"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
I thought brisket would be good ground beef no never happen it was hard to chew even after I had ground it twice. Stick to chuck and try for a 80/20 grind
Yes! ....and I personally would not spend the money for "Prime" grade chuck for grinding...."Choice" will do nicely.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
Head Chef

Prime grade beef is not available to supermarkets and meat markets. It is reserved for fine dining restaurants.

Last night's news gave us another reason to grind our own beef and this is one of the major reasons I do. There is yet another recall of ground beef due to e-coli. It never ends.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I to grind my own beef for the reason that DramaQueen says, quality control. Our major supermarkets tend to use a lot of yearling beef which might be reasonably tender but has little flavour so I'm wondering if that may be the problem
Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Prime grade beef is not available to supermarkets and meat markets. It is reserved for fine dining restaurants.

Last night's news gave us another reason to grind our own beef and this is one of the major reasons I do. There is yet another recall of ground beef due to e-coli. It never ends.
That's not exactly true. Gelson's and Bristol Farms here in southern California both carry prime grade beef.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Head Chef

You can buy prime grade beef online also.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
That's not exactly true. Gelson's and Bristol Farms here in southern California both carry prime grade beef.
I called Bristol Farms and found that you were right on, although Prime grade is not widely available except from specialty markets. Highly special I would assume since they quoted me a price of $32.00 per pound for Porterhouse steak. Maybe that's why it's not so avialable elsewhere. So when you all go to a restuarant and you say their prices are way too high, now you know why. You want quality, you have to pay for it.

Me? I'm happy with choice grade at 12.00 per lb.

Now here's my peeve: Some markets lable their beef "choice" and sell it for 6 or 7 dollars per lb. If you push it and pin them down they admit that it is actually "select" quality. This happened to me recently at a national chain and it's hard to trust the industry when this happens. You don't know what the heck you're buying.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Executive Chef

try to find a "free range" farm. grass fed beef is so much more flavorful than produced corn fed. (I'm lucky, I got one five miles form where I work!) Or find a store that hangs some of their own meat for aging. We have an Italian market in town that does that. Much more taste in their meat.

15 to 20 % fat is right for tenderness, taste, and juiciness.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Head Chef

If I remember correctly, selling USDA select beef as USDA choice is a violation of the law. Beef is graded by Government graders, stamped with that blue label. There are other arbitrary labels to be wary of, most notably, Angus, or a proprietary label, Edwards select, for example or, for that matter Kobe. I was in a restaurant last week that listed their top steak as american Kobe. IMO these are intended to mislead, and have no official standard. Also, the difference between low prime and high choice, and low choice and high select is a judgement call on the part of the grader. Having at least a basic knowledge of grading standards and cuts is a worthwhile skill.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
If I remember correctly, selling USDA select beef as USDA choice is a violation of the law. Beef is graded by Government graders, stamped with that blue label. There are other arbitrary labels to be wary of, most notably, Angus, or a proprietary label, Edwards select, for example or, for that matter Kobe. I was in a restaurant last week that listed their top steak as american Kobe. IMO these are intended to mislead, and have no official standard. Also, the difference between low prime and high choice, and low choice and high select is a judgement call on the part of the grader. Having at least a basic knowledge of grading standards and cuts is a worthwhile skill.
Right you are BigJim. There's a lot of word play out there.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I wouldn't spend extra to get prime meat for grinding into hamburger. Select grade should be as good ground into hamburg as choice or prime. For the most part, the factors that determine meat grades go out the window when you grind it up. You can't determine the grade of meat usd to make hamburg if you didn't see the original piece(s) used.

If you grind aged meats rather than non-aged, there will be a flavor difference. I would focus on flavoring the hamburg after you grind it rather than searching for a special piece of meat that will taste significantly better than the rest.

Tags
None