"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Head Chef

Hamburger cooked sous vide (with pics)

I finally managed to hold off the snarfing long enough to get out the camera! Here's a couple pics of tonite's burger. It was prepared sous vide at 133 degrees F for three hours. I then dried it with a paper towel and gave it a quick sear with my Iwatani torch. It then went under the oven broiler for about 45 seconds per side.

Here's a picture of it before cutting. I mixed some stone ground mustard, mayo, and horseradish with minced scallions and shallots. I topped with aged white cheddar and melted the cheese a bit with my Iwatani.

Here it is cut in half so you can see the center. As rare as it looks in the picture, it hardly bled at all. Again, sv seems to combine cooking and resting. Plus the heat is low enough that the proteins don't keratinize to the point where all the juice is squeezed out.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Yum!!

I have been craving a good hamburger the past 2 days and you have just made it worse on me. That looks awesome!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Head Chef

It's amazing how good burgers are cooked sous vide! At low temps very little moisture is lost, resulting in incredible juiciness. Cooking for several hours pasteurizes the beef eliminating the normal risks of illness you'd have consuming it medium rare. And if the phone rings or you get tied up the beef can remain in the bath for an extra hour or maybe even an hour with no loss of quality. You eat it whenever you're ready. Lastly, there's no luck involved with getting the temp absolutely perfect; you just choose the temp you prefer and the SVS does all the work. No guesswork, just perfect doneness.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Ok.. that does it.. I am coming for dinner...

Looks good Rob.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Master Chef

How about some pics of the device for this ol' hillbilly, 'cause I don't know
what sue viddie is...........
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I opened this thread thinking a sous vide burger would be a pretty stupid idea and not appealing at all. I stand very corrected. That looks great Rob!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Is there any sous vide food you would eat "as is", without the additional torching and searing?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Head Chef

Sure. Fish come out the SV ready to eat. Chicken is great without a sear, and pork can be depending on what you're used to. Almost all seafood is fine without a sear.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, something like a white meat. I can see that now. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Looks great!

Tags
recipe

Hamburger cooked sous vide (with pics) I finally managed to hold off the snarfing long enough to get out the camera! :rofl: Here's a couple pics of tonite's burger. It was prepared sous vide at 133 degrees F for three hours. I then dried it with a paper towel and gave it a quick sear with my Iwatani torch. It then went under the oven broiler for about 45 seconds per side. Here's a picture of it before cutting. I mixed some stone ground mustard, mayo, and horseradish with minced scallions and shallots. I topped with aged white cheddar and melted the cheese a bit with my Iwatani. [URL="http://img850.imageshack.us/i/svburger3.jpg/"][IMG]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3528/svburger3.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Here it is cut in half so you can see the center. As rare as it looks in the picture, it hardly bled at all. Again, sv seems to combine cooking and resting. Plus the heat is low enough that the proteins don't keratinize to the point where all the juice is squeezed out.:chef: [URL="http://img847.imageshack.us/i/svburgercut2.jpg/"][IMG]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/5913/svburgercut2.jpg[/IMG][/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews