"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

About once a month I bring my Weber (Genesis) gas grill to work and cook lunch for my coworkers. My burgers are extremely popular, so I have some credibility on this topic.

1) Gas grills with "flavorizer" bars (like Weber) are better for cooking burgers than charcoal grills. I think it's because the water vapor given off when burning gas helps keep the burger juicy. Let me know if you want a more detailed (technical) explanation of the difference between charcoal and gas grilling.

2) I use 80% ground beef. Leaner ground beef doesn't have enough fat for a good, juicy burger.

3) The only seasoning I use is a slight dusting of Lawry's Seasoned Salt followed by a heavier amount of course ground black pepper.

4) Muenster is the best cheese to use for cheeseburgers. When I cook burgers for a crowd, the most frequent question I get is "What kind of cheese do you use?" This may be the most important point.

5) Use a premium grade bun. I like Brownberry brand (which may be regional) onion buns and whole wheat buns.

6) If cooking burgers in a skillet, put a couple onion slices in with the burgers and make sure the onion slices are cooked in the grease given off by the burgers. Onions cooked in hamburger fat are amazing!

My favorite burger is a grilled Muenster cheeseburger on a premium bun topped only with mayo and a tomato slice; simple but very good. I hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Whether it is ground chuck or top sirloin I always add 1/8-1/4 cup of milk to ground beef. The enzymes in the milk helps tenderize the meat and keep it juicy. I also make a slight indention in the middle top of the raw burger. Just press it lightly with your thumb. It prevents the burger from developing a hump in the middle, thus the additions and the bun sit on the burger better.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill with Bill View Post
About once a month I bring my Weber (Genesis) gas grill to work and cook lunch for my coworkers. My burgers are extremely popular, so I have some credibility on this topic.

1) Gas grills with "flavorizer" bars (like Weber) are better for cooking burgers than charcoal grills. I think it's because the water vapor given off when burning gas helps keep the burger juicy. Let me know if you want a more detailed (technical) explanation of the difference between charcoal and gas grilling.
Combustion always results in water, gas is wetter than charcoal but charcoal will release water vapor as well. The "flavorizer" bars tend to vaporize fat.

Quote:
2) I use 80% ground beef. Leaner ground beef doesn't have enough fat for a good, juicy burger.
I disagree. Leaner ground beef is less tolerant of overcooking and staying juicy though.

Quote:
4) Muenster is the best cheese to use for cheeseburgers. When I cook burgers for a crowd, the most frequent question I get is "What kind of cheese do you use?" This may be the most important point.
I disagree. Cheddar, especially a nice moderately sharp one is best. I particularly favor Boars Head Vermont sharp.

Quote:
5) Use a premium grade bun. I like Brownberry brand (which may be regional) onion buns and whole wheat buns.
Love a good onion bun. Any good bun should work, depending on preference. Not a fan of whole wheat myself, but if you like it then that's the choice.

Tags
hamburger, other