"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Hamburger dish needs something....

Last night I had some hamburger thawed for tacos and changed my mind at the last minute, so I started cooking the burger in some EVOO with some s & p. I added some onions, carrots, paprika, a little worcestershire (sp?), some Italian seasoning, some fresh sliced mushrooms and some fresh green beans. I added more s & p as I was adding the other stuff. I didn't have any beef broth, so I shook some bullion (I know I spelled this one wrong) granules on top of everything and added some water. I let things steam/cook away with the lid on and then added some flour to thicken after a while. I put the mixture on some mashed potatos and it was pretty tasty, but it was missing something....
That flavor that adds a richness to the food that has you going back for more rather than putting it in a container for tomorrow's lunch. That flavor that pulls everything together and has you wishing you can exactly duplicate this next time.

Is there some ingredient/spice that does this? Some basic pantry item that would change this concoction from good to great? I've got half a mind to heat up the leftovers with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a little milk to see if that gives me what I think I'm missing.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Master Chef

maybe some lemon pepper or garlic would punch it up a bit.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Tomato paste!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Last night I had some hamburger thawed for tacos and changed my mind at the last minute, so I started cooking the burger in some EVOO with some s & p. I added some onions, carrots, paprika, a little worcestershire (sp?), some Italian seasoning, some fresh sliced mushrooms and some fresh green beans. I added more s & p as I was adding the other stuff. I didn't have any beef broth, so I shook some bullion (I know I spelled this one wrong) granules on top of everything and added some water. I let things steam/cook away with the lid on and then added some flour to thicken after a while. I put the mixture on some mashed potatos and it was pretty tasty, but it was missing something....
That flavor that adds a richness to the food that has you going back for more rather than putting it in a container for tomorrow's lunch. That flavor that pulls everything together and has you wishing you can exactly duplicate this next time.

Is there some ingredient/spice that does this? Some basic pantry item that would change this concoction from good to great? I've got half a mind to heat up the leftovers with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a little milk to see if that gives me what I think I'm missing.
Garlic and sour cream......
Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

oops, I also had some fresh garlic in it....

I've been meaning to get some more lemon pepper. I've only used it on fish and the stuff I had turned solid, but I see where it has more uses.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I love sour cream and always have some one hand. I started with a pound of burger, how much sour cream would you add? Towards the end?

Tomato paste.... hmmmm.....
Does it turn anything red or tomato tasting? I like tomatos and red "gravy" in their places; spagetti sauce, chili, meatball subs, but have never been a fan of anything done cacciatore (sp?) or of tomato paste on meatloaf.
Does it cook down or something where it's not really noticeable?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Master Chef

Cheese always perks things up. Mix it with your choice (I'd use Velveeta), put it in a casserole, put your mashed potatoes on top and make shepherd's pie. You might sprinkle a little grated cheese on top of the potatoes, too.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

a tiny bit of liquid smoke would have been a nice addition

or perhaps if you had pre-sauteed the celery/onion/garlic in some butter and then added it. And, maybe a couple of yellow bell peppers added to the mix?

or maybe even a splash of good red wine.

or, maybe making it more of a creamy sauce with some wondra (that good flour that makes a nice un-lumpy gravy)

As for the sour cream, it's nice to add it right at the end & just heat it a bit, for a more stroganoff-type dish.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Master Chef

You can letterally go anywhere with this. If you omit the carrots, Worcestershire Sauce, and paprika, and add sour cream, and a pinch of thyme, you have a great Storganoff. If you keep the original ingredients, add tomato sauce and paste, some basil, rosemary, oregano, and thyme, you have the makings of a very good pasta sauce. You can add cream and Pamesano Regiano and come up with a varient on the Alfredo Sauce theme.

By adding diced potatoes, you have the makins of a simple and yummy pot-pie. Add water, a bit of cabbage, celery, and butter, and you have a very good hamburger soup.

Add tomatoe sauce, brown sugar, cloves, allspice, sweet pickle relish, and maybe some yellwo mustard and your dish is transformed into sloppy joes.

Throw some tomatoe paste, tomato sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, and cottage cheese into the ingredients you already have, and you have a wonderful filling for mancotti, or pasta shells.

So you see, you really can turn the ingredients you already have into a bunch of different dishes that are all very good.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Im also thinking tomato

Tags
None