"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek uses the egg rings he got, he says they make it just right. I just use my hands and ask him how much he wants me to use.

Maybe, put the ground meat mix on plastic, cover it with another piece, lay 1/2 inch stick on each side, roll it out and then cut out like cookies.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek uses the egg rings he got, he says they make it just right. I just use my hands and ask him how much he wants me to use.

Maybe, put the ground meat mix on plastic, cover it with another piece, lay 1/2 inch stick on each side, roll it out and then cut out like cookies.
I've done that too--rolled the ground beef out 1/2" thick and cut with one of my biscuit cutters. I put pieces of parchment paper between the burgers. I just don't keep that much ground beef in the house...not something I use often.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I came across this method for easily making lots of burger patties, and it worked so well I thought I would share it for anyone who has never heard of it. Works great for square or round patties.

Roll hamburger into a log. Use loaf pan, or just bang on counter for square edges (I made mine round). Freeze for 30 min, or until beginning to firm up. Slice into patties with sharp knife.

I weighed each patty (I made ten) just to see, and all but one were within 1/8 of an ounce. The tenth was 1/4 ounce larger than the rest lol. Big deal, right?? I did do minimal shaping, to make the edges nice, and make them perfectly round, but you wouldn't have to. I'm just anal (I fixed them so they were all exactly the same weight too).

Next time just for fun, I think I'm going to mix in some seasonings before I roll up my log.
I like this idea and will be using it in the future. I've always mixed seasonings into ground beef to make our hamburgers but hated the making patties part.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I go with Heston on this one. He uses salt and plastic wrap to bind the ground beef together.

Good luck guys :)
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I am gong to be looking for a couple of large chuck roasts tomorrow to grind for patties and Swedish Meatballs. I find that if I roll the log into 12" and with a ruler cut at 6". Then cut those two parts into 3" sections and then those sections in half again, they are all the same size and weight. I dread tomorrow morning. Grocery shopping day. I don't know why I am complaining. Spike brings in all my groceries from the car and then puts them all away. All I have to do is say "Thank You."
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

What a great idea Skittle!!
I often do things like that for cookie measurement, but hadn't ever considered it for hamburger patties - thanks! :D
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

The easiest thing to do is to spread ground meat on the surface to desired thickness take the big egg ring or other type cutter, I prefer an empty can, just rinsed in cold water. Then just cut out the patties one by one. Collect them spread the leftover meat again and repeat. I made 200 hamburgers for my daughter’s party like that in minutes.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm liking all these ideas!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

I crush my tennis ball sized ground beef with a small pan. I love how the edges of these patties look.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I will probably use Skittle's method the next time I buy ground beef in a big blob. I usually buy ground beef at Costco already shaped into patties. It's the same ground beef they sell in the big blob and it looks like they use Skittle's method. One of those patties weighs about 1/2 pound. I wrap them individually and then I just grab however many I need. When Stirling and I are having hamburgers we usually defrost two patties and reshape into three patties. For hamburgers for two people that's not really much effort.

Tags
None