Hamburgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The other night is when I said "I've had it" with those preformed frozen 1/3 lb patties you get at supermarkets. I tried at least 4 or 5 brands. Kroger, Bubba, Safeway Select, Butchers Pride, etc. I always remembered to get the freshest bags too, where you could see thru the bag. I looked for bags with the most red looking patties. I cooked them up perfectly with a bit of red showing in the center but couldn't still couldn't really taste it! I might make my own frozen patties tho for convience , using fresh ground beef and squashing them into round patties between pieces of wax paper, and then freezing them. A specialty freezer for flash freezing foods sure would be nice. Way expensive.

Last edited:
The other night is when I said "I've had it" with those preformed frozen 1/3 lb patties you get at supermarkets. I tried at least 4 or 5 brands. Kroger, Bubba, Safeway Select, Butchers Pride, etc. I always remembered to get the freshest bags too, where you could see thru the bag. I looked for bags with the most red looking patties. I cooked them up perfectly with a bit of red showing in the center but couldn't still couldn't really taste it! I might make my own frozen patties tho for convience , using fresh ground beef and squashing them into round patties between pieces of wax paper, and then freezing them. A specialty freezer for flash freezing foods sure would be nice. Way expensive.
I love my little upright freezer that has a flash freeze setting at this time of year.

I have been biting my tongue...I am really surprised by the number of folks who buy preformed burgers. Burgers are one of the easiest things to make (after grilled cheese sandwiches).

I think it's likely that the people responding to this thread are more likely to use pre-formed burgers. I bought them a couple times years ago but we prefer to make them ourselves.

Then there are two freaks here. I can't stand the things either. Heck, the only thing I might buy at a Mickey D's is coffee...and then only if it's Newman's Own.

It was just another post about cooking hamburgers. Btw, go no bigger than 2 oz. ball of meat when you squash them down to round patties. I made each pattie bigger at 2.35 oz each...times 4. They tasted beefy cheesy good, but I was gut busted. :ROFLMAO: 2 double cheese burgers. Btw, buy the regular small sized sesame buns.

Last edited:
Hardee's Mushroom Swiss burger, IMHO, is wonderful, and a standard to which I hold all fast food burgers. The best knockoff of it uses premade patties, Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup, and Swiss cheese. Here's one, though I know the first knockoff I found specifically called for frozen patties, and it was spot-on. http://www.food.com/recipe/hardees-mushroom-and-swiss-burger-11789

Last edited:
I bought pre-formed, frozen, burger patties at Costco. They are a time saver. You can pull out however many patties you want and just throw them on a frying pan. They cost the same as the ground beef and the package said that the only ingredient was beef. We didn't like them, so we haven't bought them since.

Sure, it only takes a minute to form a patty out of ground beef. But, I have to make all the patties when I buy the meat or at least portion the meat into patty sizes and then freeze it. If I don't portion it, then when I want to use it I have to wait for a larger chunk of ground beef to thaw. Often after a big shopping trip, I just don't have the energy or time to start playing with ground beef.

If I could get good quality, pre-formed, frozen, burger patties at the price of ground beef that tasted good, I would buy and use them.

And for me, the buns need to be split open and toasted on the grill off to the side, when the burgers are almost done. It doesn't seem like a grilled burger meal to me without toasted buns.

I also require a toasted or warmed bun. Preferably with a bit of grease attached.

I bought pre-formed, frozen, burger patties at Costco. They are a time saver. You can pull out however many patties you want and just throw them on a frying pan. They cost the same as the ground beef and the package said that the only ingredient was beef. We didn't like them, so we haven't bought them since.

Sure, it only takes a minute to form a patty out of ground beef. But, I have to make all the patties when I buy the meat or at least portion the meat into patty sizes and then freeze it. If I don't portion it, then when I want to use it I have to wait for a larger chunk of ground beef to thaw. Often after a big shopping trip, I just don't have the energy or time to start playing with ground beef.

If I could get good quality, pre-formed, frozen, burger patties at the price of ground beef that tasted good, I would buy and use them.

Well said.
Sometimes even the best of chefs and or cooks look for ways to save time and save extra work. While preformed patties are not very good, they do serve a purpose. It seems that purpose was explained in your post.

Pre-formed patties (from costco) are very convenient if you're cooking for a large party. That and their institution sized bags of burger buns.

We got them one time. They served the purpose. But lacked the genuine look and taste of a home made hamburger pattie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me a burger snob if you'd like but I grind my own burger meat so I know what's in it and feel safe cooking it to less then well done.

Ain't no big deal forming it into a patty to toss on the heat source desired for the occasion.

That being said. I have to say that about once every 6 months I have a Big Mac Attack and simply want one of those greasy, salty, preformed burgers that no one will admit to eating yet seem to know a lot about. :rolleyes:

Then there are two freaks here. I can't stand the things either. Heck, the only thing I might buy at a Mickey D's is coffee...and then only if it's Newman's Own.

Can I join? I have never bought a preformed raw burger. You pay for that extra step of labor. And I refuse to pay for it when I can easily do it myself. And here it is the end of August and I have yet to buy my once a year burger at Burger King. Looks like I am not going to get my yearly burger there. I only have bought it in the summer. :angel:

Hardee's Mushroom Swiss burger, IMHO, is wonderful, and a standard to which I hold all fast food burgers. The best knockoff of it uses premade patties, Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup, and Swiss cheese. Here's one, though I know the first knockoff I found specifically called for frozen patties, and it was spot-on. Hardees Mushroom And Swiss Burger Recipe - Food.com

Hardee's has some really good things, but here, most of their restaurants are old and run down and just have a not so appealing vibe. It's too bad because their menu is pretty solid for fast food.

The best burgers, IMO, are those made from meat that you grind yourself. I have been known to take a sirloin steak, grind it, add some ground pork fat or bacon, S&P and call it a burger. I don't eat burgers that often and when I do, they are bunless--love my burger open-faced on a grilled portebello mushroom.

I am with you on this one. I always grind my own hamburger. Specially if a London broil is on sale. I will buy two or more and grind my heart out. They just taste so fresh and like real meat! Since they usually have little fat, I will ask my butcher for some beef suet. I grind it up to mix in with the meat. Well worth the effort and labor. :angel:

Hardee's has some really good things, but here, most of their restaurants are old and run down and just have a not so appealing vibe. It's too bad because their menu is pretty solid for fast food.

We usually run through the drive-thru here, and don't eat inside, but it's definitely our go-to fast food place. Love their hand-breaded chicken tenders too! We used to get coupons in a flier, but haven't seen them lately.

Call me a burger snob if you'd like but I grind my own burger meat so I know what's in it and feel safe cooking it to less then well done.
Ain't no big deal forming it into a patty to toss on the heat source desired for the occasion.

That being said. I have to say that about once every 6 months I have a Big Mac Attack and simply want one of those greasy, salty, preformed burgers that no one will admit to eating yet seem to know a lot about. :rolleyes:

Spike's godfather was a meat cutter for years at Stop and Shop here locally. It is a large grocery store chain here in the east. He told me once what went into the hamburger. Since then, before I even had my KA and the grinder attachment, I have not bought ground meat at any store. I am not saying that it is the same at all grocery stores that sell hamburger, just that I don't trust anyone today with selling me ground meat. I really insist on knowing what I am eating. :angel:

We usually run through the drive-thru here, and don't eat inside, but it's definitely our go-to fast food place. Love their hand-breaded chicken tenders too! We used to get coupons in a flier, but haven't seen them lately.

Oh those chicken tenders are my favorite thing there!

Back
Top Bottom