Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ok, so here's the catch.
As some of you know Im a vegetarian.
I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef.
This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***)

This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me.

Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions.

Chili
Tacos/ taco salad
"Beef" burritos
"meat" sauce
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuffed Eggplant
Sloppy Joe
Lasagna
Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it)

There are probably others that have slipped my mind.

So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it.

All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines.

Larry

Drat. When we were in Mexico recently, there's a guy and his wife who cook wonderful food and deliver only on Sundays. He ran out of his exquisite filets, but suggested we try his vegetarian chili. It was truly some of the best I've ever had. I'll see if he'll cough up his recipe. I'll pm you the name of his business. Super nice guy.

How about a fake beef Stroganoff.

Milk gravy or the old cream of mushroom soup, sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, crumbles, a shot of Worcestershire sauce, a few frozen peas or not, serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

When we were kids this was a day before payday meal known to us as barf! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I occasionally make a Greek influenced ground beef and macaroni dish (pastitsada, but I don't think this is anywhere near authentic). Saute a pound of ground beef and two thinly sliced onions in olive oil until the beef is browned. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a couple of large pinches of cayenne and ground cloves, saute a few more minutes. Add a small can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce, a healthy splash of red wine, and a couple of cut up tomatoes, simmer a few more minutes. Toss with macaroni (or your choice of pasta).

I think Cream It! everybody likes the whole SOS on Toast..

Also.. Asian Lettuce Wraps..

It's all about the suace and veggies anyhow..and sides.

and children (young and older) love making their own wraps and eating with fingures!

Eric

Add whichever sausage seasinings you like and serve it up as a breakfast hash wuth potatoes and topped with a fried egg. I would do the same annd put it on as a topping for vegetarian pizza. Use it for fillings for egg rolls/springrolls/wontons/dumplings. The possibilities are endless....did I see cottage pie on the List?

Ok, so here's the catch.
As some of you know Im a vegetarian.
I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef.
This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***)

This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me.

Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions.

Chili
Tacos/ taco salad
"Beef" burritos
"meat" sauce
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuffed Eggplant
Sloppy Joe
Lasagna
Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it)

There are probably others that have slipped my mind.

So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it.

All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines.

Larry

Substitute the meat with
the 'Crumblers.
Shan Style Noodle
Ingredients:

rice noodles soaked in hot water until el dente
3 fresh tomatoes
ground turkey or pork or chicken (I use turkey)
1 sweet onion
3 cloves garlic
1 t turmeric
1 T paprika
pinch Kosher salt/black pepper

3T coconut oil but you can use any cooking oil.
1/2 t of peanut butter
juice of half a lime
1 t of fish sauce
1 t sugar
S&P
hot water at hand
BTB turkey base

The method:
Food process the fresh tomatoes and sieve to remove the bitter seeds and skins. Set aside.
In a medium hot fry pan add half the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is translucent then add the sliced garlic. Fry gently for a few more minutes.
Set the onion and garlic aside. Add a bit more oil and gently fry the ground turkey. When it’s cooked add the onion and garlic back in. You’ll probably need to cut up the ground turkey into little pieces in the pan as the turkey is frying. Add the tomatoes and turmeric and paprika and peanut butter and fish sauce and sugar and enough hot water to be able to simmer the mixture for an hour over low heat. This is the ‘curry’. Let the curry paste reduce. Adjust with some S&P to your taste.
You’re looking for a rather thick curry paste consistency. But not too thick.

For the turkey broth follow the instructions on the BTB label to make a quart. You want a nice clean flavour so don’t add anything to it. All the other ingredients bring enough flavours to the dish.
You want the broth to be REALLY hot to warm up some of the other ingredients. Almost boiling.

Have the rice noodles soaked in hot water to ‘el dente’ and drained.

Serve in your special asian soup bowls.
First put in some rice noodles then a helping of the turkey curry paste on top then pour in just enough hot turkey broth to cover the noodles. You don’t want all the components of the dish floating in broth.
Garnish with fine chopped spring onion or cilantro.

Last edited:
How about cottage pie? Use the crumbles in place of the ground beef, add your veggies and veggie broth, top with mashed taters.

sub it into
fried rice
egg rolls
sauerkraut and 'beef' egg rolls
'sloppy joes' ETA: ah you said that one. Call it a 'sloppy jeff' :)

Last edited:
Do a search for Keema Chatamari with Momo Achar. It is on my bucket list. It is also called Napali pizza.

BTW, could you please post some of your fav Recipes?

Last edited:
I occasionally make a Greek influenced ground beef and macaroni dish (pastitsada, but I don't think this is anywhere near authentic). Saute a pound of ground beef and two thinly sliced onions in olive oil until the beef is browned. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a couple of large pinches of cayenne and ground cloves, saute a few more minutes. Add a small can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce, a healthy splash of red wine, and a couple of cut up tomatoes, simmer a few more minutes. Toss with macaroni (or your choice of pasta).

As a vegetarian, I doubt he will be able to make this dish. It has hamburger in it. :angel:

I got one. :yum:
Season the crumbles with salt and smoke flavoring.
Make german potato salad subbing the crumbles for the bacon. I'd guess you'd have to add quite a bit more oil since the crumble probably don't have any to give.

Moussaka, which is kind of like a Greek version of lasagna. Eggplant is used instead of pasta, and it's a different collection of seasonings. To me, it's the ground lamb that gives it a distinct flavor, but that's obviously not an option for you.

You can also try dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves (mini stuffed cabbage). It's a bit labor intensive, but the grape leaves have a distinct flavor. They're generally served as an appetizer.

Moussaka, which is kind of like a Greek version of lasagna. Eggplant is used instead of pasta, and it's a different collection of seasonings. To me, it's the ground lamb that gives it a distinct flavor, but that's obviously not an option for you.

You can also try dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves (mini stuffed cabbage). It's a bit labor intensive, but the grape leaves have a distinct flavor. They're generally served as an appetizer.

I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades :yum: They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.

Last edited:
Great Ideas guys and gals , keep them coming.
And yes, the crumbles would just replace the ground beef.
Sure , its not going to be exactly the same, but they can be used interchangeably ( to some extent) with a little creativity. Sure , there will be a few flops, but hey, thats part of the fun, learning from your mistakes.
Since Im a vegetarian, i often come to roadblocks as to what I can do with what Ive got. Therefore, Im reaching out to the meat eating community, to help me find my way :)

Larry

I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades :yum: They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
For those who don't like eggplant, I've read suggestions to peel about half of the skin off the eggplant, as that's where a lot of the flavor is. Never tried it, as it wouldn't be eggplant without that taste. You would also lose some of the nutritional value.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom