Hamburger, recommendations please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gransport3800

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for good hamburger recipes and cooking techniques. I've tried ground round, beef and sirloin, pre frozen patties and even Philly Gourmet burgers from my local grocery store, but they don't taste as good as what I can buy at a local bar or car shows that I go to. I've cooked them on my Foreman grill and even on a regular propane grill.

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
You can add almost anything to ground beef, but you need to start with good quality beef. I prefer ground chuck. True, it likely ain't the most healthful, but it makes great burgers. If your neighborhood permits it, you might try cooking your burgers over a open fire. Otherwise, I recommend charcoal over the Foreman grill or propane, but that is just my preference. You can devise a way to support a grate over the fire, such as a couple of cinder blocks and the grate from most any kind of grill.
One tip to remember: Don't press the burgers down with your spatula during cooking. Your burgers will probably cook faster but they will be dry.
Take a look here for some ideas. You are only limited by your imagination.
Burger Recipes

I had some of the best burgers I've ever eaten last Fall at an aspirin shoot. The guy in charge of the burger added seasoning salt, Worcestershire and MSG. But I really think that it being 45F outside and blowin' like the dickens, coupled with somebody else was cooking them made them taste extra special. I haven't been able to replicate them.

You can kill two birds with one author, Marcel Desaulniers. Both your burger and chocolate cravings. "The Burger Meister" and "Death by Chocolate".;)

I only use Costco hamburger and usually cook at least 12 patties at a time for the two of us. We eat two, and I freeze the rest. With this method my only goal is for a good, doesn't have to be like a fabulous $15 burger, just good. I usually reach that goal simply by wrapping the burger with sandwich wrap paper. (even the microwaved ones) Just a few seconds improves the burger. Ditto almost any other sandwich. Sandwiches like to be swaddled.

70% fat free ground chuck, preferably ground at home. Form patties, do not press too hard, just firm enough, season in both sides with the seasoning you like. Preheat the grill so it is hot then cook on both sides. Do not overcook. Use good buns, sometimes good bun can make even bad hamburger good. Add whatever you like: cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried mushrooms (my favorite), onion, sauteed onions, pickle. Well, you get the picture.

I get 1/3 pound hamburger patties from Omaha Steaks. I can fry them in a skillet, grill them on my George Foreman, toss them on the gas grill, or broil them in the oven, then I add bacon strips and jalopy pepper slices on top, melt real cheddar cheese slices on top of that to hold the bacon and peppers in place, and let it rest for 10 minutes. I put the burgers on a fresh whole grain bun with ketchup and mustard on the bottom and chipotle mayonnaise or thousand island dressing, lettuce and tomato on top. For friends I can add sliced red onion, but onions and I have a mutual non-aggression pact, so there's never any onions on mine.

Grind your own. Chuck makes great burgers.

I use salt and cayenne on mine usually. Grill em on a very hot grill...

And as Charlie pointed out, a great bun elevates a burger.

Adding some fresh parsley and finely chopped garlic is a great way to produce a tasty burger! Using freshly ground mince with some fat content definitely produces the best results.
As CharlieD says don't press the burger down when its cooking, best to press it down fairly flat before you put it on to cook, that way it will cook through and stay moist.

About once a month I bring my Weber (Genesis) gas grill to work and cook lunch for my coworkers. My burgers are extremely popular, so I have some credibility on this topic.

1) Gas grills with "flavorizer" bars (like Weber) are better for cooking burgers than charcoal grills. I think it's because the water vapor given off when burning gas helps keep the burger juicy. Let me know if you want a more detailed (technical) explanation of the difference between charcoal and gas grilling.

2) I use 80% ground beef. Leaner ground beef doesn't have enough fat for a good, juicy burger.

3) The only seasoning I use is a slight dusting of Lawry's Seasoned Salt followed by a heavier amount of course ground black pepper.

4) Muenster is the best cheese to use for cheeseburgers. When I cook burgers for a crowd, the most frequent question I get is "What kind of cheese do you use?" This may be the most important point.

5) Use a premium grade bun. I like Brownberry brand (which may be regional) onion buns and whole wheat buns.

6) If cooking burgers in a skillet, put a couple onion slices in with the burgers and make sure the onion slices are cooked in the grease given off by the burgers. Onions cooked in hamburger fat are amazing!

My favorite burger is a grilled Muenster cheeseburger on a premium bun topped only with mayo and a tomato slice; simple but very good. I hope this helps.

Whether it is ground chuck or top sirloin I always add 1/8-1/4 cup of milk to ground beef. The enzymes in the milk helps tenderize the meat and keep it juicy. I also make a slight indention in the middle top of the raw burger. Just press it lightly with your thumb. It prevents the burger from developing a hump in the middle, thus the additions and the bun sit on the burger better. :angel:

About once a month I bring my Weber (Genesis) gas grill to work and cook lunch for my coworkers. My burgers are extremely popular, so I have some credibility on this topic.

1) Gas grills with "flavorizer" bars (like Weber) are better for cooking burgers than charcoal grills. I think it's because the water vapor given off when burning gas helps keep the burger juicy. Let me know if you want a more detailed (technical) explanation of the difference between charcoal and gas grilling.

Combustion always results in water, gas is wetter than charcoal but charcoal will release water vapor as well. The "flavorizer" bars tend to vaporize fat.

2) I use 80% ground beef. Leaner ground beef doesn't have enough fat for a good, juicy burger.

I disagree. Leaner ground beef is less tolerant of overcooking and staying juicy though.

4) Muenster is the best cheese to use for cheeseburgers. When I cook burgers for a crowd, the most frequent question I get is "What kind of cheese do you use?" This may be the most important point.

I disagree. Cheddar, especially a nice moderately sharp one is best. I particularly favor Boars Head Vermont sharp.

5) Use a premium grade bun. I like Brownberry brand (which may be regional) onion buns and whole wheat buns.

Love a good onion bun. Any good bun should work, depending on preference. Not a fan of whole wheat myself, but if you like it then that's the choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom