"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

Hamburgers

My home burger making experience hadn't been all the great over the years.

I'd been buying frozen patties for convenience and after trying many brands, I found they all had something in common. They all had little or no hamburger taste. And when I made my own patties out of fresh hamburger, they weren't cooked up right or fell apart or something. I wanted to make a hamburger that resembled McDonalds or the like. It didn't have to be a huge fat burger, just a simple regular burger. I came across this site and followed what he did and I have say, they tasted delicious!

The thinner burgers cook up fast and easy. Each double I fry up has a slice of cheese in the middle that melts and is set aside while I make another. Then I put them together on the buns

Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

I tried a couple different brands of preformed frozen 100% all beef patties and could not find one I enjoyed. They tasted ok. It was the texture that I had an issue with, they were tough and contained bits of gristle. I'm sure they were 100% beef, not sure what parts. Now I make up a few burgers from 90% lean ground beef and freeze them. Sometimes I just shape and freeze the beef other times I make them using my standard meatloaf/meatball recipe.

I like the sound of your burger with the cheese in the middle, slathered with Comeback Sauce!

It sort of reminds me of a Jucy Lucy or a Patty Melt.

I like to add some onions that have been fried in bacon fat as one of the toppings and serve it on onion rye toast. Be sure to shape the burger to fit the toast, you can't do that with those frozen preformed patties!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This does sound good! Thanks Caslon!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Checked the site out and looks good. I will give this one a go, thanks for the link. Does anyone here grind there own mince?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have not been happy with preformed burgers. They tend to be very compressed and dense. They cook differently. I'm happy to shape my own. I buy ground beef in 6-pound packages then form them into half-pound blocks. I wrap the blocks in plastic wrap and freeze them on a half sheet tray. Then the frozen packets go into a Ziplock and the freezer.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The best burgers, IMO, are those made from meat that you grind yourself. I have been known to take a sirloin steak, grind it, add some ground pork fat or bacon, S&P and call it a burger. I don't eat burgers that often and when I do, they are bunless--love my burger open-faced on a grilled portebello mushroom.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Sous Chef

My family despises preformed burgers. There's so little work in making a hamburger I do it myself and I'm a big fan of using easy to use products.
For a simple burger, using Costco ground beef, I pat out a patty (starting with a ball about the size of a tennis ball) that will fit the bun pressing a divot in the center. Slap it on the grill,griddle or into the pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic or onions granules. We like ours with no pink and usually add cheese. Add condiments to the heated bun and wrapped the burger. Burgers, like most sandwiches, like to be swaddled for a few seconds to get acquainted with the other ingredients in the sandwich. There's not much worse than a hamburger getting cold sitting in a cold bun. A plain mustard burger is tolerable if it's been swaddles for a minute or so.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

Nice find Caslon....thanks for the link. I don't have a tortilla press, but I do have a two piece plastic patty maker that works well.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkel View Post
Checked the site out and looks good. I will give this one a go, thanks for the link. Does anyone here grind there own mince?
No, but some say the best is to use ground chuck. If that's so, then what do all the supermarkets grind up when they label it hamburger??? Anyways, for hamburger I buy 80%-20% fat , tho I hear 70%-30% fat makes for a juicer more flavorful hamburger. The thing is, 70%-30% looks almost pink because of the fat content. I'll try 70%-30% next time just to see how it tastes.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
No, but some say the best is to use ground chuck. If that's so, then what do all the supermarkets grind up when they label it hamburger??? Anyways, for hamburger I buy 80%-20% fat , tho I hear 70%-30% fat makes for a juicer more flavorful hamburger. The thing is, 70%-30% looks almost pink because of the fat content. I'll try 70%-30% next time just to see how it tastes.
The fat content in gr. chuck is 20%. They can't label it gr. chuck unless it contains nothing but chuck. Although fat is flavor, at some point the shrinkage of the meat becomes a factor with more than 20% fat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ham, hamburger