"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Ground beef: something different

I've been very unhappy with the taste of the ground beef I've been making. I use chuck and sirloin but there doesn't seem to be much flavor. Maybe my tastebuds don't work as well as they used to. I've been thinking of grinding skirt steak and maybe flap meat to see if they can give me that beefy flavor. I don't like to add much to ground beef other than salt and pepper. Has anyone tried either of these cuts for burgers? I'm also going to try brisket (point cut).

Sedagive.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Is your grind very lean? Keep in mind that fat is a major flavor contributor to the taste of a burger.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't do my own grinding, be everyone here, like Andy, emphasizes the fat for taste and that with too little you loose a lot of the flavor. I know with what I pick up at the butchers I prefer at least 20%, 15% or less is a little too lean for me but I can still live with 15%.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Is your grind very lean? Keep in mind that fat is a major flavor contributor to the taste of a burger.
I always have at least 20% fat, so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe go up to 25%?
Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Executive Chef

It is also worth checking the source of your meat - I find supermarket meat (often underhung) is much less flavourful, then I get from the local farm shop. The prices are even comparable. In fact, he sells his offcut as ground meat at a very cheap price & the flavour is great.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

SEDAGIVE: (I love that screen name) I have a KitchenAid stand mixer with the meat grinding attachment. I grind my own pork and beef and I always use chuck roast for grinding. Try buying chuck from a meat market instead of a grocery or discount store. Very often the discounters use "Select" grade instead of "Choice." The fat really does make a difference too.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
I always have at least 20% fat, so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe go up to 25%?

I don't think you have to go to 25%. I would recommend between 15% and 20%. As DQ said, chuck is a flavorful cut with good fat %age to grind.

Are you using a meat grinder or a food processor? Is the grind fine enough compared to store ground?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

I thought brisket would be good ground beef no never happen it was hard to chew even after I had ground it twice. Stick to chuck and try for a 80/20 grind
Old 08-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't think you have to go to 25%. I would recommend between 15% and 20%. As DQ said, chuck is a flavorful cut with good fat %age to grind.

Are you using a meat grinder or a food processor? Is the grind fine enough compared to store ground?
A meat grinder, and I run it through twice. It comes out looking just like the ground beef in the photos that Ask-A-Butcher posted in his thread on grinding beef. I think I'm going to try going to a meat market instead of the grocery store and see if that makes a difference. I'm also thinking of trying prime grade chuck to see if that helps.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Brown it with some chopped onions, some minced garlic, add ground ancho pepper, ground New Mexican pepper or pasilla pepper, a hint of ground chipotle pepper, paprika, cumin, some beef bouillon or beef stock ~ cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Toss it over some warm corn tortillas topped with a blend of your favorite cheeses, repeat the process until all meat is used ~ you have an awsome enchilada lasagna! Enjoy! You can also use ground beef concoction in tacos, tamales, chimichangas, burritos, Mexican albondigas (meatballs), etc.

Tags
None