Hamburgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're not huge burger eaters here, except for an occasional one at Hardee's on our way to or from a doctor's appointment or running errands.

Once in a great while, I'll purchase a small package of frozen patties to have when there are no homemade meals in the freezer and I don't have the time or energy to cook. Have probably only done that three times in my cooking career.

[snip] He told me once what went into the hamburger. Since then, before I even had my KA and the grinder attachment, I have not bought ground meat at any store. I am not saying that it is the same at all grocery stores that sell hamburger, just that I don't trust anyone today with selling me ground meat. I really insist on knowing what I am eating. :angel:

That's kinda where I'm at too.

Too many stories about tainted meat products.

Especially ground product.

I know what I buy.

I have a grinder.

Doesn't take much time so why not?

Pressing it into a patty is low on the list of concerns.

Yeah my burgers might not be a perfect circle to fit the bun but I have less worries about what might or might not have been ground into the mix.

When I was in high school my step-brother who worked graveyard at a Jack-In-The-Box at the time told me what they did to their burger patties before grilling them. I have not set foot in a JackInTheBox in over 40 years. I love their commercials though...

So the other day I made smash burgers using the smash method. Smash the ball of ground beef on the screaming hot flat top griddle into a patty using a stiff spatula. I really couldn't tell any diff between doing this and forming patties beforehand.

Enough Bickering, I am close to closing this thread and making people take a time out.

From our Community Rules:

Be Courteous! [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our philosophy is that we want Discuss Cooking to be an online reflection of the family kitchen.
  • Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
  • Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
  • Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot.
  • Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.
  • Posts containing rude, explicit, obscene or vulgar language or abbreviations, images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter may be removed.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
  • Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
  • Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
  • Discussions about politics and religion are not permitted.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

roadfix, i was just thinking of how to make a good smash burger.
i mean, i always form the edges of my burgers so they end up nice and even, but i kinda like the look of a burger with irregular edges. when i've tried to "make" them with the edges, they've always broken up a bit.

i'll have to try the ball-smash method. i rarely cook burgers on anything but a grill or grill pan, so it's time to pull out the cast iron.

roadfix, i was just thinking of how to make a good smash burger.
i mean, i always form the edges of my burgers so they end up nice and even, but i kinda like the look of a burger with irregular edges. when i've tried to "make" them with the edges, they've always broken up a bit.

Whether I form by hand or press them between wax paper my edges look like these now. And they stay together.
I used to be anal about forming clean, solid edges a few years back but I now love the look and texture of rugged edges.

img_1383656_0_3691e643a548bf5bf5bb2377058deac8.jpg

exactly. i don't know why a burger looks and seemingly tastes better smashed rather than uniform.
thanks again.

At work I grind around 80 lbs of lean meat a week. I do a double grind to which I add another 10 to 15 of steak trimmings from ribe eyes and strip loins. Lightly seasoned, then we do up around 180 to 200, 6 oz patties.(save some for other recipes like soup, meat sauce etc.) Hand roll and flatten between wax patty papers with a plate. We start our burgers on the flat grill, flip once then emmediately flatten out and transfer to the char grill. I like to brush them with a bit of melted garlic spread to encourage flaring and charring. Once they have gotten charred after a couple of minutes I move them to the med heat and add my cheese or whatever and let them finish gently while we are preparing other orders.

Which reminds me. Today is Saturday. I will be doing them later this afternoon....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom