroom soup, a few shakes tabasco, pepper jack cheese, shrooms, red bells, corn + any preferred veggies.

A can of Rotel, a block of Velveeta and some Crumbles. Melt a few chunks cheese at a time, stirring before adding more. The crumbles add needed texture. Serve w/ tortilla chips and a bowl of guac. Great super bowl/ football snacks.

There are quite a few sources that don't agree with you. Here's one.

The Nutritional Benefits of Eggplant | LIVESTRONG.COM

My digestive tract cannot digest the skin of veggies. Only that of a baked potato. In order to continue feeling good after I eat a meal, I am willing to give up the benefits of eating the skin on eggplant. I get enough of the taste of that veggie sans the peeling. Eggplant Parm is my favorite dish for that vegetable. But I have learned to not order it at a restaurant. In the rush to prepare a large amount for the day's menu, they leave the skin on. A PITA to try and remove it. Not worth the effort to me. At home I peel every last piece of skin. I am quite happy with whatever taste is left, and don't even notice the loss of the nutrients. :angel:

My digestive tract cannot digest the skin of veggies. Only that of a baked potato. In order to continue feeling good after I eat a meal, I am willing to give up the benefits of eating the skin on eggplant. I get enough of the taste of that veggie sans the peeling. Eggplant Parm is my favorite dish for that vegetable. But I have learned to not order it at a restaurant. In the rush to prepare a large amount for the day's menu, they leave the skin on. A PITA to try and remove it. Not worth the effort to me. At home I peel every last piece of skin. I am quite happy with whatever taste is left, and don't even notice the loss of the nutrients. :angel:

There is minimal loss of nutrients, Addie. You'll lose some of the fiber, that's all.

There is minimal loss of nutrients, Addie. You'll lose some of the fiber, that's all.

Thank you. I love the taste. My daughter, Pirate and myself love it dipped in egg and then quickly fry it. The problem is that we have to do two or three eggplants. Each of us! Because we eat it as we are making it. We all slice it into round pieces, not the long way. Slices fit into the egg wash better. Sautéed in olive oil and then made into Eggplant Parm, is to die for. That is if we can stop eating the slices as fast as we cook them. One time I asked Pirate to do the frying, thinking it would be safe and make it to the Parm stage. As they say, "it was the thought that counts." :angel:

You've been a vegetarian for years. You have to have some great recioes using eggplant. I love eggplant. I have been smoking it lately. Please share your favs.

I didn't see spaghetti listed. With the stuff mixed in with pasta sauce like a meat sauce. But I am sure you tried that.

Maybe try it with a white sauce -- olive oil, butter, garlic, crushed red pepper with the crumble stuff mixed in. Served on top of pasta.

Also, fried wontons filled with the stuff. My mom made fried wontons once and they were awesome. I still remember how great they were 37 years later. :) My brother had brought home the recipe from school. It was part of a project involving other cultures (China).

When i was a kid, I remember eating a Jamaican Meat pie. Kind of half circle shaped, orangish flaky dough filled with a very spicy ground meat.

Anyone know what Im talking about, and if so, anyone have a suggested recipe ?

Spanakopita
Pizza topping
Loose "Meat" Sandwiches
Frito Pie (with that veggie Chili that Dawg brought up)
7 Layer Dip with homemade chips
Mexican Lasagna or Pizza using tortillas
"Meaty" Manicotti
Cheesy-"meaty" Stuffed Shells (those real big ones)
did anyone say Enchiladas yet?
"meat" filled raviollis
Loaded Baked Potatoes (using that wonderful "taco meat" or chili)
Loose "meat" Gyro
Taco Salad
Shawarma seasoned "meat" in a pita with a nice sauce and loads of veggies
Chili Mac n Cheese
ooohhhh, cheeseburger soup, mmm
I LOVE this recipe:
Korean Beef Bowl - Damn Delicious

I'll stop now...

Spanakopita
Pizza topping
Loose "Meat" Sandwiches
Frito Pie (with that veggie Chili that Dawg brought up)
7 Layer Dip with homemade chips
Mexican Lasagna or Pizza using tortillas
"Meaty" Manicotti
Cheesy-"meaty" Stuffed Shells (those real big ones)
did anyone say Enchiladas yet?
"meat" filled raviollis
Loaded Baked Potatoes (using that wonderful "taco meat" or chili)
Loose "meat" Gyro
Taco Salad
Shawarma seasoned "meat" in a pita with a nice sauce and loads of veggies
Chili Mac n Cheese
ooohhhh, cheeseburger soup, mmm
I LOVE this recipe:
Korean Beef Bowl - Damn Delicious

I'll stop now...

Its actually kinda funny, I came across the Same Korean-beef -bowl recipe from the same site a few days ago. Glad to see it got the thumbs up. Its on my list of recipes to try

Back from my kindergarten days, comes the recipe that I still love. Cooked ground meat. Nothing fancy just cooked with seasoning. Cooked elborony, mix all together. Serve. I know it doesn't sound in anyway exciting, it is a poor's man food in the end, but even my kids like it.

Back from my kindergarten days, comes the recipe that I still love. Cooked ground meat. Nothing fancy just cooked with seasoning. Cooked elborony, mix all together. Serve. I know it doesn't sound in anyway exciting, it is a poor's man food in the end, but even my kids like it.

Did they serve it in the cafeteria? I was in kindergarten waaaayyyyy back in 1978. I remember I was an early bird and got out at noon or one. Sometimes I was given a quarter by my mom to eat in the cafeteria. I guess if she had errands to run or something and couldn't pick me up at the normal time. It was a whopping quarter for a complete lunch with an entree, veggies or a salad, a starch, bread, and a milk. And this was before the modern day BS of schools serving junk food. Breakfast was a whopping 15 cents.

What kind of seasoning do you use in it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom