"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

I grew up on thin, pressed hamburgers. Mom had a cute wooden hinged press that she would (have me) use. Now I use nothing but my hands to press those babies.

Our corner grocery store grinds their own in-house. We have never had a bad batch of meat from them. Besides, I know where the butcher lives... five houses up the street from us! The store has three standing "Wacky Wednesday" deals every week. One is ground beef on sale, your choice of 80%, 85% or 90% lean. I've actually used the 90% lean since I always make a burger mix with a few breadcrumbs and an egg per pound added in. The last couple of times I bought the 85% since the label stated "Certified Angus Beef" - the others didn't.

I make the burgers up when I buy the beef, patting them together ever so gently, and then freeze them. That way when Himself puts them on the grill they set up firm on their first side and don't break up when he flips them.

The only time I use preformed burgers is in the winter. I buy turkey burgers to fry out on my CI pan or griddle. If I use my own beef burgers I seem to get the smoke detector singing.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
Head Chef

I love the idea of using the tortilla press.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

we also prefer hand made burgers to machine formed. although, it's easier to make juicy lucys with formed patties than free hand.

i also like a very lean burger. we've been eating a lot of buffalo meat lately, and i think the ground buffalo is around 90/10. i like the chewiness of leaner burgers.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have tried preformed patties and always return to the old fashioned way. Shape your own.

I take a sheet of wax paper and press it between the paper. I can get it very thin this way. To keep it round, just pull the paper back and push in the sides until its uniform.
Making them this way makes them just over bun size and keeps them from turning into turtle shape. Its easy too.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

I also use 80/20, form a ball lightly, place between wax paper, and use a flat bottomed plate to press. Then season with S&P before grilling.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Oooh... another burger thread.

I think there's something inherently odd about using McDonald's as a model for good burgers. I don't eat there much these days, but have always found their burgers to be tough and tasteless without all the toppings. Furthermore, if you like McDonald's, why not just eat at McDonald's? You probably aren't going to be able to beat the price by making your own McBurger at home.

Personally, I prefer my own home burger recipe. They're extremely tasty and, best of all, there's nothing complicated about them:
  1. Mix equal parts of ground chuck (80/20) and ground sirloin (85/15).
  2. Form 1/3 lb patties about 1" thick.
  3. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
  4. Grill to desired level of doneness.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm not a fan of thin burgers, but grew up with them that way, too. I like them at least as thick as half of the bun. Hand formed, 80/20, just s & p, and grilled over hardwood charcoal. And for me, the buns need to be split open and toasted on the grill off to the side, when the burgers are almost done. It doesn't seem like a grilled burger meal to me without toasted buns. A thick slice of tomato, just a little mayo, and no catsup.

Now I want a grilled burger.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Master Chef

The first day I came to America, uncle of my ex, took us for "the experience of your life". Experience it was. He took us to McDonald's. If I had to pick one, the absolutely most disgusting meal in my life, including Soviet Army (and that was a horrific food experience) that McDonald's hamburger was it. I cannot even describe to you how terrible I felt. The only thing I can say, I did not eat hamburgers for at least 5 years after that. I would grill some for my wife and still would not touch it myself.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The first day I came to America, uncle of my ex, took us for "the experience of your life". Experience it was. He took us to McDonald's. If I had to pick one, the absolutely most disgusting meal in my life, including Soviet Army (and that was a horrific food experience) that McDonald's hamburger was it. I cannot even describe to you how terrible I felt. The only thing I can say, I did not eat hamburgers for at least 5 years after that. I would grill some for my wife and still would not touch it myself.
One unsatisfied customer out of 300 billion sold. ...YOU FREAK!!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been biting my tongue...I am really surprised by the number of folks who buy preformed burgers. Burgers are one of the easiest things to make (after grilled cheese sandwiches).

Tags
ham, hamburger