Have: Top round roast. Don't have: Crock pot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
... or dutch oven. I do have a big ol pot that I usually use for crab legs that's big enough to hold the roast and veggies, though. I'd like to cook this on the stove, but all the recipes I see talk about crock pot temperature settings that I don't know how to translate to the stove. Lil help?

This link may be of use to you if you wanted to stick it in an oven instead:
Cook a Roast

My mum though would brown the roast in melted fat/oil/butter on all sides, then put lid on pot over a low heat for about 60 to 90 minutes for about a 2.5lb roast, adding some water to the base after about 15 minutes (you are just adding the liquid to stop the meat and pot burning). Add your veges about half an hour before serving with some extra water. Just remember to keep some water in the pan, so monitor it regularly.

Have not done a top round but have done pork loins on the stove.

Usually brown the roast and then add the makings for the gravy. with the pork it is usually tomato based. Course there are onions, carrots, spices and whatever else we feel would taste good.

We simmer for about 4 or 5 hours. By then it is usually done.

That's all I have.

Brown the roast on all sides in hot oil. Add some chopped celery onion and carrots, tomato paste, wine, beef broth and thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer. covered for 3-4 hours or until the roast is fork tender. (internal temperature of 190F

I'd do as Andy suggests, but after bringing to a boil, put it in a 325 degree F oven. This will prevent the meat from scorching on the bottom of the pot. In fact, I just made a pot roast for dinner this past Sunday using this method. Turned out great :chef:

Awesome - thanks folks - going to do it now!

EDIT: Newbie question: The roast is wrapped up in twine. Do you brown/cook the roast with the twine on, or remove it?

Last edited:
lol - ask a jillion cooks a question, get a jillion different answers. Or two, at any rate :)

I left it on - no offense gotgarlic - I just flipped a coin.

Back
Top Bottom