"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hamburger, recommendations please

I'm looking for good hamburger recipes and cooking techniques. I've tried ground round, beef and sirloin, pre frozen patties and even Philly Gourmet burgers from my local grocery store, but they don't taste as good as what I can buy at a local bar or car shows that I go to. I've cooked them on my Foreman grill and even on a regular propane grill.

gransport3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Welcome to D.C.!
You can add almost anything to ground beef, but you need to start with good quality beef. I prefer ground chuck. True, it likely ain't the most healthful, but it makes great burgers. If your neighborhood permits it, you might try cooking your burgers over a open fire. Otherwise, I recommend charcoal over the Foreman grill or propane, but that is just my preference. You can devise a way to support a grate over the fire, such as a couple of cinder blocks and the grate from most any kind of grill.
One tip to remember: Don't press the burgers down with your spatula during cooking. Your burgers will probably cook faster but they will be dry.
Take a look here for some ideas. You are only limited by your imagination.
Burger Recipes

I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I had some of the best burgers I've ever eaten last Fall at an aspirin shoot. The guy in charge of the burger added seasoning salt, Worcestershire and MSG. But I really think that it being 45F outside and blowin' like the dickens, coupled with somebody else was cooking them made them taste extra special. I haven't been able to replicate them.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef
You can kill two birds with one author, Marcel Desaulniers. Both your burger and chocolate cravings. "The Burger Meister" and "Death by Chocolate".
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Sous Chef
I only use Costco hamburger and usually cook at least 12 patties at a time for the two of us. We eat two, and I freeze the rest. With this method my only goal is for a good, doesn't have to be like a fabulous $15 burger, just good. I usually reach that goal simply by wrapping the burger with sandwich wrap paper. (even the microwaved ones) Just a few seconds improves the burger. Ditto almost any other sandwich. Sandwiches like to be swaddled.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Master Chef
70% fat free ground chuck, preferably ground at home. Form patties, do not press too hard, just firm enough, season in both sides with the seasoning you like. Preheat the grill so it is hot then cook on both sides. Do not overcook. Use good buns, sometimes good bun can make even bad hamburger good. Add whatever you like: cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried mushrooms (my favorite), onion, sauteed onions, pickle. Well, you get the picture.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I get 1/3 pound hamburger patties from Omaha Steaks. I can fry them in a skillet, grill them on my George Foreman, toss them on the gas grill, or broil them in the oven, then I add bacon strips and jalopy pepper slices on top, melt real cheddar cheese slices on top of that to hold the bacon and peppers in place, and let it rest for 10 minutes. I put the burgers on a fresh whole grain bun with ketchup and mustard on the bottom and chipotle mayonnaise or thousand island dressing, lettuce and tomato on top. For friends I can add sliced red onion, but onions and I have a mutual non-aggression pact, so there's never any onions on mine.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Master Chef
Ground chuck patties seasoned simply with S&P and grilled on a screaming hot charcoal hibachi are da bomb. Best burgers in L.A.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Master Chef
Site Administrator
Grind your own. Chuck makes great burgers.

I use salt and cayenne on mine usually. Grill em on a very hot grill...

And as Charlie pointed out, a great bun elevates a burger.
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to Lindacargillselfe
Adding some fresh parsley and finely chopped garlic is a great way to produce a tasty burger! Using freshly ground mince with some fat content definitely produces the best results.
As CharlieD says don't press the burger down when its cooking, best to press it down fairly flat before you put it on to cook, that way it will cook through and stay moist.

Lindacargillselfe is offline   Reply With Quote

hamburger, other